FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] GPS not working properly

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By torbear, Junior Member on 19th April 2015, 09:40 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello!

Let me just start off by saying I am very pleased with my S6 Edge, it is such a big leap in pretty much all aspects from my previous S4.

I only have one issue, and that is a pretty annoying one.

The GPS is not at all as accurate as the S4, and it loses signal completely every other minute or so - sometimes more often.

I have tried both Google Maps and the main reason why I want the GPS to run smoothly: Waze, same issue in both of them.
Lets not even discuss Runkeeper, giving me ridiculous run times.

The app GPS Test, when run on both S6 Edge and S4 simultaneously, tells me that the S4 finds and locks on to 2 more satellites (16 vs 18) with a
constant accuracy of 4-8 m.

The S6 Edge is mostly on 12 m (never lower), but jumps all the way up to 32/48 m for short moments. As mentioned before it cuts out completely for a brief second once in a while making it even more unreliable.

Factory reset made no difference.

Is this something that anyone else is experiencing?
Could it be a hardware defect?
The Following User Says Thank You to torbear For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift torbear Ad-Free

19th April 2015, 09:47 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by torbear

Same here. This problem is also discussed on a german forum. I don't think it's a hardware defect. Maybe caused by the glass/metall material or bad antenna design, or a software bug. I don't know. You are not the only one who is not satisfied with S6 Edge's gps performance, but many people will not even notice that the accuracy of the s6 gps is poor. An accuracy about a maximum of 6-12 meters is, in my opinion, not acceptable for a todays high-end phone. I hope Samsung will fix it. Otherwise i will sell my S6 Edge, because i track a lot, use it for running, geocaching and all these nice things
19th April 2015, 10:21 PM |#3  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 855

More
Try faster GPS to update GPS files
20th April 2015, 01:24 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brava27

Try faster GPS to update GPS files

This requires rooting your phone. I am getting exactly the same issues, I assumed that this was just my handset, now it is happening to others.

Runkeeper seems to think I have run an extra 0.5 miles, which clearly isnt the case
The Following User Says Thank You to nparrett For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nparrett Ad-Free
20th April 2015, 05:21 PM |#5  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 855

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nparrett

This requires rooting your phone. I am getting exactly the same issues, I assumed that this was just my handset, now it is happening to others.

Runkeeper seems to think I have run an extra 0.5 miles, which clearly isnt the case

Nothing wrong with my GPS
The Following User Says Thank You to Brava27 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Brava27 Ad-Free
20th April 2015, 05:30 PM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brava27

Nothing wrong with my GPS

Do you go running with runkeeper? Have you tested your GPS using the GPS test against another samsung device
20th April 2015, 06:10 PM |#7  
Flag den haag
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nparrett

Do you go running with runkeeper? Have you tested your GPS using the GPS test against another samsung device

Gps here very good,no dropouts.
I have also the note 4,and that gps is very bad,dropouts every second.
20th April 2015, 06:57 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by painterceessie

Gps here very good,no dropouts.
I have also the note 4,and that gps is very bad,dropouts every second.

Hopefully this means the GPS is supposed to perform better than what I experience.

I will be returning my unit as DOA.
20th April 2015, 09:51 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Please show us some results with gps test den haag...
22nd April 2015, 12:50 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 146

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by torbear

Hello!

Let me just start off by saying I am very pleased with my S6 Edge, it is such a big leap in pretty much all aspects from my previous S4.

I only have one issue, and that is a pretty annoying one.

The GPS is not at all as accurate as the S4, and it loses signal completely every other minute or so - sometimes more often.

I have tried both Google Maps and the main reason why I want the GPS to run smoothly: Waze, same issue in both of them.
Lets not even discuss Runkeeper, giving me ridiculous run times.

The app GPS Test, when run on both S6 Edge and S4 simultaneously, tells me that the S4 finds and locks on to 2 more satellites (16 vs 18) with a
constant accuracy of 4-8 m.

The S6 Edge is mostly on 12 m (never lower), but jumps all the way up to 32/48 m for short moments. As mentioned before it cuts out completely for a brief second once in a while making it even more unreliable.

Factory reset made no difference.

I've been having the GPS issue as well and narrowed it down to a few things. First, if you activated the battery saver, GPS is virtually unusable. When you go to shut off the gps and exit all gps using applications, it continues searching for GPS. A reboot is the only thing that stops it. I did not find that to be the issue when battery saver is off. I haven't tried Runkeeper with no battery saver but will report back when I do. I think it is a hardware thing. I've had multiple phones, including the Note 4, and the GPS was almost flawless. By the way - this is my second phone, same issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to kheltek For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kheltek Ad-Free
22nd April 2015, 04:39 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kheltek

I've been having the GPS issue as well and narrowed it down to a few things. First, if you activated the battery saver, GPS is virtually unusable. When you go to shut off the gps and exit all gps using applications, it continues searching for GPS. A reboot is the only thing that stops it. I did not find that to be the issue when battery saver is off. I haven't tried Runkeeper with no battery saver but will report back when I do. I think it is a hardware thing. I've had multiple phones, including the Note 4, and the GPS was almost flawless. By the way - this is my second phone, same issue.

It concerns me that you have had two phones with the same issue, I was banking that it is my handset only. Has anyone reported the issue to samsung?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)