Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Can't notice

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

invisiblewave

Sep 17, 2009
Well, I spoke a little too soon. Had to get off this kernel, I couldn't live with the occasional lagginess. It rendered GA virtually unusable, amongst other things. Currently running on the Smartpack kernel which is so far performing well.

Cuzeg Spiked

Oct 24, 2016
Turns out whenever I sleep the device, 3 out of four cores turn off after sometime and it stays as 1 core showing in KT monitor even though I have 4 cores which shows some hotplugging, even when i disabled mpdecison and deleted the mpdecision binary in /system/bin. Although mpdecision kept enabling every boot after disabled in kernel adiutor but deleting mpdecision binary solved my problems as i didn't like the slowdowns. I had to change to min 4 cores yet again in boeffla config app to make 4 cores show up again but if i wasn't needing the performance gain, i kept it showing 1 core in ktmonitor even if 4 cores show up in other cpu monitoring kernel management apps. Wallpaper was dark and i mainly used amoled dark theme in apps where i could. A bit overkill I know but i like overkill. Mileage generally varies in battery but i can confirm this is a great kernel imo. Even if i did google i could get alright performance + battery, provided i use amplify/greenify and such.
Gave Tuned hotplug a try and set cpu range between 729mhz all the way to 2.4ghz or so depending on game and then general useage and see how it reacted. The interactuned governor pretty smart if not smarter than interactive being tuned. My S5 feeling fast every day, keeps reminding me of my S6 and S7s but for 32 bit devices, its impressive the soc. No wonder the nexus and the Oneplus Ones were considered the smoothest fast devices of their time. Kernel support is awesome.

My battery life after using this kernel, undervolt by -85mv globally, using fdroid applications, yalp store, bfq, 128kb read ahead, 883mhz cpu clock with interactuned with 0 io is busy, 27mhz gpu clock with msmcpufreq. I used Lightning browser, Privacy browser, jumpgo, xda labs, openlauncher, brave browser, fair amount of fstrim through boeffla config which granted me better speeds, art optimisation magisk module with balanced profile 3 in termux terminal, using debloat terminal command for some system apps, then my discord usage, simple gallery, simple contacts, simple of any app, lots of multitasking of apps i normally use that aren't games and no google play services which was easy. Not too shabby battery life. I had 7-8 hour SOT, probably could get more but idling i could last my device longer. Xprivacy Lua, appopsxposed, privacy guard i used to prevent app startups at boot and background stuff with a few app exceptions. I did notice that the power saving efficency to performance effects battery and performance even with cpu governor changes and stuff which i expected. If i used 4G i know my battery would be less but not that bad.
My screen flickers but not a rom issue at lowest brightness so i do slightly higher brightness than lowest. I did use bluetooth on headphones often but even then a nice battery life. Wifi scan turned off and bluetooth scan via appopsxposed and location off. No amplify i ever used. doze disabled, samsungdoze disabled.

I used my device from 10am to 8.30pm which is not too bad. well there was 1 hour sleep and a little idling but overall thats impressive. If i gamed i could reach 4-5 hours if i wanted. Hotplugging i could do more battery but i didn't like the hotplug and the display power mode savings. Thermal Core control drivers also i turn off. This kernel truly is the best i've used for elite S5 performance when needed and if i wanted to to low power modes. Boeffla kernel is good too but the tweaks in this make it even nicer. I do use an external SD card but all apps using internal storage, files in external. around 23GB overall usage storage but almost 6GB in internal storage and i have 32GB class 10 SD card which is nice.
I even tried ext4 journalling off which helps a bit in performance and battery but i assume ext4 tweaks is turned off journalling and it keeps automatically enabling itself when I don't want and the app is meant to leave em off by default. I know boeffla ended support which i understand but i am excited to see the final version of this tuned kernel also. Left lmk at default. VM settings you don't have to tamper with but i shared anyway. Default usually fine for vm settings.
Feels good to have no bottleneck or very little in games and in general use. no real lags or stutters for days, no crashes, nothing. Most stable and convenient. Might give this a try on LinageOS , AICP and other lineage 14.1 kernel roms that could potentially work.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1phivZMFzgPuTGkYuSjJ8_tngx9NJrICi

The bc profile i used.My rom was RR which is good. I keep feeling faster performance every single day which is convenient.

I should benchmark my device on antutu if it worked that is. I think i would reach close to 70k on old antutu and a decent score on new antutu. Benchmarks don't tell the whole story but it would be an interesting thing to get the highest score.

