[EOL] [KERNEL] [SM-G900F] [Lineage14/CM13/12.1/12/11] Boeffla-Kernel (28-03-2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

andrew2432

900f vs p compatibility? I saw earlier it was mentioned hardware may be different. The "other devices" link 404d. Some i thibk said they used in on kltespr. I'm leaving my s5 as the daily phone, not worried about radio frequencies as long as WiFi works. Will this work on a sprint variant? Can I flash it and try without thermonuclear war and return to stock/whatever in running now?

Last edited:

andip71

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2008
Potsdam
OnePlus 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
There have been five changes to the LOS kernel so far for the next LOS release. Will they still also be merged into the Boeffla kernel?
Only one of them is for the 900f,rest for a different variant.

As I wrote in my last release: only if something breaks the kernel, I will include it. So far this is not the case.

Andi

andip71

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2008
Potsdam
OnePlus 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Is there really a new commit for G900F ?
if you mean this one:
https://review.lineageos.org/#/c/LineageOS/android_kernel_samsung_msm8974/+/213464/

It says in the description:
* KACTIVE is a variant of K
so it is for klteactivexx and this isn't G900F ;)

regards

Yep, did not look into the commits so far. As I said - as long as nobody reports the kernel is broken, I have suspended my work on S5 and I am not looking into it anymore.

But now I checked the commits and can confirm, none of them are for the 900f.

Andi

jonny789

Oct 18, 2012
@Lord Boeffla How did you disable module sign verification ?
I have successfully compiled stock kernel from samsung sources for my galaxy S5 G900H on kali linux.
I am trying to compile some modules. For that I have starred these ::
Code:
[*] Enable loadable module support
  [CENTER]  [*]   Forced module loading [/CENTER]
   [CENTER]  [*]   Module unloading [/CENTER]
    [CENTER]  [*]   Forced module unloading [/CENTER]

I have rooted my phone and set selinux permissive mode. But trying to load these modules gives Exec format errors .
Code:
/system/bin/insmod asix.ko
insmod: failed to load asix.ko: Exec format error
In dmesg, it is showing ::
Code:
[ 5378.629376] [c3] TIMA: lkmauth--launch the tl to check kernel module; module len is 279631
[ 5378.630154] [c3] TIMA: lkmauth--cannot open mobicore session from kernel. 15
[ 5378.630296] [c3] TIMA: lkmauth--unable to load kernel module; module len is 279631.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ** Note: This kernel is end-of-life and will no more be maintained. There will be no LineageOS 15.1 or newer kernel be available anymore **

Hi all,

some of you know me from the Samsung devices area, where I provide my kernels already for more than two years to Galaxy S3 and Note 10.1 users for all sort of platforms (Samsung, Cyanogenmod, Omnirom etc.).
    Maybe you also know me from my OnePlus One kernels I added in winter last year to my portfolio.

Finally I got a Samsung Galaxy S5 afew weeks ago and decided to port my kernel also to this device. This is a sponsored device, so I want to say a big thank you to the people that made it possible, namely the ones in the German Smartphone Forum www.hubo.in !!!

Please note:
    I am not heading to have as many features as possible implemented, this is not my design goal. If you are more into that, move on to other, good existing kernels. If you are searching for a good mix of improvements and new functions while not sacrificing stability, you are welcome here (see below the history section for more info).

For the Samsung Stock Boeffla-Kernel, please go HERE.

Important notes

When using new anykernel concept Boeffla-Kernel: Flash stock kernel of rom first !

Compatibility

Important: This kernel is only meant to be compatible with official LineageOS/Cyanogenmod and nothing else.
    So when the kernel does not run on custom rom XYZ, do not even bother me with it or ask hundred times in the thread for compatibility.
    I could not care less about it !!

Support

First read the FAQ section on the Homepage !!!

Click here to learn about all possible kernel settings in the config app.
    Click here to learn about using the config app.

I will refuse to give support if you do any undervolting and experience freezes or hot reboots.

I will also not provide any support if you do not use Boeffla-Config app to tweak the kernel, other 3rd party tweaking apps are known (and intended) to cause issues.

I will refuse to give support if you have xposed framework installed and reporting any kind of weird issues. My opinion to xposed it quite clear: too powerful for >90% of the users that just mess up their system with it.

