FORUMS

View Poll Results: What would you like Samsung to do in order to put this right?

Replace handset + full refund for the case

117 Vote(s)
59.39%
Repair/replace screen + full refund for the case

80 Vote(s)
40.61%

[Q] Samsung Clear View case scratched my screen

143 posts
Thanks Meter: 60

By galijanach, Senior Member on 13th May 2015, 09:48 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
19th May 2015, 07:06 PM |#271  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Wink Most positive response from Samsung so far I think!
Dear Sir/Madam

Yesterday I wrote a long complaint about the screen on my S6 edge having many tiny scratch marks on it. I referred to a web forum where others are complaining of the same thing. When I received the phone the screen was it perfect condition and was not suffering from the reported swirl scratches out of the box which other buyers had reported. If this had been the case I would have returned the phone straight away, as I made the purchase by way of sample in the phone shop, and that phone did not have swirl marks on the screen. That is enshrined in Australian consumer law that a product must be of equivalent quality if sold by way of sample. No excuse can negate Australian consumer law. Anyhow that is not the issue with my phone and I thought I made it very clear in my complaint that mine was of a different nature.
Soon after receiving the phone, I thought it prudent to protect my purchase with a cover. I selected a Samsung Clear View Case and placed the, still in perfect condition, phone into it. A couple of days later, under a down light at work, I noticed a few tiny marks across the screen. I was put out about this and thought there was a weakness within the screen itself. The marks seemed to be quite deep as if a bubble had caused a layer of the glass to fall off. I posted my thoughts on a website where others were complaining that the screen scratched easily. I had handled the device with utmost care, I mean it's a $1300 piece of equipment I'm just not the kind of person who throws that kind of cash around easily. Anyhow, being realistic, I knew a complaint would fall on deaf ears as I had nothing to substantiate my claim that the product seems defective. I was gutted. Over the next couple of weeks further marks appeared and I was at a loss to explain them.
Then an article appeared around 13th May on Sam Mobile regarding the clear view case and others were complaining that it had caused damage to their screens. I looked at the photos and sure enough the marks were of the same characteristic as those on my phone. There are those who speculate that particles are rubbing the screen between the hard inside of the cover and the glass. I can''''t say I have ever opened my phone and seen grit of any sort inside the cover. I cannot see any corresponding scratches or indents to the inside of the cover that match those on the screen. Either way, be it a fault in the glass or an issue with the cover, the fact that many others are taking to forums to vent their frustration I think substantiates my claim there is an issue that Samsung is accountable for.
I would either claim that a premium genuine Samsung case advertised as protective has failed to provide even a minimum of its stated purpose and therefore entitled to a refund for the case and compensation for the damage caused by its failure. Or there is a flaw in the glass and it does not exhibit the resistance to damage claimed by Samsung or their supplier.
I had joked in my previous complaint that due to your web site directing me to remove the battery to find the model number, my phone is now in pieces. This is not the case, however I was surprised, that believing I had followed these instructions on your website, the customer service person had requested I take the phone to a service centre to have the phone reassembled for free. However, joking aside, it is wrong that your website still has this direction when you have now released a phone that does not have a removable battery even if you select s6 or s6 edge in the drop down list. For your reference here is a link to the XDA forum regarding the Clear View Case ( URL Was Here In Message ) and I have included a photo of my screen. Finally please do not direct me to my nearest service centre for an assessment of my phone until you at least accept there may be an issue because that will be a waste of my time.

Counselor answer
Dear XXXX

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics Australia.

Your Customer Reference Number is XXXX Please use this number when contacting our agents.

I'm XXXX and my team is responsible for helping you with this concern.

I understand that you are concerned on some scratches which appeared on the screen of your Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge while using a clear view case. I also noted that you purchased the case to protect the screen of your device. We would like to thank you for making a follow up correspondence of your concern and I am glad to confirm that your issue has been raised to our headquarters for proper review. Please be assured that we are currently working on your issue, hoping that we would be able to provide you the customer service you deserve. We would appreciate if you could give us ample time to properly assess your concern so we could come up with a reasonable and hopefully the best remedy to your situation. We will contact you for an update as soon as we can. End of message

My Thoughts.

