S6 edge screen badly scratched straight out of the box.

Search This thread

rhcpcjg

Jan 2, 2007
On sunday, I pre ordered a 128gb s6 edge on tmobile's website, it arrived on tuesday, and as soon as I turned it on I noticed dead pixels and also i noticed under direct sunlight that the screen had scratches everywhere, i paid almost one thousand dollars for this and I found that unacceptable, so I called TMobile and they said I had to return the phone, wait until they refunded my money and then I could order another one OR I could buy another one and pay for it and return this one. So I just went ahead and placed another order and they overnighted a new phone to me. The phone arrived today, and it also has dead pixels or something black under the display (very noticebale) and also has a really scratched screen. The phone is nice, it works fine most of the time, but my problem is not with the software, it is with the lack of quality control Samsung is showing with this release.

I decided to return both phones, and i will be sticking with my iphone 6 until Samsung gets their act together, I dont want to throw Samsung under the but for a flagship phone, this issues should be non-existent. My advice to anyone that has ordered a s6 edge, is to check your screen for any dead pixels, and to check your phone;s screen under direct sunlight and see if you find any scratches.

IMG_0158.jpg
IMG_0161.jpg
IMG_0164.jpg
IMG_0165.jpg

Last edited:

Poetique

Aug 22, 2007
Alabama
Don't be so sure that it's Samsung. Having this kind of issue twice in a row is a more likely sign of mishandling during delivery than an actual quality control issue.

I'd consider trying to see if I could get the device shipped to my carrier's local store for pickup, as delivery companies tend to be a bit more careful when shipping things to businesses than to consumers.

jimmydigital00

Aug 30, 2010
Same exact thing with my s6 edge 32gb. Small scratches allike over the screen.
My new one came today but I didn't open it yet to check.

americasteam

Jan 31, 2011
Bowling Green, KY
Don't be so sure that it's Samsung. Having this kind of issue twice in a row is a more likely sign of mishandling during delivery than an actual quality control issue.

I'd consider trying to see if I could get the device shipped to my carrier's local store for pickup, as delivery companies tend to be a bit more careful when shipping things to businesses than to consumers.

I would find it virtually impossible for the delivery company to scratch the screen. Each phone should have a screen cover installed at the factory. The dirt under the glass or dead pixels with 2 units delivered to the same person is also disturbing.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

angelofmusic

Nov 7, 2007
SAN DIEGO
Oh wow! Mine is all scratched up as well =( Right when I took it out of the box I noticed a pretty substantial scratch on the display. Then when I looked more closely, in more revealing lighting, I saw that I had light scratches all over the entire display. I am NOT happy with this. I will be getting a regular S6 for review when I can. If some of you are seeing the same things that I am, then statistically speaking, this is a pretty wide-spread issue. If you and I are seeing these scratches, it means that others are as well. I will keep a close eye on this.

Poetique

Aug 22, 2007
Alabama
I would find it virtually impossible for the delivery company to scratch the screen. Each phone should have a screen cover installed at the factory. The dirt under the glass or dead pixels with 2 units delivered to the same person is also disturbing.

You'd only find it virtually impossible if you've never been inside of a UPS or FedEx shipping facility (probably the USPS too, but I havn't actually been to the inner portions of one of those). I actually have never received a FedEx package to my area that wasn't beat up to some degree.

When I say that packages are literally occasionally tossed several YARDS across a room, I'm not kidding. And if whoever is supposed to catch them misses, well... what goes up eventually comes down lol.

The use of screen/devices covers only has one real effect, and that's preventing EXCESSIVE dust. Obviously, dust is dust, and you can't just eliminate it. It'll do a bit to stop scratches, but if a bit of fine debris that just so happens to get trapped under the dust cover it can still lead to scratches if the device gets shaken about in the box. And of course it does nothing to protect against impact damage, which is one potential cause of dead pixels.

I want to see what happens when other carriers start shipping. On that note, what courier is responsible for T-Mobile orders?

Edit: I'm also going to assume that everyone around here is aware of the fact that Gorilla Glass is visible to the naked eye if you have sharp eyesight, and that the "scratches" probably aren't scratches if they're uniform and follow some sort of pattern (you'd be surprised how many people thought they had scratched devices in the early days of Gorilla Glass lol).

Last edited:

rjwdon

May 8, 2012
Auckland
i expect these devices are assembled in vacuumed containers, in a similar fashion to hard drives, as such dust/particles are a non issue and it isnt possible to get dust under one of the plastic covers unless they are tampered with down the line - again this would just be my expectation but i would be surprised if this assessment wasnt accurate.

Poetique

Aug 22, 2007
Alabama
i expect these devices are assembled in vacuumed containers, in a similar fashion to hard drives, as such dust/particles are a non issue and it isnt possible to get dust under one of the plastic covers unless they are tampered with down the line - again this would just be my expectation but i would be surprised if this assessment wasnt accurate.

You expect alot from mass manufacturing/assembly lol.

The kind of operation you're talking about would be more likely to be found when dealing with either small-scale manufacturing or manufacturing of devices that never touch human hands before reaching the consumer. Neither case applies to Samsung devices.

Last edited:

DrexelDragon

May 12, 2013
Oh wow! Mine is all scratched up as well =( Right when I took it out of the box I noticed a pretty substantial scratch on the display. Then when I looked more closely, in more revealing lighting, I saw that I had light scratches all over the entire display. I am NOT happy with this. I will be getting a regular S6 for review when I can. If some of you are seeing the same things that I am, then statistically speaking, this is a pretty wide-spread issue. If you and I are seeing these scratches, it means that others are as well. I will keep a close eye on this.