Edit: Gave this a try on AICP which performs even better and lighter. Awesome on Aicp but even without custom kernel it was already a fair bit faster and less battery using. Now im getting regular 8 hours battery life or more :). 5 hours of gaming also which is a lot even on intensive games. i did use low clock speeds though locked at 883mhz for normal usage and something like 1267mhz or as low as 1036mhz for the games i play. If i slept device, well ages.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180401-205513.png
    Screenshot_20180401-205513.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 815
  • Screenshot_20180401-204930.png
    Screenshot_20180401-204930.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 819
  • Screenshot_20180401-204926.png
    Screenshot_20180401-204926.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 825
  • Screenshot_20180401-204921.png
    Screenshot_20180401-204921.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 795
  • Screenshot_20180401-204914.png
    Screenshot_20180401-204914.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 749
  • Screenshot_20180401-204600.png
    Screenshot_20180401-204600.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 755
  • Screenshot_20180401-121516.png
    Screenshot_20180401-121516.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 761
  • Screenshot_20180401-211131.png
    Screenshot_20180401-211131.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 739
  • Screenshot_20180401-211324.png
    Screenshot_20180401-211324.png
    95.9 KB · Views: 742
  • Screenshot_20180401-211329.png
    Screenshot_20180401-211329.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 720
  • Screenshot_20180401-211339.png
    Screenshot_20180401-211339.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 722
  • Screenshot_20180401-112505.png
    Screenshot_20180401-112505.png
    161.6 KB · Views: 707
Last edited:
Reactions: SohamD

Cuzeg Spiked

Oct 24, 2016
Hi!
I'm using RR 5.8.5 (G900v) and I daily play like 2/3 hours videogames that need some graphical power (World of Tanks Blitz, PUBG, etc) and another part of the day the phone I have it active with 4G.
Do you recommend this kernel a lot?
Additionally, in case I want to revert the process, what do I need to do to uninstall the kernel?

Thanks for aswering me! :)

Yes it runs those games amazingly for a Galaxy S5 even if its only 30fps but at moderate settings or low. Overall this kernel is great like many kernels including boeffla kernel. 4G no problems also in battery. Lock clock speeds and performance governor for best results, though i heard interactive/interactuned from boeffla works best on LOS based roms. 2/3 hour gaming and the rest 4G on other tasks should do okay in battery.
Eternium for me easily average 30fps and up to 50fps highest settings. Dungeon Quest, easy 60fps for me at highest settings also but at 1.4ghz rather than 2.4ghz or so and emulators play awesome like PSP.
Yes newer phones are faster and 64 bit helps but the performance of this old 4 year old flagship phone that is 32 bit and comes cheap still very nice, especually on aosp. Many games i throw at it whether they are well known or not run quite well. GL tools does help in making games run better though but even out of the box run nicely. i found they ran best at aicp but thats just me since i like aicp rom a lot. Disabled vsync :p (debug.gr.swapinterval=0, debug.egl.swapinterval=0 and huwi.disable_vsync= true, but i only use it where needed as build prop tweaks, otherwise no need to as extra battery drain could be possible but worth it on games that don't break from disabled vsync). recording games and videos no problems.

Hello there, I have been experimenting with undervolting on this kernel (28/02 version), and rr rom. At first I did a 'global' undervolt of -75mv, then I decided to try and find the lowest stable voltage for each frequency. This is what I've settled on, and found to be stable, for now.
frequencies;
300 - 1036 -125mv
1190 - 1497 -100mv
1574 - 2457 -75mv EDIT: Had a few crashes so using -50mv for these frequencies
2534 & 2611 -50mv (I have oc'd to 2611)
Please note, I did not try any less than -125mv for any frequency
on the new antutu I got about 68k.
battery life seems better, although I havent really paid too much attention to it if im honest.

I'd really be interested to hear how you are getting on with -85mv globally?

Doing great thank you. No crashes and better battery than -100mv or so. then I tried what you did for undervolting which worked even better (overclock frequncies i undervolt by -25mv to -50mv.) I seem to get 2611mhz as my favourite overclock frequency like you as well. Stable af all around, using latest final kernel build. Stable on RR and other roms, including aicp which is my favourite rom. My S5 still got good enough silicon lottery for a nice overclock and undervolt. using different profiles from tasker, the 1ghz low clock for general use profile, gaming profile for overclocks and a mid profile for mid level clocks for low demanding games. Now consistently getting 7-8 hour sot up to 10hr and 4-5 hour games or a whole lot of days idling on the aicp rom but RR rom did fine though and LOS as well. Any LOS based rom basically does good but i found aicp the best overall. Battery life did improve from undervolt but its okay if you didnt pay too much attention to battery life, just as long as you enjoy device as sot depends on many factors depending on user. i rarely use social media except maybe discord and slack but i also watch youtube, browse on browsers like Brave or Lightning and games. No google though so my youtube is a magisk module ogyoutube with microg.