Change logs

(you can also access them directly in Boeffla-Config V2 by pressing menu and selecting "change log...")

Change log for CM14 kernels: CLICK HERE
    Change log for CM13 kernels: CLICK HERE
    Change log for CM12 kernels: CLICK HERE
    Change log for CM11 kernels: CLICK HERE

Features
    • Support of anykernel concept (only latest kernels) - flash stock kernel before flashing Boeffla
    • Full integration with Boeffla-Config V2 configuration app (get it from http://www.boeffla.de) to configure all kernel settings
    • Additional governors: zzmoove (Note: not considered stable at the moment, you might face reboots!!!), intelliactive, intellidemand, wheatley, smartmax, slim, intellimm, nightmare, lionheart, pegasusq
    • Zzmoove supporting native hotplugging profiles
    • Additional schedulers: fiops, bfq, sio, tripndroid, zen
    • Many Hotplug tweak profiles (Default, Optimized, 1 core max, 2 cores max, 3 cores max, 2 cores min, 3 cores min, 4 cores min, 2 cores exact, 3 cores exact)
    • Wake up gestures implemented (double-tap-to-wake, swipe to wake)
    • Boeffla-Sound engine (Headphones and speaker volume configurable)
    • Configurable vnswap
    • True dynamic FSync (activated if screen on, deactived if screen off), configurable
    • Touch boost frequency configurable, touch boost switch (all boosts removed by Lineage team in December 2016)
    • CPU Overclocking up to 2.84 GHz
    • CPU Voltages interface for undervolting/overvolting
    • GPU idle frequency 27 Mhz added
    • GPU governor selection support
    • Show GPU frequency usage per frequency in Boeffla-Config
    • Color control to adjust RGB color space + inverted mode
    • SD card read ahead buffer configurable (default increased to 1024 kB)
    • Ext4 File system tweaks (default to on, can be disabled)
    • System Tweaks predefined supported (default is off)
    • Android logger (logcat) configurable
    • Kernel logger (dmesg) configurable
    • Charge rates for AC charger, USB and wireless charging separately configurable (set charge rate to 0 to have stock charge logic back)
    • Charge information display support via Boeffla-Config V2 app
    • CIFS support (module, do not mount inside /data)
    • NFS support (module)
    • NTFS support (module)
    • XBox support (module)
    • OTG-Ethernet support (module)
    • TCP Congestion changed to Westwood
    • Swap supported (but not recommended, use zRam instead)
    • init.d support (in /system/etc/init.d - set correct permissions!)
    • Default entropies increased
    • Insecure kernel (adb has root privileges)
    • Automatic EFS backup
    • Kernel survival mode by Boeffla-Config app to survive CM rom flashes
    • Full support for mpdecision for best compatibility and smoothness
      (Important: use Boeffla-Config to configure min/max CPU frequencies + governors + schedulers only - or explicitely allow other apps/processes to overwrite this in Boeffla-Config settings, but expect weird side effects)
    • Integrated full busybox 1.23.1 (own compilation)
    • Auto-Root by kernel possible by request, not recommended for CM however (latest su included)
    • Kernel initialisation log file (with history of 3 log files)
    • Emergency reset script automatically placed into /boeffla-kernel-data folder of your internal memory
    • Presets supported in Boeffla-Config by kernel (Extreme power, power, normal, battery friendly and battery saving)
    • Google gcc 4.8 toolchain used for best stability
    • Always using latest Initramfs
    • Always based on latest Galaxy S5 sm-g900f kernel sources by CM
    • Kernel runs with SELinux enforcing by default, just as CM12 stock kernel for S5 - but can be configured to work in permissive mode in Boeffla-Config settings
    • Note: I do NOT upstream the kernel to higher Linux kernel versions anymore as this usually has zero benefit but likely introduces new issues + is a waste of effort in the end

Download

For all information and downloads (stable AND testing versions), visit the Boeffla-Kernel homepage:
    www.boeffla.de

History and design targets

Basically I created my first Boeffla-Kernel in 2012 as there was no kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S3 around that had exactly the mix of functionalities that I wanted. I wanted to have full flexibility in undervolting and charge rates for instance, but did not like the sharpness and/or brightness tweaks many kernels have implemented as per default.

Hence, I began to create my own kernel after a while, adding all the features I like. This is the result of my work, which in the end I decided to share with you. I hope you like it as much as I do.

