Notice: IMSLogger+ potential malware preinstalled on our devices.

Search This thread

The.Jericho.Initiative

Jan 3, 2009
Texas
This bastard is an evil little logger application with access to everything but apparently no known function. Recommend Removal.

Attachments

• ae1e705c4e28aa2373c81712fbc59d42.jpg
    ae1e705c4e28aa2373c81712fbc59d42.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 9,806
  • 7763db608dea7a4f5133d0991e1a604f.jpg
    7763db608dea7a4f5133d0991e1a604f.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 9,442
  • 9cf0147a7033666faa946d558288b63c.jpg
    9cf0147a7033666faa946d558288b63c.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 9,273
  • 717904a196a33cc8f70dbd393f922a58.jpg
    717904a196a33cc8f70dbd393f922a58.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 7,498
  • f8430e9f6357d30e1e688e03f89b1b13.jpg
    f8430e9f6357d30e1e688e03f89b1b13.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 7,120
  • 73c16eaea5e5cde7077f73dd17b06708.jpg
    73c16eaea5e5cde7077f73dd17b06708.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 7,110

somekeystrokes

Jul 1, 2011
I dont see it in my device by the name of IMSLOGGER. Iam an Indian user, confirm which region firmware are you on?

tigabert

Jan 10, 2006
I think IMS stands for IP Multimedia Subsystem used in the delivery of VOLTE.

The.Jericho.Initiative

Jan 3, 2009
Texas

It's possible IMS Settings could have that purpose, I've seen mention of it in regard to some T-Mobile devices however IMSLogger+ has no known function whatsoever, it's simply an app called logger that has access to everything you do and everything your id does in relation to your device. As far as I can tell there is absolutely no cost in disabling this application so until someone can identify a function that requires this to be enabled, it's simply common sense to do so.

Further, and I have no idea if it's relevant or not, but even it's naming convention is different from the other associated applications:

com.sec.ims 1.0
IMS Service 1.0
IMS Settings 1.0
com.sec.imslogger 1.20150211_LDM

I understand I'm offering an incomplete picture here, but our corporate 'benefactors' have a long history of being as shady as they possibly can be until they are caught and then they just try something else... Our data is a commodity resource to these people so they'll do what they can to acquire it.

In the end it's a question of trust. I don't, so I uninstalled it, but I wanted to pass on the information should anyone else want to do the same.

tigabert

Jan 10, 2006
Besides imslogger+, I also have "silentlogging 1.01" in my Singapore device. Anyone knows what is "silentlogging" for?

Sent from my SM-G925I using xda premium

The.Jericho.Initiative

Jan 3, 2009
Texas
Besides imslogger+, I also have "silentlogging 1.01" in my Singapore device. Anyone knows what is "silentlogging" for?

Sent from my SM-G925I using xda premium

Silentlogging 1.01
com.sec.modem.settings
Safe to disable

I've seen one post saying it's part of Kernal Management and a normal function of the phone however I've seen a hundred posts saying the package has been safely disabled or uninstalled without any discernible impact on device functionality. If anyone has an idea what this app does, I'd welcome any insight offered.

Edit: Maybe not a hundred, maybe closer to 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: tigabert

mehdi_s82

Oct 30, 2007
Rockville, MD
Silentlogging 1.01
com.sec.modem.settings
Safe to disable

I've seen one post saying it's part of Kernal Management and a normal function of the phone however I've seen a hundred posts saying the package has been safely disabled or uninstalled without any discernible impact on device functionality. If anyone has an idea what this app does, I'd welcome any insight offered.

I have G9250 unlocked variant for Taiwan. The app is there.

Oliv3

Mar 30, 2012
Seattle, WA
I also noticed another found under 12py0ny0u.dev.6.66 does nothing as far as I can tell, but have access to pretty much everything.

Try to uninstall/disable if you see it.

jonchliu

Aug 27, 2013
I dont see it in my device by the name of IMSLOGGER. Iam an Indian user, confirm which region firmware are you on?

If your country or carrier doesn't have VoLTE then you won't have it enabled on your phone, that's why you can't find it.

EDIT:
You can check here if your carrier has it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VoLTE#Deployment

So far it's only launched in Canada, Czech Republic, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, and USA. But even in those countries, only a few carriers have it.

Last edited:

desiregeek

Jun 27, 2010
Good old NSA must have had something worked out with Samsung. I bought mine in Hung Coc* as well and it too came with this IMSlogger as well that has and asks for every permission you never even thought about. No uninstall option either.

Last edited:

desiregeek

Jun 27, 2010
Every permission possible has been ticked by developer.

Attachments

• 1433316607030.jpg
    1433316607030.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 2,425

jonchliu

Aug 27, 2013
Silentlogging 1.01
com.sec.modem.settings
Safe to disable

Silent Logging is not turned on by default that's why it's safe to disable.