Edit: My new trim results after so much auto trim in aicp, manual trims overall. Its a vast improvement from my last screenshots. Androbench will agree too but overall general usage felt faster and games too. Many thousands of unnecessary files unseen by android deleted after TRIM happened while still keeping important data but making the emmc flash ssd storage of the S5 last longer. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oNdKUtOSOfUv1phdunUTTSJ_FErwvgAg/view?usp=sharing . The amount of blocks i had before and now, vast difference. Trim ftw. Trim all android devices no matter which kernel and the performance + longevity benefits show. This kernel especially shows that gain very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: fbs and Ipnosomar

sunilpaulmathew

Recognized Developer
The easiest way in my opinion (that I always used to update my Kernels), is to simply "cherry pick" new commits from LOS kernel repo. By considering the changes in your repo over stock LOS, simple pull requests maynot work nicely (that you always (I guess) did from Lords boeffla's repo).
I'm struggling to learn how to point my github to get lineage updates itself instead of boeffla's (now that he won't be updating it anymore)

fbs

Jun 22, 2007
not in brazil
The easiest way in my opinion (that I always used to update my Kernels), is to simply "cherry pick" new commits from LOS kernel repo. By considering the changes in your repo over stock LOS, simple pull requests maynot work nicely (that you always (I guess) did from Lords boeffla's repo).

I never did this cherry picking thing.. I seldom use the web interface.. I had created a fork of andi's kernel and then on every update I run:
git fetch upstream
git merge upstream/boeffla_cm14​

then all differences from the last release were applied automagically..

now I was thinking how to tell git that my "upstream" should be other repo, and how to set from which commit onward it should fetch/sync... :confused:

sunilpaulmathew

Recognized Developer
Idk how to change the upstream repo, but I'm sure that your specified methods will work only if the commit history of both repo is significantly same (might be difficult in your case).
Regarding the cherry-pick side, you can do that by running
git fetch LOS-repo-link branch (e.g. git fetch https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_samsung_msm8974 lineage-15.1)
git cherry-pick commit-id (available in commit url link) - for picking a specific commit
or
git cherry-pick first-commit-id..last-commit-id - for picking a series of commit​
It should work fine unless there is no git conflicts...
I never did this cherry picking thing.. I seldom use the web interface.. I had created a fork of andi's kernel and then on every update I run:
git fetch upstream
git merge upstream/boeffla_cm14​

then all differences from the last release were applied automagically..

now I was thinking how to tell git that my "upstream" should be other repo, and how to set from which commit onward it should fetch/sync... :confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a Kernel, based on Lord Boeffla's Kernel, "boeffla-kernel-4.1-CM14.1-g900f", which is based on LineageOS Kernel, which is based on AOSP (google) Kernel, which is based on Linux Kernel.

It should be installed via Recovery (TWRP or CWM) over any other LOS 14/15 ROM/kernel, just like boeffla kernel. It doesn't need any tweaking with any app. Install it and use it.
    BUT you can use "boeffla config app" if you like tweaking. You will receive a Warning about "mpdecision", just ignore it.

It has:
    - a different "low memory killer" algorithm
    - zcache is disabled for really freeing memory that was used for caching files (when needed) instead of compressing it
    - a different default cpu hotplugger. Every other kernel (even LOS/stock) relies on Qualcomm's MPDecision, I wrote my own, *****es
    - Tuned governor (it's the default). It's basically the Interactive but with a lot of tuning.

- many compiler optimizations not found on boeffla or LOS
    - many unused code simply REMOVED to free memory and CPU. People just add more stuff, I like to remove
    - TV tuners removed from code. wtf...
    - many unstable governors and i/o schedulers removed

Note that even though 2GB of RAM isn't too little, if you have too many memory-hungry apps, performance will always suffer; Most apps are started(loaded up to RAM) right after booting; There are ways to prevent this auto-start but I can't remember now..

Overall your phone will be snappier, and less battery hungry

XDA:DevDB Information
    tuned, Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S5

Contributors
    fbs, lord boeffla, haggertk
    Source Code: https://github.com/bemerguy/tuned-kernel-LOS-s5

Kernel Special Features: lighter, optimization-focused

Version Information
    Stable Release Date: 2018-08-22

Created 2017-10-08
    Last Updated 2018-11-01
    DOWNLOADS:

KTMonitor = an app that will show your cpus clocks in real time, in a overlay window. simple, fast, no ads.
    If you only see the first cpu (CPU0), you'll have to change kernel selinux mode to Permissive instead of Strict. Boeffla config app can do it.

