By haggertk, Senior Member on 17th August 2018, 10:10 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
26th October 2018, 08:27 PM |#501  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massedil

I perfectly agree and understand that I need to upgrade the modem and I really thank you for help.

I have tried to update to G900PVPS3CQD1 extracting modem.bin and NON-HLOS.bin from a full Samsung ROM.

I have flashed them with Odin.

It works in settings : my modem is updated and the baseband is effectively G900PVPS3CQD1, but I have no network neither call at all.

I have rebooted multiple time with airplane mode / Wi-Fi / SIM lock parameters changed without success (https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=490).

But this time : no call, no SMS, no data. And I still need to put the SIM code 2 times if SIM lock is activated.

I rollback to G900PVPU3BOK4 for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Massedil For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Massedil Ad-Free

26th October 2018, 09:30 PM |#502  
Flag Cardiff
Thanks Meter: 975

More
Quote:

But this time : no call, no SMS, no data. And I still need to put the SIM code 2 times if SIM lock is activated.

I think you have a possibly unique use case. It would be interesting to see if the latest Samsung stock works for you.
26th October 2018, 09:47 PM |#503  
Flag monteverde.org
Thanks Meter: 1,821

More
Phone Re: Flashing Only Modem & No Network Error - S5 SM-G900P
Quote:

...That's why I asked if someone has just a modem/baseband zip update for this phone.

Quote:

I have tried to update to G900PVPS3CQD1 extracting modem.bin and NON-HLOS.bin from a full Samsung ROM.

I have flashed them with Odin.

It works in settings : my modem is updated and the baseband is effectively G900PVPS3CQD1, but I have no network neither call at all.

I have rebooted multiple time with airplane mode / Wi-Fi / SIM lock parameters changed without success (https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=490).

I think that for the S5 kltexxx both aboot (bootloader) & modem + other files needs to be flashed together. Meaning you cannot use a bootloader from a Samsung firmware running on your S5 & flash a modem from an other firmware as there are some modem related stuff included in aboot.

In the S5 LOS 15.1 dev's post (haggertk) linked to by @fitittome in a post above:

Quote:

Originally Posted by haggertk

...Bootloader is aboot, not boot (boot is the kernel and ramdisk). Modem is the modem, but only the 2/3g side of the modem - lte is the non-hlos. I really prefer to flash the full firmware set myself, so I do all of these:
NON-HLOS.bin
aboot.mbn (don't do this one on VZW unless you hate yourself)
modem.bin
rpm.mbn
sbl1.mbn
sdi.mbn
tz.mbn

I searched on XDA & elsewhere & it seems that nobody packaged a Odin flashable .tar or .tar.md5 (AP/PD) G900PVPS3CQD1 aboot + modem + the other files for the S5 SM-G900P so far.

Note that in BUGBASH-1986 No LTE connection on Sprint MVNO some user reported problems with G900PVPS3CQD1 & said it works with BOK4 + an older firmware but that's for Ting a reseller of repackaged Sprint network access. In marketing speak a "virtual" network provider.

If you make a full backup of your LineageOS setup using TWRP before flashing the stock Samsung to update both associated pair of aboot & modem, do not restore the Modem & EFS partitions otherwise it will restore your older modem.

Edit @Massedil: In haggertk's download folder root / Bootloader_Modem_Firmware / Android-L / SM-G900P you can find Odin flashable SM-G900P_BOK4_Bootloader_Firmware.tar.md5

But in his more recent Android-M folder one can find bootloader/modem combos for SM-G900F, SM-G900FD, SM-G900M, SM-G900T & SM-G900V but nothing for SM-G900P.

I downloaded for my S5 SM-G900M / G900MUBS1CQD5_G900MUBS1CQA3_Baseband_Firmware.tar. md5 & flashed with the most recent (@ the present) Odin3 v3.13.1 (includes MAC OS plugin bundle) https://dl.sammobile.com/Odin3-v3.13.1.zip, turned on the S5 in Download mode, connected, used the AP button to add the file, kept the default Options Auto Reboot & F. Reset Time selected & nothing else.

Here is the Odin3 log as well as a screen capture attachment. All is working fine on my S5 including Data & LTE and used the free DevCheck > System to confirm the Bootloader & Radio change.

<ID:0/009> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/009> Odin engine v(ID:3.1301)..
<ID:0/009> File analysis..
<ID:0/009> Total Binary size: 62 M
<ID:0/009> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/009> Initialzation..
<ID:0/009> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/009> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/009> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/009> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/009> NON-HLOS.bin
<ID:0/009> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/009> modem.bin
<ID:0/009> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/009> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/009> sdi.mbn
<ID:0/009> tz.mbn
<ID:0/009> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/009> RES OK !!
<ID:0/009> Removed!!
<ID:0/009> Remain Port .... 0
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Odin3_Modem_Bootloader_S5_curiousrom.png
Views:	346
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	4627899  
The Following User Says Thank You to curiousrom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift curiousrom Ad-Free
27th October 2018, 02:27 PM |#504  
Flag Cardiff

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousrom

I think that for the S5 kltexxx both aboot (bootloader) & modem + other files needs to be flashed together.

That's correct, odd problems start if they are mismatched. This user needs to check whether the latest Samsung stock works with his carrier on that particular device. Given what's been said, I have a sneaking suspicion that it won't.
27th October 2018, 05:54 PM |#505  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitittome

That's correct, odd problems start if they are mismatched. This user needs to check whether the latest Samsung stock works with his carrier on that particular device. Given what's been said, I have a sneaking suspicion that it won't.