From the looks of it, it logs diagnostic info from the cell modem. I think it's only ever used for diagnostic purposes though and is not ever turned on normally. You can enable in Service Mode or if you set system property dev.silentlog.on set to "on".

If you don't have any of the log files at:
Code:
/data/log/Slog_ril_xxxxx.log 
/data/log/Slog_main_xxxxx.log (where xxxxx is the time the log got saved)

Or the config file at:
Code:
/data/slog/SilentLog

...then you don't have Silent Logging running.

As for IMSLogger, it doesn't look nefarious. It is for VoLTE though, so has anyone tried if VoLTE still work when you have IMSLogger disabled/deleted. Mind you, VoIP or Skype or any other IP/SIP over wifi or LTE is NOT VoLTE (VoLTE is specifically optimised for voice using IMS whereas none of the others are). So to test, make sure you are actually using VoLTE (and that you have it enabled in your carrier plan) and not some other VoIP solution.

SethNY

Mar 18, 2007
IMSLogger+ is used by Samsung engineers to get the processor logs and interfaces logs from the phone for debugging purposes. In Engineering firmwares it can export the IP traces in PCAP format and it has a nice interface to see all the VoLTE/SIP messages in real time. Basically it can log all the calls signalization, excluding the voice packets.

It's launched from the IMS Settings application that is used to customize VoLTE/VoWIFI/RCS parameters for each operator.

By default the IMSLogger+ doesn't log anything, Below you have a movie done from my rooted Samsung S6 Edge G925F that shows how to launch the application. I'm sure IMSLogger+ can be disabled without any impact to VoLTE. Maybe Samsung should have done it from the very beginning.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/px0xhymiyq4rdkt/2015_10_24_22_18_37.mp4?dl=0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This bastard is an evil little logger application with access to everything but apparently no known function. Recommend Removal.
    IMSLogger+ is used by Samsung engineers to get the processor logs and interfaces logs from the phone for debugging purposes. In Engineering firmwares it can export the IP traces in PCAP format and it has a nice interface to see all the VoLTE/SIP messages in real time. Basically it can log all the calls signalization, excluding the voice packets.

It's launched from the IMS Settings application that is used to customize VoLTE/VoWIFI/RCS parameters for each operator.

By default the IMSLogger+ doesn't log anything, Below you have a movie done from my rooted Samsung S6 Edge G925F that shows how to launch the application. I'm sure IMSLogger+ can be disabled without any impact to VoLTE. Maybe Samsung should have done it from the very beginning.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/px0xhymiyq4rdkt/2015_10_24_22_18_37.mp4?dl=0
    Silentlogging 1.01
    com.sec.modem.settings
    Safe to disable

Silent Logging is not turned on by default that's why it's safe to disable.

From the looks of it, it logs diagnostic info from the cell modem. I think it's only ever used for diagnostic purposes though and is not ever turned on normally. You can enable in Service Mode or if you set system property dev.silentlog.on set to "on".

If you don't have any of the log files at:
    Code:
    /data/log/Slog_ril_xxxxx.log 
    /data/log/Slog_main_xxxxx.log (where xxxxx is the time the log got saved)

Or the config file at:
    Code:
    /data/slog/SilentLog

...then you don't have Silent Logging running.

As for IMSLogger, it doesn't look nefarious. It is for VoLTE though, so has anyone tried if VoLTE still work when you have IMSLogger disabled/deleted. Mind you, VoIP or Skype or any other IP/SIP over wifi or LTE is NOT VoLTE (VoLTE is specifically optimised for voice using IMS whereas none of the others are). So to test, make sure you are actually using VoLTE (and that you have it enabled in your carrier plan) and not some other VoIP solution.

It's possible IMS Settings could have that purpose, I've seen mention of it in regard to some T-Mobile devices however IMSLogger+ has no known function whatsoever, it's simply an app called logger that has access to everything you do and everything your id does in relation to your device. As far as I can tell there is absolutely no cost in disabling this application so until someone can identify a function that requires this to be enabled, it's simply common sense to do so.

Further, and I have no idea if it's relevant or not, but even it's naming convention is different from the other associated applications:

com.sec.ims 1.0
    IMS Service 1.0
    IMS Settings 1.0
    com.sec.imslogger 1.20150211_LDM

I understand I'm offering an incomplete picture here, but our corporate 'benefactors' have a long history of being as shady as they possibly can be until they are caught and then they just try something else... Our data is a commodity resource to these people so they'll do what they can to acquire it.

In the end it's a question of trust. I don't, so I uninstalled it, but I wanted to pass on the information should anyone else want to do the same.

If your country or carrier doesn't have VoLTE then you won't have it enabled on your phone, that's why you can't find it.

EDIT:
    You can check here if your carrier has it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VoLTE#Deployment

So far it's only launched in Canada, Czech Republic, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, and USA. But even in those countries, only a few carriers have it.