FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

Galaxy S5/Galaxy Note 3 Sprint help thread

1,359 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,524

By javelinanddart, Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 2nd November 2017, 04:58 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
The point of this thread is to have a general place for Sprint folks to help each other out.
I started it because I saw a lot of the same information getting repeated in the S5 thread.
I'll be keeping a list of a few tips and tricks to help get your Sprint S5/Note 3 working as best as it possibly can, and hopefully explain it in a straightforward matter.
If anyone has other suggestions of what should go here, please let me know.

Common problems:
1. LTE isn't working
Possible solutions:
1. Your network provisioning got weird somehow. Flash stock, update your PRL, update your Profile, and then flash Lineage again
2. Your sim card is very old, and we no longer have hacks to support it. Get a new one off eBay, and follow steps in solution 1 for provisioning. See list of working SIM cards below

2. Other network service isn't working
Possible solutions:
1. Your network provisioning got weird somehow. Flash stock, update your PRL, update your Profile, and then flash Lineage again

3. Phone is bouncing between network types
Possible solutions:
1. Try making a standard voice call, to force it to CDMA or EvDO, to help stabilize the connection

4. Voicemail notifications don't show
Disclaimer: Known bug, will not be fixed. This is because sometimes voicemail read signals don't get cleared properly in Sprint's system, so they show forever.
Possible workarounds:
1. Manually call voicemail whenever you get a missed call
2. Use Google Voice and forward calls and texts to a dummy number on your phone instead, or use Sprint's Google Voice integration

General Tips:
1. Don't mess with preferred network settings, I set them specifically to work properly on Sprint

Known working SIM cards:
SIMOLW216R
Known not working SIM cards:
SIMGLW206R
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to javelinanddart For This Useful Post: [ View ]

2nd November 2017, 07:17 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 90

More
I have a G900P with Virgin Mobile. I wanted to provide some info on the bouncing between GSM-CDMA issue. Today I wiped three times and flashed three builds (LineageOS 10/25, 11/1, and crDroid 10/26 based on LOS 10/25). In all three times, after wiping and flashing roms, I would see the phone bouncing CDMA-GSM when switching between preferred network types. Then I would dirty flash the same ROM (only the rom, nothing else), it seemed like this issue goes away and the phone is VERY stable. I will wipe again to see if I can keep replicating this phenomenon. You guys can try to dirty flash to see if it also fixes the LTE connection issue (nothing to lose). I saw it a few times but I couldn't see a pattern, and now that I have been switching preferred network types several times over the last few hours, I have not seen it anymore. I will keep testing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eurohunter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift eurohunter Ad-Free
2nd November 2017, 09:14 AM |#3  
The G900P radio issue has been going on forever. its almost as bad as the timezone bug we have had forever.

install rand g900p cyanogenmond/lineage rom.... go through install..... deal with phone trying to escape into wrong carrier or frequency... pray it remains stable for work.... post logcat hoping for fix..... repeat for several years with no avail......
2nd November 2017, 01:45 PM |#4  
OP Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Midwest

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurohunter

I have a G900P with Virgin Mobile. I wanted to provide some info on the bouncing between GSM-CDMA issue. Today I wiped three times and flashed three builds (LineageOS 10/25, 11/1, and crDroid 10/26 based on LOS 10/25). In all three times, after wiping and flashing roms, I would see the phone bouncing CDMA-GSM when switching between preferred network types. Then I would dirty flash the same ROM (only the rom, nothing else), it seemed like this issue goes away and the phone is VERY stable. I will wipe again to see if I can keep replicating this phenomenon. You guys can try to dirty flash to see if it also fixes the LTE connection issue (nothing to lose). I saw it a few times but I couldn't see a pattern, and now that I have been switching preferred network types several times over the last few hours, I have not seen it anymore. I will keep testing.

