FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

No deep-sleep?

2,244 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,427

By 3c, Senior Member on 12th April 2015, 07:02 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
EDIT: Should you experience this issue on a stock kernel while there are no wakelocks generated by any apps, a fix has been developped by HomerSp and can be found here. All custom kernels available on XDA integrate it as far as I know. You will find plenty of information about the fix in this thread, however please note no app can solve this because this is a kernel issue. Should you have applied the fix and the issue persists, try doing a factory reset to start fresh.

Got the edge yesterday (SM-G925F version) and rooted it immediately (after receiving OTA), so I'm not sure if it's a bug or rooting that's causing it. I already tried disabling edge screen, and factory reset, but it had no effect.

The standby drain is about 1.5%/h with no deep-sleep. For comparison my old Nexus 6 was draining 1.4%/h with stock kernel and about 0.2%/h with Faux123 kernel as seen on screenshots. I'm pretty sure it's going to be great once the device goes in deep-sleep, but couldn't find any particular culprit except the OS itself!?

Anyone experienced this and managed to solve it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nexus 6.jpg
Views:	12240
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	3257875   Click image for larger version

Name:	S6.png
Views:	11884
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	3257876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-12-07-46-32.jpg
Views:	10908
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	3257878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-12-07-47-58.jpg
Views:	10746
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	3257879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-12-08-00-17.png
Views:	10604
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	3257883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-12-08-00-23.png
Views:	10436
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	3257884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-12-08-00-26.png
Views:	10076
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	3257885  

12th April 2015, 11:59 AM |#2  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 526

More
I read in the root thread that the lack of deep sleep is due to root itself. If you can show me how to check for deep sleep on a non rooted device id be happy to check for you.
12th April 2015, 01:07 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I didn't root my phone, and last night I lost 20% over night during sleep
If my calculation is correct I lost almost 3% per hour while my phone not in use
I guess my phone don't know how to sleep properly
12th April 2015, 07:49 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,427

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnovanova

I read in the root thread that the lack of deep sleep is due to root itself. If you can show me how to check for deep sleep on a non rooted device id be happy to check for you.

You can use most CPU apps, even though they won't be able to change CPU settings because of lack of root, they will show you CPU times, and most importantly offline mode. I use my own app for that, allowing to track battery history as well and also showing CPU times. You can try the following apps which will definitely show you deep-sleep: 3C CPU Manager or System Tuner or 3C Toolbox, all 3 are free (with ads).

In 3C CPU Manager, in first tab, called CPU, you'll see a 'Sleep' meter on top of the 3 graphs. That will indicate actual sleep time, versus run time. Mine is (was) showing nothing (eg 0 deep-sleep). In second tab called Times, you can check each CPU frequencies time used, it should show offline time, if not that means no deep-sleep! Screenshots were attached in OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHardplastic

I didn't root my phone, and last night I lost 20% over night during sleep
If my calculation is correct I lost almost 3% per hour while my phone not in use
I guess my phone don't know how to sleep properly

This seems to suggest this has nothing to do with rooting in the first place. I've only got one rooted app on my device, as always and never seen this caused by root. I've seen it caused by bugged ROMs, bugged kernels and more rarely by recovery issues, but not with my setup.

Anyway, I just rebooted less than an hour ago, and just realized it's going into deep-sleep now! Didn't change recovery which eliminate this as the culprit. Was only developping some new notification for the edge screen all afternoon. Didn't uninstall anything or changed any particular settings either except Edge screen feeds, disabling all feeds except notification and my own new feeds. Maybe that helped?

Also activated the panel left of the home screen with minimal news feeds, tech and science, but I don't see how it would relate to this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-12-20-21-33.png
Views:	4766
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	3258858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-12-20-21-38.jpg
Views:	4790
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	3258859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-12-20-19-56.jpg
Views:	4726
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	3258860  
The Following User Says Thank You to 3c For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 3c Ad-Free
12th April 2015, 09:27 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3c

You can use most CPU apps, even though they won't be able to change CPU settings because of lack of root, they will show you CPU times, and most importantly offline mode. I use my own app for that, allowing to track battery history as well and also showing CPU times. You can try the following apps which will definitely show you deep-sleep: 3C CPU Manager or System Tuner or 3C Toolbox, all 3 are free (with ads).