"tuned kernel" builds will show up here, from older to newer

klte - SM-G900F, SM-G900M, SM-G900R4, SM-G900R7, SM-G900T, SM-G900V, SM-G900W8, SM-S902L
    klteduos - SM-G900FD, SM-G900MD
    kltedv - SM-G900I, SM-G900P
    kltekor - SM-G900K, SM-G900L, SM-G900S

los14 = cm14 = android 7
    los15 = cm15 = android 8
    Reserved

220818:
    -hstcp as tcp congestion control

090818:
    -and zram disabled again
    -compiled with the leanest toolchain type
    -undervolt back on, I guess
    -lowmemorykiller from xiaomi's stock kernel
    -read ahead disabled completely
    -more unused kernel parts removed
    -more compiler optimization

280618:
    -zram enabled again, now with lz4 that should have been used since forever but wasn't
    -some kernel fixes from around the net. should be even faster
    "tuned" governor tweaked a bit, and it's profiles too (for those who still uses boeffla app to tweak things)

210618:
    -LOS 15.x build
    -268mhz as default min speed and 2.6ghz as default max speed
    -can't figure out why swap is being used A LOT even with swappiness=5, making battery life miserable, so zram disabled again
    -"tuned" governor as default. It's a "interactive" with bugs fixed and tweaked
    -"zen" scheduler as default, with some bugs fixed. it's fast, simple, almost like noop+deadline+row mixed

230418:
    -latest boeffla-based
    -wifi tweaked
    -zram (swap) is back
    -other compiler flags not enabled before

280218:
    -beta22 based
    -lmk faster than before while screen is on. slower than before when screen is off
    -interactuned governor will save some cpu while screen is off

160218:
    -now compiling with linaro 8.0
    -"interactive" governor renamed to "interactuned" to get rid of conflicting values
    -"interactuned" profiles updated on boeffla app (standard, performance, battery, battery extreme)
    -tuned hotplugger tweaked a bit

110218:
    -lmk will search, compare apps' scores, and kill them in groups. the stock lmk and the "less aggressive" lmk from build 020218 were killing one app at a time
    -put tuned hotplugger to run more often when display is on. the cpu cost is minimal as it is extremely simple
    -tweaked compiler flags again to not make code large

020218:
    -boeffla's beta21 based
    -less aggressive lmk again
    -tweaked compiler flags
    -tweaked interactive governor
    -tweaked tuned hotplugger

301217:
    -more aggressive lmk
    -less aggressive tuned hotplugger
    -tweaked the default interactive values in ramdisk (via anykernel), as they are modified by it on boot
    -tweaked also the boeffla app interactive profiles
    -performance governor will really drain your battery now, but it will be even faster (max cpu clock, all cpus on if using tuned hotplugger)
    -compiling with O2 but with some O3 flags. it seems to be faster than 211217

211217:
    -beta20 from boeffla

201217:
    -tweaked some filesystem stuff
    -it seems tuned hotplug was being ramdonly disabled, fixed
    -changed how tuned hotplug enables/disables cpus:
    it was based on the number of processes needing cpu. But the system itself didn't count as "processes", so I changed it to look at the cores frequencies instead. The cpu governors itself has a lot of code just to measure how busy the cpus are before raising or lowering frequencies, I think it's faster/lighter to just use that info instead of calculating again or in another way.. In practice: cpu0 at max frequency will turn on cpu1 and so on. Any cpu on lowest frequency for some time will turn it off. I don't really know if this will be better or worse than the code before(151217)​

151217:
    -beta19 from boeffla

071217:
    -beta18 from boeffla kernel
    -zram/swap fully disabled. The slowdowns are unacceptable. It seems we will always get a huge performance/battery hit with any kind of swap. For now I think it's better to let the "low memory killer" do its thing than swapping. Remember: Killing an app will instantly free RAM with zero CPU usage. Swapping means a lot of CPU usage, and (as swapping occurs in RAM), only 40-50% of ram will be freed.

011217:
    -beta17 from boeffla kernel
    -tweaked tuned hotplugger a bit. changing from mpdecision to tuned on config won't bug the lower frequency
    -swapping should be faster

271117:
    -hotplugers "mpdecision" and "optimized mpd" working again. zzmoove hotplugers removed (the governor itself was removed long ago)
    "interactive" profiles changed a bit: "performance" will have more performance, and "battery" will really save more battery
    -zram compression (swap) may be even faster now
    -compiler toolchain updated to gcc-linaro-7.2.1-2017.11
    -processor scheduler using logarithmic scaling
    -"tuned" hotplugger logic was changed a bit. it will turn on/off cpus based only on average load, but will obey the "order" and may turn all on if the load is suddenly high. it may also use less cpu to compute
    -"interactive" governor may also use less cpu
    new version is up (all variants)
    new 15.1 build is up for all variants