As the post title says, I think this is the most positive answer I have read on the forum so far from Samsung. I would also like to say to you all guys that this could be a long game as the cost to Samsung could be considerable and no company will just leave themselves open to high costs.
That said, Samsung must understand most countries consumer laws are based upon a reasonable persons expectations and that alone is a legal minefield. Emotions rarely come into a argument when the law is involved. Try to look at the issue from the point of view of a late middle aged person who has very minimal interest in tech items.
What can be assessed as reasonable.
How was the product advertised:
In this situation the cover was promoted as protective but subsequently appeared to offer minimal protection for the day to day expected use of a mobile phone, thus a reasonable person may ask the manufacturer of the cover to provide evidence where the phone would have been damaged had the cover not been in use and the use of the cover has prevented such damage. The manufacturer must substantiate the claim of protection.
The pricing of a product strengthens a claim:
If a competitors product provides the same functionality, similar materials used in construction yet costs a whole lot less, then the higher costed product should perform equal or better.
A good example of this is TV's where a cheap Chinese branded set has a 3 year warranty and premium brand only has a 1 year warranty. If both sets provide similar functionality then premium brand should last 3 years at least. A reasonable person would expect this.
A quantifiable loss:
The future resale of the product has been affected by the under performance of the product. A reasonable person would expect to purchase a scratched phone for less than one in perfect condition. This loss is quantifiable.
An Issue, that had the consumer been aware at time of sale a reasonable person would not have made the purchase:
Now this is where we all come into it. If you had been told prior to the purchase of your phone and cover that this XDA forum existed would you have made the purchase. Samsung has been made aware that many users are complaining about an issue with this phone and cover. The numbers here are still minute compared to the volume of sales they have made and can easily be passed of as incidental or people trying to pull a fast one after damaging their phone in some way. We have all heard salesmen say "people only complain on the internet" which is somewhat true. However if the number of complaints are so significant then it would be hard for a reasonable person to ignore.

To surmise, Keep the posts and pictures coming, Stay focused on the issue, ignore detractors and to anybody just monitoring this forum with the same issue, who can't be bothered to post, hoping that those already doing the work will get the issue sorted so they can get an easy solution, it ain't gonna happen unless we get the numbers, so get posting
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sonofyou For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sonofyou Ad-Free
19th May 2015, 07:30 PM |#272  
Flag Copenhagen
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Samsung Denmark acknowledges they are aware of the issue
Ok, so they actually acknowledged that they are aware of the issue the issue. I'm going to the service point tomorrow or Thursday, and hopefully they'll replace my phone but I have a feeling they will want to repair it. I'll probably accept this if they also refund me for the cover, but it's very annoying to have to be without the phone for a number of days.

Here is their reply (my emphasis below):

Hello [Name],

Thank you for your email.

Your case reference number is 251xxxxxxx

There is no need to escalate it, since we are aware of the issue.

If it is a problem for you to be without a phone for some time, you can try and discuss the matter with your dealer.
Sometimes they have phone available you can borrow.

If you require any further queries regarding this matter or any other Samsung product please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,
[Name]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descore

I got a response from them, this is what they said (not surprised): (removed, see original post)
Of course this is not acceptable, so I wrote back:

Hi [Name],

If you actually read my mail in full, it is clear that these are NOT polishing marks. When I talked to my dealer (Telia) they advised to take it up with Samsung, as they normally don't repair or replace scratch marks.

This is a special case where Samsung's original accessory has actually caused the scratches to the screen, and it has been acknowledged and escalated by the service departments in other countries. See for example this chat from the Dutch customer support: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=241

Please can you escalate this and find a decent solution.

