FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

What happened to Auto Brightness with the Marshmallow update

11 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By biemowo, Junior Member on 7th April 2016, 06:19 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Auto brightness... What happened? It used to just work. You know, automatically. If you adjusted the slider it would snap out of Auto mode and lock to what ever you set it at. Going back to full auto was a s simple as selecting the checkbox again in the quick settings.

I don't know if it's part of Marshmallow or TouchWiz but now the brightness slider controls the automatic-ness of the brightness. So its more like a auto "range selector" or "sensitivity selector" it seems. Its more of a semi-automatic mode.

If you set it to ~50% the brightness will adjust +/- 10% around that setting. But it doesn't seem to just automatically do 0-100% on its own anymore.

Set it near 100% and it'll practically refuse to dim in low indoor lighting.

It also seems to respond to whether or not you're holding the phone. It'll get brighter no matter what (thankfully), but it will not lower the screen brightness until you put it down on a horizontal surface... Kind of annoying if you're reading and happen to walk in to a dim room and you're being blinded by your phone until you put it down and then pick it back up. I have Smart Stay turned off so that's not it.

I definitely prefer the plain old, dumb, just works, auto-brightness that I could snap on and off if I needed. Now its...complicated. Why "fix" what isn't broken. Was it confusing some people?

I tried Lux Brightness control app but I'm not sure it's really what I'm looking for. It's too much. I just want "set it and forget it" Automatic (0-100%) brightness like it used to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to biemowo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift biemowo Ad-Free

7th April 2016, 07:34 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
It's a feature. The brightness slider will now bias the automatic setting toward higher or lower brightness while still maintaining the automatic adjustment functionality. Turn off the automatic setting check-box to accomplish full manual control.
7th April 2016, 10:53 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
What ever happened to just plain Automatic? I don't want to have to mess with a slider. It adjusted the brightness fine before. I find that now it's either too bright or too dim for many situations and I'm constantly messing with the slider. Whereas before, auto was just auto.
10th April 2016, 12:29 AM |#4  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Same problem here... It is very annoying

Sent from my SM-G925F using XDA-Developers mobile app
11th April 2016, 04:50 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Interestingly, with my old s3 and now my current s6, when looking at battery usage, the screen was always about 15% and usually the second item in the list of things that use the most battery power. It was what I always loved about amoled. Now, screen is number one and comes in at ~50% after the marshmallow update. I wonder if it's because it's always so bright now? Or perhaps they've changed how battery usage is measured. Not much I can do about it. Just an a interesting observation.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)