667 posts
Thanks Meter: 306

By nookcoloruser, Senior Member on 23rd April 2015, 09:51 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
24th April 2015, 03:44 AM |#11  
Flag Bowling Green, KY
Thanks Meter: 372

More
It's really irritating. My 6 plus with 1gb of ram is better than this. What I don't get is you can have 400mb plus of ram available and stuff starts closing. Makes no sense.

24th April 2015, 03:45 AM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
I had this issue with my nexus too, and my s5 with lollypop.. I wonder if there is a settinf
24th April 2015, 01:05 PM |#13  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kerry

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by americasteam

It's really irritating. My 6 plus with 1gb of ram is better than this. What I don't get is you can have 400mb plus of ram available and stuff starts closing. Makes no sense.

Yep... I have less refreshes with my 6+ too.

The 400mb free ram available thing irks me too - if it's free why isn't it being used ? And what the heck is using up the 2.4gb before it ? Even when I tell it to close all my apps the most I have free is around 700mb which soon drops back to the 400-480mb mark. It's crazy how memory hungry and inefficient it's being.
27th April 2015, 06:32 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
holy crap! finally!
I've been searching for a thread like this for a week. Just got my phone a few days ago and man the ram management is piss poor. My HTC M7 doesn't have this issue. And yes I've wondered why no review site has mentioned this at all. I mostly noticed it on Chrome.. or even the stock browser. But yes it does this auto refresh crap on other apps as well. I don't know about you guys but I have the AT&The variant non edge and I have 5.0.2.
The Following User Says Thank You to t0md0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift t0md0 Ad-Free
27th April 2015, 10:56 PM |#15  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kerry

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0md0

I've been searching for a thread like this for a week. Just got my phone a few days ago and man the ram management is piss poor. My HTC M7 doesn't have this issue. And yes I've wondered why no review site has mentioned this at all. I mostly noticed it on Chrome.. or even the stock browser. But yes it does this auto refresh crap on other apps as well. I don't know about you guys but I have the AT&The variant non edge and I have 5.0.2.

Yeah I have a stock UK/Ireland factory unbranded handset, so its not carrier app fault either unfortunately.

The M7 & M8 are both excellent indeed - with near stock android levels of memory management, which only goes to prove an android skin doesn't have to suck the life out of a device, which is exactly what Touchwiz feels like its doing.

The S5 wasn't great memory management wise, the Note 4 was good but no where near as good as the Note 3 memory wise and sadly the S6e seems very poor especially when you consider it has 3gb. So it seems to me since the Note 3 Samsung's flagships have been getting worse ram management wise rather than better.

I have a €950 flagship phone which handles memory about as good as a Moto G with 1gb.
The Following User Says Thank You to nookcoloruser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nookcoloruser Ad-Free
27th April 2015, 11:41 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookcoloruser

Yeah I have a stock UK/Ireland factory unbranded handset, so its not carrier app fault either unfortunately.

The M7 & M8 are both excellent indeed - with near stock android levels of memory management, which only goes to prove an android skin doesn't have to suck the life out of a device, which is exactly what Touchwiz feels like its doing.

The S5 wasn't great memory management wise, the Note 4 was good but no where near as good as the Note 3 memory wise and sadly the S6e seems very poor especially when you consider it has 3gb. So it seems to me since the Note 3 Samsung's flagships have been getting worse ram management wise rather than better.

I have a €950 flagship phone which handles memory about as good as a Moto G with 1gb.

so you're telling me that the S5 for a year now still has crappy ram management??? that's just crazy and boggles my mind. i seriously don't want to keep this phone for 2 years of this nonsense (i get a new phone every 2 years). if that's the case i might just return this phone. as good as it is, that's almost a deal breaker to me. i always multitask switching from web page to messenger, to camera, sports apps etc.. etc.. then back to web page just to see it auto refresh every time! if i'm just bouncing back and forth between a couple apps within a min or so it doesn't seem to do this but after about 5 mins.. it never fails.. auto refresh is a certain. so sad. i don't want to go back to apple, but right now, i might have to return this phone and wait for iPhone 6S.

what also baffles me is that i don't seem to see much people talking about this issue considering this is a flagship phone and millions have already been sold worldwide.
27th April 2015, 11:51 PM |#17  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kerry

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0md0

so you're telling me that the S5 for a year now still has crappy ram management??? that's just crazy and boggles my mind. i seriously don't want to keep this phone for 2 years of this nonsense (i get a new phone every 2 years). if that's the case i might just return this phone. as good as it is, that's almost a deal breaker to me. i always multitask switching from web page to messenger, to camera, sports apps etc.. etc.. then back to web page just to see it auto refresh every time! if i'm just bouncing back and forth between a couple apps within a min or so it doesn't seem to do this but after about 5 mins.. it never fails.. auto refresh is a certain. so sad. i don't want to go back to apple, but right now, i might have to return this phone and wait for iPhone 6S.

what also baffles me is that i don't seem to see much people talking about this issue considering this is a flagship phone and millions have already been sold worldwide.

I think because the phone is otherwise very very fast some folks may not be noticing the refreshes. Its certainly more noticeable on apps that drop you out of what you were doing back to a previous menu screen like Tapatalk.

I think people genuinely want to believe the
Hype that the S6 & S6e are the nirvana of android...

I must admit I too am shocked folks aren't complaining more or are giving the device an easy pass on this issue, but for me its a total PITA.

I will keep the S6e until the next update and hope that has some memory tweaks, but if it doesn't I'll consider just selling it on.
The Following User Says Thank You to nookcoloruser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nookcoloruser Ad-Free
28th April 2015, 09:55 AM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 147

More
I tiped phonearena about this issu and they announced it today so maybe this will open some eyes in Samsung dep.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Galax...-users_id68745

now also up on Sammobile

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/04/28/...6-and-s6-edge/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johanbiff For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift johanbiff Ad-Free
29th April 2015, 01:54 AM |#19  
Flag Placentia, California
Thanks Meter: 289

Donate to Me
More
So far, ive had issues of battery drain with bundled apps such as the AMAZON app store, as most of us here are already aware. I wonder if this ram issue has to do with the same preloaded apps causing issues? What about people who rooted and reinstalled all Play-Store-Reinstallable apps, through the Play store, has that cleared this issue? Maybe the misbehaving apps are taking their system-level privilege a little too far?
29th April 2015, 03:19 AM |#20  
Flag Central Jersey. That's it
Thanks Meter: 543

More
Glad some review sites are taking an eye on this. It's actually really annoying. Even my music app constantly shuts off and I have to force it to cause a wake lock for it not to shut off (poweramp has this option)

Sent from my SM-G925T
29th April 2015, 08:43 AM |#21  
OP Senior Member
Flag Kerry

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Ramy

So far, ive had issues of battery drain with bundled apps such as the AMAZON app store, as most of us here are already aware. I wonder if this ram issue has to do with the same preloaded apps causing issues? What about people who rooted and reinstalled all Play-Store-Reinstallable apps, through the Play store, has that cleared this issue? Maybe the misbehaving apps are taking their system-level privilege a little too far?

I have a UK/Ireland unbranded edition. It came with very little extra bloat other than Microsoft apps.

I never got Amazon, what's app, Facebook, Instagram etc...

So it's not the extra pre-installed apps unfortunately.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)