Kind regards,
[Name]

The Following User Says Thank You to Descore For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Descore Ad-Free
19th May 2015, 09:37 PM |#273  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofyou

Dear Sir/Madam

Yesterday I wrote a long complaint about the screen on my S6 edge having many tiny scratch marks on it. I referred to a web forum where others are complaining of the same thing. When I received the phone the screen was it perfect condition and was not suffering from the reported swirl scratches out of the box which other buyers had reported. If this had been the case I would have returned the phone straight away, as I made the purchase by way of sample in the phone shop, and that phone did not have swirl marks on the screen. That is enshrined in Australian consumer law that a product must be of equivalent quality if sold by way of sample. No excuse can negate Australian consumer law. Anyhow that is not the issue with my phone and I thought I made it very clear in my complaint that mine was of a different nature.
Soon after receiving the phone, I thought it prudent to protect my purchase with a cover. I selected a Samsung Clear View Case and placed the, still in perfect condition, phone into it. A couple of days later, under a down light at work, I noticed a few tiny marks across the screen. I was put out about this and thought there was a weakness within the screen itself. The marks seemed to be quite deep as if a bubble had caused a layer of the glass to fall off. I posted my thoughts on a website where others were complaining that the screen scratched easily. I had handled the device with utmost care, I mean it's a $1300 piece of equipment I'm just not the kind of person who throws that kind of cash around easily. Anyhow, being realistic, I knew a complaint would fall on deaf ears as I had nothing to substantiate my claim that the product seems defective. I was gutted. Over the next couple of weeks further marks appeared and I was at a loss to explain them.
Then an article appeared around 13th May on Sam Mobile regarding the clear view case and others were complaining that it had caused damage to their screens. I looked at the photos and sure enough the marks were of the same characteristic as those on my phone. There are those who speculate that particles are rubbing the screen between the hard inside of the cover and the glass. I can''''t say I have ever opened my phone and seen grit of any sort inside the cover. I cannot see any corresponding scratches or indents to the inside of the cover that match those on the screen. Either way, be it a fault in the glass or an issue with the cover, the fact that many others are taking to forums to vent their frustration I think substantiates my claim there is an issue that Samsung is accountable for.
I would either claim that a premium genuine Samsung case advertised as protective has failed to provide even a minimum of its stated purpose and therefore entitled to a refund for the case and compensation for the damage caused by its failure. Or there is a flaw in the glass and it does not exhibit the resistance to damage claimed by Samsung or their supplier.
I had joked in my previous complaint that due to your web site directing me to remove the battery to find the model number, my phone is now in pieces. This is not the case, however I was surprised, that believing I had followed these instructions on your website, the customer service person had requested I take the phone to a service centre to have the phone reassembled for free. However, joking aside, it is wrong that your website still has this direction when you have now released a phone that does not have a removable battery even if you select s6 or s6 edge in the drop down list. For your reference here is a link to the XDA forum regarding the Clear View Case ( URL Was Here In Message ) and I have included a photo of my screen. Finally please do not direct me to my nearest service centre for an assessment of my phone until you at least accept there may be an issue because that will be a waste of my time.

Counselor answer
Dear XXXX

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics Australia.

Your Customer Reference Number is XXXX Please use this number when contacting our agents.

I'm XXXX and my team is responsible for helping you with this concern.

I understand that you are concerned on some scratches which appeared on the screen of your Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge while using a clear view case. I also noted that you purchased the case to protect the screen of your device. We would like to thank you for making a follow up correspondence of your concern and I am glad to confirm that your issue has been raised to our headquarters for proper review. Please be assured that we are currently working on your issue, hoping that we would be able to provide you the customer service you deserve. We would appreciate if you could give us ample time to properly assess your concern so we could come up with a reasonable and hopefully the best remedy to your situation. We will contact you for an update as soon as we can. End of message

My Thoughts.

