[Q] S5 won't charge by usb (via pc)

Search This thread

McYora

Dec 8, 2013
Hey guys,

So bassicaly my galaxy s5 won't charge via pc/car stereo usb port. The pc recognizes the device, and vice versa but i keep losing percentage.
When i connect the phone i got it set a multimedia device.

Can yall help me out?

Sorry for my grammar, im dutch.

MadManMark

Nov 7, 2010
Hey guys,

So bassicaly my galaxy s5 won't charge via pc/car stereo usb port. The pc recognizes the device, and vice versa but i keep losing percentage.
When i connect the phone i got it set a multimedia device.

Can yall help me out?

Sorry for my grammar, im dutch.

Are you using official cables or cheap third party?

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app

termdj

Nov 13, 2013
I sometimes sit with the same problem. I use the Samsung provided cable. If I do use the phone for whatever I loose charge. Doesn't matter if I use usb 2 or 3 ports. Some days it would charge, but very slow. If I do get it to charge via usb, then it takes +- 8 hours. I did pick up that after a "usb" charge, the battery life sucks bad. Then I will barely get 12 hours and then I barely used my phone. When charging via the normal charger I get 2 days of life with the battery

pr1vate piles

Aug 19, 2010
Rotherham
Would a computer USB port put out enough current to charge the phone well? Don't PC usb ports only supply 500ma, I was under impression phones needed a good 1A or more to charge correctly.

McYora

Dec 8, 2013
Sorry for the late awnser,

Im using the original cable. I didn't have any of these problems w/ my old galaxy s1 and other phones.

GodsGift

Sep 16, 2008
The S5 has a bigger battery again over the S4 and my S4 only charged properly with the charger supplied.

I've tried charging my S5 with my wifes old S2 charger and it does but slowly. So always use the S5 dedicated one.

Also, USB trickle charges and the S5 is a power guzzler so the USB port wont give enough power to charge and use the phone at the same time. If in doubt then pub the phone in Ultra Power Saving mode while charging. Should charge quicker that way.

stoffan

Feb 25, 2011
Bratislava
similar situation with my S5 mini DUOS.
I have an always on wall charger with 2 USB sockets, giving 2A.
I have used it with all of my previous phones without any problem.
now, it just wont do anything with the S5 mini, doesnt matter wether I use the original cable which came with the original wall charger, or any other. the phone ignores it