Downgrade to 4.4.2 factory test firmware for SM-S903VL

Search This thread

mortj19

Sep 17, 2011
SmallTown, KS
I found that you can use kingroot to root the factory test firmware for the SM-S903VL
This is the only root method I know and I belive it is the first for the SM-S903VL
The factory firmware has drawbacks, no text calling or downloads or play store.
If anyone can find a way to make this better and actually be able to use the play store phone and texting let us know.

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU DO THIS

Downgrade and root files found on my drive...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4954IfsDiYKendnaWN1cGZ2Snc

Use odin to flash and Kingroot to root, may take a few tries.

If you are done and need to flash back to stock firmware flash these files with odin...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4954IfsDiYKUmkyZkNIMVhrOUk

omgitsMATT

Oct 7, 2014
OnePlus 11
Definitely works. Root verified. I'm going to stay here and mess around for awhile and see what I can get away with. I'm far from any kind of expert but this seems like a good sign.

mortj19

Sep 17, 2011
SmallTown, KS
Definitely works. Root verified. I'm going to stay here and mess around for awhile and see what I can get away with. I'm far from any kind of expert but this seems like a good sign.

I played with it for awhile, seems the bootloader is locked so that explains not being able to flash a custom recovery. I can't wait till development takes off.

omgitsMATT

Oct 7, 2014
OnePlus 11
I played with it for awhile, seems the bootloader is locked so that explains not being able to flash a custom recovery. I can't wait till development takes off.

I flashed a custom recovery used from one of the other S5 phones but it kept booting into a page that said take it to a Verizon employee. I assume that's because of the bootloader being locked. I installed Flashify with an apk and used that to flash.

Last edited:

mortj19

Sep 17, 2011
SmallTown, KS
I flashed a custom recovery used from one of the other S5 phones but it kept booting into a page that said take it to a Verizon employee. I assume that's because of the bootloader being locked. I installed Flashify with an apk and used that to flash.

flashify to flash what? sorry lol i got excited please tell me you found how to flash something that works

omgitsMATT

Oct 7, 2014
OnePlus 11
flashify to flash what? sorry lol i got excited please tell me you found how to flash something that works

I used Flashify to flash a custom recovery image, TWRP. It worked but the device wouldn't boot into the recovery image or even back into the operating system anymore. It went straight to a page telling me to take my phone to Verizon store so Verizon could fix my phone. I tripped something.

I just opened Odin and reflashed 4.4.2 and kept messing around, that fixed my phone.

Sorry, didn't mean to get your hopes up.

mortj19

Sep 17, 2011
SmallTown, KS
I used Flashify to flash a custom recovery image, TWRP. It worked but the device wouldn't boot into the recovery image or even back into the operating system anymore. It went straight to a page telling me to take my phone to Verizon store so Verizon could fix my phone. I tripped something.

I just opened Odin and reflashed 4.4.2 and kept messing around, that fixed my phone.

Sorry, didn't mean to get your hopes up.

aw poop, seems we need someone to make a safestrap or bootloader unlock method.. I wish we didn't have to fight to get root and recovery control...

omgitsMATT

Oct 7, 2014
OnePlus 11
aw poop, seems we need someone to make a safestrap or bootloader unlock method.. I wish we didn't have to fight to get root and recovery control...

I think you finding this method mentioned in this thread on the original post is a real winner. I think it might be the answer for someone to come in and start developing. *fingers crossed*

mortj19

Sep 17, 2011
SmallTown, KS
I think you finding this method mentioned in this thread on the original post is a real winner. I think it might be the answer for someone to come in and start developing. *fingers crossed*
Hopefully... It took forever to find the firmware files and I only just happened to investigate the factory test files and noticed it was 4.4.2 and decided to try out different one click roots for the heck of it...

parrotgeek1

Feb 14, 2014
parrotgeek.com
I found that you can use kingroot to root the factory test firmware for the SM-S903VL
This is the only root method I know and I belive it is the first for the SM-S903VL
The factory firmware has drawbacks, no text calling or downloads or play store.
If anyone can find a way to make this better and actually be able to use the play store phone and texting let us know.

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU DO THIS

Downgrade and root files found on my drive...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4954IfsDiYKendnaWN1cGZ2Snc

Use odin to flash and Kingroot to root, may take a few tries.

If you are done and need to flash back to stock firmware flash these files with odin...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4954IfsDiYKUmkyZkNIMVhrOUk

Where the hell did you find the stock 6.0.1 firmware?! Please tell me because I want to see if it has other "weird" Samsung firmware like s975L

omgitsMATT

Oct 7, 2014
OnePlus 11
Thanks!

I don't have this phone, but can you send me some screenshots of what apps are installed, and a screenshot of About phone menu, so that I can try to help with play store and phone/text?

I wasn't entirely sure what you wanted when it concerned Apps so I just went to settings and took screenshots of everything under Settings > Device > Apps

Reactions: parrotgeek1

parrotgeek1

Feb 14, 2014
parrotgeek.com
I wasn't entirely sure what you wanted when it concerned Apps so I just went to settings and took screenshots of everything under Settings > Device > Apps

thanks, also need lock screen, home screen, notifications

I want to see if the aosp apks could work

and thats it

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Im having difficulties waiting patiently for development. .....

Off topic: I was a burrito once
what

Reactions: omgitsMATT

omgitsMATT

Oct 7, 2014
OnePlus 11
thanks, also need lock screen, home screen, notifications

I want to see if the aosp apks could work

and thats it

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

what

I was able to get the home screen and notifications but there is this black transparent thing with yellow text that is getting in the way of everything, you can see it in the screenshots. Also because this is Factory Mode apparently there is no lock screen? I've rooted again and am trying to see if I can turn it off for you but here is what I got so far

Top Liked Posts