The objective of this kernel is to have a kernel for daily use. It does not aim for best battery life, or best smoothness or best benchmark scores. Also it does not aim to have the broadest feature set available everywhere.
    It aims more for a good mix of all, not sacrificing stability and functionality in the end.
    And - most important: It aims to stay quite close to stock !!!

These design targets are also valid for the Galaxy S5 kernel here!!!

This said, I will definitely NEVER implement:

• things I do personally not need
    • things I do not like
    • things that are in any way dangerous
    • anything which is highly experimental
    • f2fs - it is known to cause various issues and compatibility problems
    • a CAF based kernel
    • anything that requires upstreaming of kernel parts to a higher kernel major version
    So do not even ask for it if it falls into the listed categories. Everything else I am happy to check and decide.

And: I do not really care about benchmark numbers, they say almost nothing as long as something is not completely wrong. Important for me is the feel-good factor.
    I am also not interested in gaming at all, so never expect a gamer kernel. It will just not happen...

Compatibility

To reiterate it again: Flash the correct kernel depending on whether you are on Samsung Stock, CM12 or CM11 !!!

Configuration of the kernel

To tweak and configure the kernel, manually load and install the app "Boeffla-Config V2" from the downloads section on www.boeffla.de.

You need at least version 2.1.72 or higher for the Galaxy S5 Boeffla Kernels.

Donation

If you like my work, feel free to donate: Donation-Link

If you donate at least 2,49 EUR (to be in line with the donation app prices on Google Play store), you will receive a personal donation code which unlocks some nice little comfort functions in Boeffla-Config V2 on top.

Source code

All sources can be found in my Github repository: http://github.com/andip71

Credits to developers

Of course, I had never been able to create all that by my own. So I want to give credits to the really good developers around, that have given me all the inspiration and from which I cherry picked lots of the implemented functionalities:

* ZaneZam
    * Yank555
    * ktoonsez
    * Hardcore
    * Chainfire
    * AndreiLux
    * Netarchy
    * Gokhanmoral
    * Entropy512
    * Faux
    * Ak

... I just hope I did not forget someone. If so, please let me know and I will add you of course.
    Thanks to all of you for your great work !!!

Disclaimer

*** As always - Flash on our own risk! ***

Make sure you flash the correct version depending on your firmware version!

I can and will not take any responsibility for bricked phones or lost data.

It is generally recommended to run a complete Nandroid backup in your custom recovery and safely store your personal data before you flash a new kernel.

Cheers and enjoy
    Andi
    Hi all,

decision taken, as already announced on Twitter - I will support one more CM generation for the S5.

So here we go for a very first beta of the CM14.1 S5 Boeffla-Kernel:

CM14.1 -- Version 4.0-beta1

• First official beta version - expect bugs from both kernel and also rom, CM14.1 is still very fresh and as a normal consequence full of issues
    • Note: This kernel only runs on official CM14.1 for the international Galaxy S5 g900f - nothing else !!!
    • Note: You need at least version 2.4.16 of Boeffla-Config V2 to allow all functionalities to be available

• All functionalities included as in latest CM13.0 Boeffla-Kernel 3.3
    • Based on official CM kernel source repo as of 16.11.2016, 8am CET
    This kernel will NOT work on CM13.x, CM12.x, CM11 or Samsung stock roms !!!
    It will work only on CM14.x based roms.

Note: This kernel will not receive new features anymore (see road map on www.boeffla.de), but I will keep it compatible to CM14.1 development.

Enjoy
    Andi
    Guys,

I might be searching for 2-3 EXPERIENCED testers soon, that are on a CM13 based custom rom like RR (where my kernel is working, but having issues like dalvik cache wipe does not work etc.).

Would like to test a new kernel/app combo to see how that works for them...

And before you ask: Yes, I am currently testing to change the whole Boeffla foundation and be a) even closer to stock, without loosing functionality and b) supporting anykernel2 concept (point b required a).
    This should significantly improve compatibility with custom roms (although I will still give no support for it)

Isn't that exciting news?

So - stay tuned.

Thanks
    Andi
    Thanks to all supporting the Galaxy S5 over the years in this thread.

As the last kernel release in this thread is very long ago, I take the liberty and close the thread for good.

CU again, one day, somewhere...
    Andi