As the post title says, I think this is the most positive answer I have read on the forum so far from Samsung. I would also like to say to you all guys that this could be a long game as the cost to Samsung could be considerable and no company will just leave themselves open to high costs.
That said, Samsung must understand most countries consumer laws are based upon a reasonable persons expectations and that alone is a legal minefield. Emotions rarely come into a argument when the law is involved. Try to look at the issue from the point of view of a late middle aged person who has very minimal interest in tech items.
What can be assessed as reasonable.
How was the product advertised:
In this situation the cover was promoted as protective but subsequently appeared to offer minimal protection for the day to day expected use of a mobile phone, thus a reasonable person may ask the manufacturer of the cover to provide evidence where the phone would have been damaged had the cover not been in use and the use of the cover has prevented such damage. The manufacturer must substantiate the claim of protection.
The pricing of a product strengthens a claim:
If a competitors product provides the same functionality, similar materials used in construction yet costs a whole lot less, then the higher costed product should perform equal or better.
A good example of this is TV's where a cheap Chinese branded set has a 3 year warranty and premium brand only has a 1 year warranty. If both sets provide similar functionality then premium brand should last 3 years at least. A reasonable person would expect this.
A quantifiable loss:
The future resale of the product has been affected by the under performance of the product. A reasonable person would expect to purchase a scratched phone for less than one in perfect condition. This loss is quantifiable.
An Issue, that had the consumer been aware at time of sale a reasonable person would not have made the purchase:
Now this is where we all come into it. If you had been told prior to the purchase of your phone and cover that this XDA forum existed would you have made the purchase. Samsung has been made aware that many users are complaining about an issue with this phone and cover. The numbers here are still minute compared to the volume of sales they have made and can easily be passed of as incidental or people trying to pull a fast one after damaging their phone in some way. We have all heard salesmen say "people only complain on the internet" which is somewhat true. However if the number of complaints are so significant then it would be hard for a reasonable person to ignore.

To surmise, Keep the posts and pictures coming, Stay focused on the issue, ignore detractors and to anybody just monitoring this forum with the same issue, who can't be bothered to post, hoping that those already doing the work will get the issue sorted so they can get an easy solution, it ain't gonna happen unless we get the numbers, so get posting

Great post!
I actually spoke with the Samsung UK head office today and was assured that they are well aware of this and are still looking into a resolution. They didn't mention time scale but assured me that they will contact me direct on both mobile number and email as soon as possible. I now have their direct number so i can nag them everyday

Sonofyou is right; keep the posts and pictures coming. Samsung are monitoring this thread as i was told a few times by a Samsung UK rep.
19th May 2015, 09:37 PM |#274  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylechat

i got a scratch on the front, near the Samsung logo and i don't even know how it came... Never let my phone fall, never had an impact on it...
This is the first phone i've owned since 1997 that has such a scratch after only 2 weeks of use....
will have to lower the selling price when the Note 5 will be available...

Can you please share pictures of your scratched screen?
19th May 2015, 09:41 PM |#275  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by davy34

i have the same pb
my s6 edge always in the case clear view, and my screen scratched.

Bonjour!
Can you possibly post images of your scratched screen?
19th May 2015, 09:57 PM |#276  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I've sent a email to a Dutch news site and they have posted it on there site
For the Dutch viewers here's the link http://nu.nl/mobiel/4051900/samsung-...s6-hoesje.html
The Following User Says Thank You to aluksander For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aluksander Ad-Free
19th May 2015, 10:10 PM |#277  
Flag Murcia / now linving in Paris
Thanks Meter: 12

More
hi!
just been contacted by samsung France (by Phone BTW), I got my customer reference number, also they requested some photos of the cover and the phone.
they also wanted to know if I got all the original boxes just in case i need to send them both

Im waiting samsung france response but seems that they are aware of the problems, soooo ....

I was already sure that my next phone would be a Note 5 but now .... all depends of samsung customer service
The Following User Says Thank You to yeye2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift yeye2 Ad-Free
20th May 2015, 05:53 AM |#278  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I think Samsung galaxy S6 edge has great screen
20th May 2015, 09:24 AM |#279  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I too have a S6 Edge with a clearview case and like the rest of you I also have many tiny defects in my screen now as a result of using the case, which I purchased and have used since day 1 to protect the phone and the screen, not to damage it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150520_091928.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	3322289   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150520_091910.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	3322290  
The Following User Says Thank You to Nigel21 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nigel21 Ad-Free
20th May 2015, 09:29 AM |#280  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I yesterday gave its S6 and cases to the service -I wonder what Samsung will propose :
-change phone
-only screen
- or nothing change
20th May 2015, 09:49 AM |#281  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I have just spoken to Samsung UK and they told me to take the phone and case back to the retailer to see what they can do.
I will give it a go, but I'm pretty sure they won't do anything.

Still stunned that the case that is suppose to protect it causes damage.

Quote from the Samsung UK site about the case: "Protect your Galaxy S6 edge with smarter security"
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)