I'll add the suggestion to not mess with preferred network types, I set the default to what is ideal for Sprint. Did you dirty flash the ROMs over themselves? or over an older version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNeverwinter

The G900P radio issue has been going on forever. its almost as bad as the timezone bug we have had forever.

install rand g900p cyanogenmond/lineage rom.... go through install..... deal with phone trying to escape into wrong carrier or frequency... pray it remains stable for work.... post logcat hoping for fix..... repeat for several years with no avail......

I aim to improve that, at least a little bit. The stability has improved, from the feedback I've been getting. The timezone bug was fixed a long time ago as well, in May iirc (and it wasn't just Sprint, T-Mobile US and AT&T had it too)
15th November 2017, 05:04 AM |#5  
The network for sprint devices using; lineage-14.1-20171108-nightly-kltedv-signed is definitely better so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to TomNeverwinter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TomNeverwinter Ad-Free
15th November 2017, 06:25 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Sounds like you guys on sprint have some issues still ... I am running my g900p on att .... Works great i dont think i get full 4glte but i still average2-3 megs a second so its definitely not bad ... Fair trade off i guess.
18th November 2017, 01:33 PM |#7  
OP Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Midwest

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinheaD420

Sounds like you guys on sprint have some issues still ... I am running my g900p on att .... Works great i dont think i get full 4glte but i still average2-3 megs a second so its definitely not bad ... Fair trade off i guess.

I would imagine the LTE bands AT&T uses don't line up with Sprint's. I have similar issues on my G900F on T-Mobile, I frequently see H+/3G/E when I should have LTE.
As for Sprint issues, yeah, but it's a lot more manageable now. Most of the weird bugs/quirks are now just fixed by getting provisioning on stock, or a new sim card.
I always heard about what a PITA sprint was, and imagine it worked like crap then, but it's not too bad now. I still prefer T-Mobile, for various minor reasons,
but my hltespr on Tello (Sprint MVNO) makes a perfectly usable backup phone if anything goes wrong with my T-Mobile sim, and it wouldn't
really bother me to use it. That's pretty much my main goal: Make Sprint as usable as possible, so the user doesn't need to notice they're on Sprint.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javelinanddart For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th November 2017, 01:37 PM |#8  
Flag Washington, D.C.
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinanddart

I would imagine the LTE bands AT&T uses don't line up with Sprint's. I have similar issues on my G900F on T-Mobile, I frequently see H+/3G/E when I should have LTE.
As for Sprint issues, yeah, but it's a lot more manageable now. Most of the weird bugs/quirks are now just fixed by getting provisioning on stock, or a new sim card.
I always heard about what a PITA sprint was, and imagine it worked like crap then, but it's not too bad now. I still prefer T-Mobile, for various minor reasons,
but my hltespr on Tello (Sprint MVNO) makes a perfectly usable backup phone if anything goes wrong with my T-Mobile sim, and it wouldn't
really bother me to use it. That's pretty much my main goal: Make Sprint as usable as possible, so the user doesn't need to notice they're on Sprint.

Totally appreciate the efforts and this thread.

For me, you called it, by the way. Old-ass SIM card.
The Following User Says Thank You to meatfest1974 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift meatfest1974 Ad-Free
21st November 2017, 03:59 PM |#9  
Flag Washington, D.C.
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatfest1974

Totally appreciate the efforts and this thread.

For me, you called it, by the way. Old-ass SIM card.

Just to update, everything worked out well!

Upon replacing the old SIM with a new one, I still couldn't get past 3G. I flashed to stock CQD1 in Odin, updated the PRL and profile, ##72786# to reset, and still nothing.

After a few Google searches, a few forums suggested to call into Virgin Mobile to update the SIM's ICCID number, because this is the reason I couldn't get LTE; the ICCID didn't match the SIM card they had on file. Once done and after a final reboot back into stock, LTE success!
Flashed TWRP in Odin and restored a recent lineageOS backup, and LTE success!

Again, this board was very helpful, thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meatfest1974 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift meatfest1974 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)