Oh no :( Both S6 Edges I have received both have the scratched screens. This is bad.

rjwdon

May 8, 2012
Auckland
while thats true, it is a proceedure in place for hard drives, they literally will not work if there is a single speck of dust on the platter - if anything at all interferes with the read-head it will scratch the platter and bam dead hard drive.

it is entirely possible they dont use vacuum chambers for assembling phones however, I will grant you that lol

angelofmusic

Nov 7, 2007
SAN DIEGO
There is no distinct pattern . They go in every which direction. I haven't seen this before and trust me when I say, I have reviewed A LOT of phones. It's strange to see gorilla glass 4 scratching this way. I have had my Note 4 for many months and it looks fantastic. I can see a few hairline scratches but nothing like what I already see on this less than a day old S6 Edge. At this point, I really can't pin down the cause. However, this is not made up. When I was at MWC I saw many, many models and didn't see any scratches on the displays. You bet once this device is more widely released that I will be exchanging mine!

Poetique

Aug 22, 2007
Alabama
So for those with scratched screens... how have you tried to go about cleaning them? And do the T-Mobile units come with a dust cover or a screen protector? If it's the latter, you might definitely want to try cleaning them as you could just be seeing small bits of adhesive.

DrexelDragon

May 12, 2013
There is no distinct pattern . They go in every which direction. I haven't seen this before and trust me when I say, I have reviewed A LOT of phones. It's strange to see gorilla glass 4 scratching this way. I have had my Note 4 for many months and it looks fantastic. I can see a few hairline scratches but nothing like what I already see on this less than a day old S6 Edge. At this point, I really can't pin down the cause. However, this is not made up. When I was at MWC I saw many, many models and didn't see any scratches on the displays. You bet once this device is more widely released that I will be exchanging mine!

Do you have black or white?

angelofmusic

Nov 7, 2007
SAN DIEGO
Scratches are scratches...

So for those with scratched screens... how have you tried to go about cleaning them? And do the T-Mobile units come with a dust cover or a screen protector? If it's the latter, you might definitely want to try cleaning them as you could just be seeing small bits of adhesive.

There was the standard plastic dust protector. All looked perfect as I pulled it out of that sleeve. Immediately I looked at the display and saw a pretty deep scratch. I thought it was adhesive and I rubbed at it. It didn't go away. Then I could feel it with my fingernail. Next I looked at the entire display in the light and I saw hairline scratches all over the place. Something is definitely going on here.

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

Do you have black or white?

Mine is black but I can't see that mattering much, unless one particular factory dealt with our models and they were only black...

Poetique

Aug 22, 2007
Alabama
There was the standard plastic dust protector. All looked perfect as I pulled it out of that sleeve. Immediately I looked at the display and saw a pretty deep scratch. I thought it was adhesive and I rubbed at it. It didn't go away. Then I could feel it with my fingernail. Next I looked at the entire display in the light and I saw hairline scratches all over the place. Something is definitely going on here.

That's very odd, and does sound like the sort of thing that would happen when there's a combination of an issue with fine debris getting trapped under the dust cover and the device being shaken about during shipping as it's unlikely that such a thing would pass any QA inspections.

The only unusual thing is that you said there was a DEEP scratch, and fine debris wouldn't cause that. Larger debris could, but that would indicate someone just being careless while packaging the device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well guys, I went to Best Buy to see their display models and compare my S6 Edge to theirs.

All three of their display models (one white, 2 black) had NO scratches at all. Perfect.

I took a picture of my edge (on the right) next to one of the display models (on the left):

http://imgur.com/8ZIOOQp

It may be hard to tell but my Edge is yellow and less sharp compared to the display model. So that answer the question that there is something else going on, this problem is affecting the display quality itself and that the scratches aren't something that is "supposed" to be there.
    On sunday, I pre ordered a 128gb s6 edge on tmobile's website, it arrived on tuesday, and as soon as I turned it on I noticed dead pixels and also i noticed under direct sunlight that the screen had scratches everywhere, i paid almost one thousand dollars for this and I found that unacceptable, so I called TMobile and they said I had to return the phone, wait until they refunded my money and then I could order another one OR I could buy another one and pay for it and return this one. So I just went ahead and placed another order and they overnighted a new phone to me. The phone arrived today, and it also has dead pixels or something black under the display (very noticebale) and also has a really scratched screen. The phone is nice, it works fine most of the time, but my problem is not with the software, it is with the lack of quality control Samsung is showing with this release.

I decided to return both phones, and i will be sticking with my iphone 6 until Samsung gets their act together, I dont want to throw Samsung under the but for a flagship phone, this issues should be non-existent. My advice to anyone that has ordered a s6 edge, is to check your screen for any dead pixels, and to check your phone;s screen under direct sunlight and see if you find any scratches.

IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg

Genuine issues

I think the hanging... it has more to do with your bias against Samsung as of late and your seemingly unending barrage of issues with everything you get--not because of your predictable issue with the s6 edge.

The issues that I find with devices are genuine and true. I don't make any of it up. I notice things very quickly and I tell people about it. If it's the truth there is no reason to be angry, except some ( very few people) come to see this as purely negativity. Some don't want to hear about issues. Only the good things. I can't be responsible for that and I will always be as honest as possible, even to the annoyance of others.

I don't have a bias towards Samsung. I pick at things with every single device. It doesn't matter if it is Samsung or anyone else. Trust me, once you review and play with so many phones, you stop caring about which is best. You start to like features and hate features from all of them.