In 3C CPU Manager, in first tab, called CPU, you'll see a 'Sleep' meter on top of the 3 graphs. That will indicate actual sleep time, versus run time. Mine is (was) showing nothing (eg 0 deep-sleep). In second tab called Times, you can check each CPU frequencies time used, it should show offline time, if not that means no deep-sleep! Screenshots were attached in OP.

This seems to suggest this has nothing to do with rooting in the first place. I've only got one rooted app on my device, as always and never seen this caused by root. I've seen it caused by bugged ROMs, bugged kernels and more rarely by recovery issues, but not with my setup.

Anyway, I just rebooted less than an hour ago, and just realized it's going into deep-sleep now! Didn't change recovery which eliminate this as the culprit. Was only developping some new notification for the edge screen all afternoon. Didn't uninstall anything or changed any particular settings either except Edge screen feeds, disabling all feeds except notification and my own new feeds. Maybe that helped?

Also activated the panel left of the home screen with minimal news feeds, tech and science, but I don't see how it would relate to this.

Did you use cf auto root? That's how I rooted my tmo 32gb edge and it hasn't been in deep sleep since last Tuesday. I didn't install that ota update people are talking about and have no idea that there was an update and I didn't install or mess with the recovery at all after root and my phone still stays awake.
12th April 2015, 10:58 PM |#6  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 526

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3c

If offline means sleep then she sleeps like a newborn.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1428875859426.jpg
Views:	3038
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	3259077  
13th April 2015, 12:26 AM |#7  
Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?
Thanks Meter: 85,434

Donate to Me
More
To make things more weird, I just dumped the currently held wakelocks, and at first sight it appears there is no actively held wakelock keeping the device alive. Which implies a kernel issue, but that is beyond my expertise. Needs some further research.

(Terminal emulator, disconnect USB, "sleep 30 && cat /d/wakeup_sources", turn off screen, wait a minute, turn it back on, and you get a wakelock list with 0 active wakelocks - that's shouldn't even be possible)

Either way I maintain that recovery should have nothing to do with this (binary status though, perhaps?)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th April 2015, 01:14 AM |#8  
Flag In the boot of a stolen police car
Thanks Meter: 90

More
FWIW, we've been discussing this a lot over in the T-M section, and the recovery seems to fix it. We've also found that a clean install from Smart Switch seems to be helpful.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/tmob...sleep-t3079385

Thanks for all of your work Chainfire!
The Following User Says Thank You to dc/dc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dc/dc Ad-Free
13th April 2015, 01:20 AM |#9  
Flag Miami
Thanks Meter: 608

More
Yeap all you guys have to do is flash ur stock recovery and deep sleep will be back...... For some reason this root is getting rid of our recovery all together just flash the stock recovery and deep sleep will be fine
The Following User Says Thank You to gdmlaz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gdmlaz Ad-Free
13th April 2015, 01:21 AM |#10  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc

FWIW, we've been discussing this a lot over in the T-M section, and the recovery seems to fix it. We've also found that a clean install from Smart Switch seems to be helpful.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/tmob...sleep-t3079385

Thanks for all of your work Chainfire!

Too many posts there of people CAPsing random gospel in red letters to make it more of the truth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th April 2015, 01:32 AM |#11  

Donate to Me
More
Some further (preliminary, non-extensive, quick) testing seems to indicate that it is indeed the binary status flag rather than the recovery itself that triggers this.

- After CFAR you end up with an official recovery (not necessarily from the matching firmware you were using)
- Binary status: custom, deep sleep issue
- Use root to pull that recovery from the device, trim it so it ends with the correct signature, tar it, flash it via ODIN
- Binary status: official, deep sleep works
- Use root to pull that same recovery again, blank out the signature, push it back (not via ODIN, just DD), reboot into recovery, then back to Android
- Binary status: custom, deep sleep issue is back again

Further testing still required for any real conclusions can be drawn. If this is true (end I certainly hope I end up being wrong) this means custom recoveries like TWRP (which also trigger the custom binary status) would also cause the deep sleep issue. It is the question if the problem is inside the stock kernel, and whether this is intentional (which would be very disturbing indeed) - guess checking out the kernel sources would be in order. On the other hand, it also seems like flashing any properly signed kernel will treat the symptom, it doesn't necessarily need to be the one matching your firmware (maybe not even exact model ?).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chainfire For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)