Help me pls....
1)how to know my s5's original bootloader and modem version?
2)what parameter we use to pick right stock firmware for my s5?(g900f klte)
For example are we choosing firmware on the basis of product code?
27th October 2018, 07:16 PM |#506  
Flag monteverde.org

More
Phone S5 original bootloader and modem version?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yazar rafi

Help me pls....
1)how to know my s5's original bootloader and modem version?
2)what parameter we use to pick right stock firmware for my s5?(g900f klte)
For example are we choosing firmware on the basis of product code?

Try the free DevCheck > System > Product code & you can also see in that panel your current bootloader & modem. See attached screenshot.

Name:	DevCheck_System_S5_curiousrom.png
Views:	310
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	4628486

Then search for it on the web or in https://updato.com/firmware-archive-...r=desc&exact=1

For my SM-G900M on updato.com's respective download pages PDA is also the bootloader version and "Phone" is the modem/radio version.

The last 3 letters of the Product code is for the country or region code for which you can use the Select country filter in https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s5/SM-G900F/

The most recent original Samsung firmware for your device model/region is more useful that the original firmware that was on it when it was shipped as it probably includes bootloader & modem updates..

Rule of thumb is usually the more recent the bootloader/modem combo the better but in some regions the most recent modem for that given region/country may work better.

Only actual testing in combination with your network provider's SIM can determine that which is hard to do objectively with so many variables like fluctuating cell tower signal & the data traffic it is handling @ a given moment, weather conditions, topography, indoor or outdoor testing, how you hold the phone with your hand covering the antenna located in the bottom of it or not, if you are facing the nearest cell tower, 3g-3.5g vs. 4g LTE, etc, etc!

Using an app like Network Cell Info Lite or the information overloaded Network Signal Guru gives much more info than the signal bars on the status bar or > Settings > System > About phone > Status > SIM status > Signal strength.

Name:	Network_Cell_Info_LTE_S5_LineageOS_15-1_curiousrom.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	4628741

So there is no universal answer to the question what is better: most recent Samsung firmware for a device or more recent firmware for a device for a given region/country.

As linked 2 posts above yours as well as flashing method via Odin3 example: in the S5 LOS 15.1 dev haggertk's download folder Android-M folder one can find some bootloader/modem combos for SM-G900F, SM-G900FD, SM-G900M, SM-G900T & SM-G900V.

The higher the last 4 alphanumeric characters, the more recent it is.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to curiousrom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift curiousrom Ad-Free
27th October 2018, 08:29 PM |#507  
Flag Cardiff

More
Quote:

I searched on XDA & elsewhere & it seems that nobody packaged a Odin flashable .tar or .tar.md5 (AP/PD) G900PVPS3CQD1 aboot + modem + the other files for the S5 SM-G900P so far.

Actually it looks like the dev has 'pinned' the device to work with BOK4 baseband so that probably explains why installing a later version isn't working.

https://github.com/LineageOS/android...-files-spr.txt

I'm certain that he has good reason for doing that and is probably why he hasn't posted later versions on afh.

So, I'll shut up now! lol.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fitittome For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fitittome Ad-Free
27th October 2018, 08:41 PM |#508  
Flag monteverde.org

More
Re: SM-G900P Modem - Baseband
Quote:

Actually it looks like the dev has 'pinned' the device to work with BOK4 baseband so that probably explains why installing a later version isn't working.

https://github.com/LineageOS/android...-files-spr.txt...

Good find!

Maybe you could post that in the BUGBASH-1986?

Quote:

...Note that in BUGBASH-1986 No LTE connection on Sprint MVNO some user reported problems with G900PVPS3CQD1 & said it works with BOK4 + an older firmware but that's for Ting a reseller of repackaged Sprint network access. In marketing speak a "virtual" network provider...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curiousrom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift curiousrom Ad-Free
28th October 2018, 06:39 AM |#509  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Is it possible to update bootloader and modem through flashfire(cf)?
Thx in advance...
28th October 2018, 11:27 AM |#510  
Flag Cardiff

More
Quote:

Maybe you could post that in the BUGBASH-1986?

I'm sure the dev knows. lol. There is an awful lot of work being done on ril at moment, I'm not sure what's driving it all. Just have a look https://review.lineageos.org/#/q/statuspen+libril
29th October 2018, 05:47 PM |#511  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:

Edit @Massedil: In haggertk's download folder root / Bootloader_Modem_Firmware / Android-L / SM-G900P you can find Odin flashable SM-G900P_BOK4_Bootloader_Firmware.tar.md5

Quote:

https://github.com/LineageOS/android...-files-spr.txt

I'm certain that he has good reason for doing that and is probably why he hasn't posted later versions on afh.

So, I'll shut up now! lol.

Thank you very much both of you.

I will stay on G900PVPU3BOK4_G900PSPT3BOK4 for now, given that :
- I'm already with the G900PVPU3BOK4_G900PSPT3BOK4 Samsung baseband,
- it is haggertk's recommandation (https://github.com/LineageOS/android...-files-spr.txt),
- network is not working with G900PSPT3CQD1_G900PVPS3CQD1.

So for people reading this in the future, if you encounter problem after rebooting to get internet access :
- reboot with airplane mode on
- unlock the phone with the SIM code
- wait some seconds (30 seconds for me is enough)
- put the airplane mode off
- don't put the SIM code on the screen that will appears again, it will disappears automatically in few seconds (less than 5 seconds for me)
- Normally, you will have internet access
The Following User Says Thank You to Massedil For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Massedil Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)