Don't risk bricking your device if you're not on SM-G920F.
/* Disclaimer */
Your warranty is now void.
I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this kernel
before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.
/* Downloads */
1. You need to use ODIN 3.10.7
2. Download newsboot.tar, oldsboot.tar from http://arter97.com/browse/S6/M/root
3. Download PhilZ Touch recovery(tar format) from http://arter97.com/browse/exynos7420...ry/11.0/g920fi
/* Steps */
1. Do whatever steps necessary to upgrade your G920F to beta-testing Android M firmware.
SamMobile has a nice guide how to do this : http://www.sammobile.com/2015/12/23/...galaxy-s6-edge
I do not recommend users to use dumps online to upgrade to this beta-testing firmware. Follow official method.
2. Download [BETA]SuperSU 2.66 zip file on to your phone. - This new 2.66 version fixes deep-sleep!
3. Download ODIN and the necessary tar files on to your computer.
4. Put your device into your download mode(ODIN mode).
4.1. Make sure "Auto-reboot" is unchecked from ODIN's options menu.
5. Install oldsboot.tar
6. Hold down <Volume down> + <Power button> + <Home button> for 5+ seconds and re-enter download mode.
6.1. Make sure "Auto-reboot" is unchecked from ODIN's options menu.
7. Install PhilZ Touch recovery(tar format).
8. Hold down <Volume down> + <Power button> for few seconds until the screen goes black.
9. Hold down <Volume up> + <Power button> + <Home button> right after the screen goes black. Hold it until PhilZ Touch recovery pops up.
10. Install the downloaded [BETA]SuperSU 2.64 zip file.
11. After installation is finished, select "Reboot system".
12. Do not select "Yes - root" option, if PhilZ Touch recovery asks you to root your device.
13. Right after the screen goes black, hold down <Volume down> + <Power button> + <Home button> for 5+ seconds and re-enter download mode.
13.1. Make sure "Auto-reboot" is checked from ODIN's options menu.
14. Install newsboot.tar
15. During the first boot-up after installing SuperSU, your device will reboot once.
/* Explanations */
The oldsboot.tar includes sboot.bin(bootloader) from older Android L firmware, which allows us to use custom recovery that uses Android L kernel.
After we boot on the custom recovery, we can root.
But since the newer Android M kernel is not compatible with older sboot.bin, we have to re-install the newer sboot.bin. The newsboot.tar serves that purpose.
If you need stock recovery for some reason, use recovery.tar from http://arter97.com/browse/S6/M/root
You will not be able to get future Android M firmware updates after you follow this guide. You must re-install stock firmware to do that.
You have to repeat installing oldsboot.tar and newsboot.tar if you want to use custom recovery.
If you are stuck on the "Galaxy S6" boot logo, or reboots, try re-installing newsboot.tar.