FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

A guide to a better battery life.

710 posts
Thanks Meter: 175

By Faspaiso, Senior Member on 25th April 2015, 06:05 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
Hi

I see a lot of people on here complaining about the battery life on this phone, when in fact it's quite good. I have been able to pull off 3.30 hours SOT today with 40% left and 18 hours since unplugged with not even half the settings below (only turning off the things I don't use at all) and my Smart Watch connected with bluetooth all day.

I came from a Xperia Z3 before and of course it's nothing compared to that one (even tho, at times I get higher SOT) but the Galaxy S6 is also capable of way more.

When I first started with the phone, I was one of those that got barely 2 hours SOT so here I will write down the tips & tricks I gathered from reading on here and the things I found out myself.

First of, if you rooted, the cause could be no deep sleep. Check http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...o-fix-t3088860 by Meboy.

If you have deep sleep this might do it.

1. Disable voLTE as it's not really needed. Phoneapp -> More -> Disable it from there.
2. As this is a amoled screen, each background light, light up individually, so having a black background (and black theme in apps) safe a lot of juice.
3. Wifi -> More -> uncheck always searching for wifi.
4. Settings -> search -> Trust Agents -> Disable Smart Lock if not using it. It use quite some battery even when not used (no idea why).
5. Update Samsung Push Service from App Store.
6. Disable movements and gestures if not using them. Settings -> Movements and gestures.
7. My Google Services used way to much battery. I found the app, deleted the data and it came "back in control", so it's acceptable with the battery drain now.
8. The Gmail app use less juice than the stock Email app.
9. Sync, NFC, GPS and off when not using. I only have mobile data on all the time.
10. If in low coverage area of 4g, use HSPA instead (if good coverage). I barely notice any different in speed, but my phone use way less battery in deep sleep now. Still at 100% after 8-9 hours of sleep when on HSPA (good signal) from 4g (very bad signal) where it could use over 5% a night.
11. Settings -> Availability -> Direct access -> Turn on -> Grayscale on. 3 taps on the home button will turn Grayscale on, which greatly reduce the power your screen consume. No need to have it on all the time. But at times, when you know you gotta need the battery, turn it on by 3 clicks on the home button and your screen will use less battery.
12. The Facebook and Messenger app use quite a lot of battery. But I need the Messenger app, but I deleted and disabled the Facebook app (remember to disable it too, as - no idea why - it still used battery even tho I was logged out. As the Facebook app is stock on the S6) and just use the web browser Facebook app. Works fine.
13. Other apps I disabled is:
  • Drive
  • Facebook
  • Everything with Google in front of it. Google books, play, now, plus etc.
  • Hangouts
  • Instagram
  • Onedrive
  • S Health and S Voice
  • Skype and Whatsapp
Just disable the apps you don't use.

14. Battery saver. If you don't want to have it on all the time, set it to a certain %, so that when your battery hit that % it turns on. Helps greatly improve battery life.
15. Greenify apps that run in the background, but no need to. Like
  • Dropbox
  • 9gag
  • MyFitnessPal
  • Wordfeud
etc
Don't disable apps you use all the time, like Messenger, Chrome, Snapchat and so on, as you will not get any notifications and it use more battery opening them up all the time.
16. Instead of using auto-brightness, set it as low as you can tolerate.
17. Vibration off - Feedback, keyboard and ringing. Vibration use quite some juice.
18. Turn google location history off. Can't remember where, but a fast Google search will tell you.
19. Have been reports about high usage if restoring from old phone or google/samsung account.
20. Heard someone say this, but not sure what other side effects it have. But he said that you could disable Google Services, as there is a wakelock bug on 5.0.2 and it should work fine if not using other Google apps. But not sure on this one!
21. Widgets are cool, but they have a drawback. Some of them use quite some battery too, like weather apps.

I know some of those things will turn your phone into a dumb phone, but this is clearly tips to improve battery life. No need to use everything all the time. Turn off the things you can live with all the time and the rest you can turn off and on as you like and when you need it.

EDIT: Tasker is also pretty neat with secure settings if you know how it works.

Then your phone can automatically turn GPS on when opening apps that use GPS and turn it off afterwards.
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Faspaiso For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Faspaiso Ad-Free

26th April 2015, 01:12 AM |#2  
Sin City
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Thank you for this, im not a heavy user but hell im seeing 30+ hrs on the phone ... cant complain

s6 made me do it
26th April 2015, 01:48 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Somewhere
Thanks Meter: 175

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyekyu

Thank you for this, im not a heavy user but hell im seeing 30+ hrs on the phone ... cant complain

s6 made me do it

Agreed! This phone have lasted me a weekend! 1-2 hours SOT a day, less than 1% battery loss for 10 hours standby time. It have just beaten my Xperia Z3.
26th April 2015, 04:25 PM |#4  
Flag gloucestershire
Thanks Meter: 171

More
Great thread it really helped a lot
26th April 2015, 04:56 PM |#5  
Flag San Diego, CA
Thanks Meter: 2,050

More
Man although I'm very pleased with battery life already, this is an excellent guide bro. This should be stickied in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
26th April 2015, 05:01 PM |#6  
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator
London
Thanks Meter: 24,582

Donate to Me
More
Mod Edit

Threads already exist:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...ricks-t3088264
http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...-tips-t3072049

Thread closed