11th October 2018, 10:52 PM |#2  
Flag Port-Au-Prince
Thanks Meter: 1,042

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmdalsfaf

Hello guys i found this thread about 3.10 kernel for msm8974 devices
since it's the same hardware SOC why not porting it to our klte also if we managed to we could have treble also and a lots of new improvements what you think ???

would be nice if you posted the source of the kernel , for a kernel dev to take a look at what device it came from and if the hardware are the same , 2nd there are several variants of the msm8974 SOC family . for example the 1+1 is a msm8974 the Note 3 is a 8974 but if you flash either kernel on the s5 thats a insta-brick.

Now that could help us out is if the device you found went from let say kernel version 3.4.xx to 3.10 with kernel patches/updates that right there could be possible for the s5 and that is not even a sure thing . at best its a possibility but sadly the way i see it S5 won't ever get treble. best if you saved some money and on the budget side grab a brand new Mi A1 or Mi A2 , easily unlock bootloader and treble the device up with the twrp recovery ( A1 ) not sure about A2 ( saving up for that as we speak ) and then just flash away any gsi roms you like the support's the a/b style partitions .
12th October 2018, 11:37 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hama
Thanks Meter: 240

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazuDante

would be nice if you posted the source of the kernel , for a kernel dev to take a look at what device it came from and if the hardware are the same , 2nd there are several variants of the msm8974 SOC family . for example the 1+1 is a msm8974 the Note 3 is a 8974 but if you flash either kernel on the s5 thats a insta-brick.

Now that could help us out is if the device you found went from let say kernel version 3.4.xx to 3.10 with kernel patches/updates that right there could be possible for the s5 and that is not even a sure thing . at best its a possibility but sadly the way i see it S5 won't ever get treble. best if you saved some money and on the budget side grab a brand new Mi A1 or Mi A2 , easily unlock bootloader and treble the device up with the twrp recovery ( A1 ) not sure about A2 ( saving up for that as we speak ) and then just flash away any gsi roms you like the support's the a/b style partitions .

Nice, first i'm not a pro in kernels sources and i didn't post this for treble only it's for a huge step in klte kernel forums
BTW i have an s6 edge and pocophone but the S5 is one of my nice design phone i've ever used it's my friend
also the kernel source can be found in the dev thread that i totally forget to insert the link sorry
12th October 2018, 11:39 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hama

More
Quote:

Nice, first i'm not a pro in kernels sources and i didn't post this for treble only it's for a huge step in klte kernel forums
BTW i have an s6 edge and pocophone but the S5 is one of my nice design phone i've ever used it's my friend
also the kernel source can be found in the dev thread that i totally forget to insert the link sorry

also the kernel devs said that "we are cooking 1 kernel for all msm8974 devices for all custom roms"
12th October 2018, 02:19 PM |#5  
Flag Port-Au-Prince
Thanks Meter: 1,042

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

also the kernel devs said that "we are cooking 1 kernel for all msm8974 devices for all custom roms"

can you post links I would like to take a look at the work that specific dev has done and the kernel source he's working on.
12th October 2018, 07:54 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hama

More
i really don't know how to, but i edited the thread and add the thread link for the dev check it out !!
3rd December 2018, 02:05 PM |#7  
Flag Southwest, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 134

Donate to Me
More
WOW.... you can get some info from the Link....
Sony Z3 !! not Samsung Galaxy S5....
That was over quick
3rd January 2019, 12:22 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hama

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofsalt

WOW.... you can get some info from the Link....
Sony Z3 !! not Samsung Galaxy S5....
That was over quick

It's the same chipset anyway
21st March 2019, 12:14 AM |#9  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,013

Donate to Me
More
Hello. I started merging Linux 3.5 into our device's kernel source from 3.4.0. I managed to resolve some conflicts and only mm and kernel subsystems are left. It's still a long way though, it won't build right away
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pascua28 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
jerpelea
Previous Thread Next Thread