FORUMS

The Impact of Encryption

2,227 posts
Thanks Meter: 677

By altimax98, Senior Member on 14th April 2015, 05:15 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So after having a Nexus 6 and rather liking the perceived security benefits of Encryption and seeing how it all but killed the useability of the device I wanted to know what the impact is of Encryption on the S6.

Now as we know Google backed down from requiring encryption on Lollipop devices. However, with my limited findings Samsung didn't have a thing to worry about.

I ran AndroBench 2 runs back to back on a clean boot with no background applications. I am posting up the fastest of each round. (The two runs were back and forth but within 3mb of each other or so)

Stock S6 64GB - 38GB free currently. The process took about 20 minutes on a full charge.

Before - No Encryption

After - Encrypted
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to altimax98 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift altimax98 Ad-Free
14th April 2015, 06:02 PM |#2  
Flag Northern California
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Not bad at all! Looks like I will turn this on when I get mine... I will run the same tests. I ordered the 128GB and I am no expert but don't expect it to be much different than your scores. Am I reading some of that wrong... looks like some of the tests improved?

edit: I got the edge but will still report out.
The Following User Says Thank You to jatipton For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jatipton Ad-Free
14th April 2015, 08:49 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Florida

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatipton

Not bad at all! Looks like I will turn this on when I get mine... I will run the same tests. I ordered the 128GB and I am no expert but don't expect it to be much different than your scores. Am I reading some of that wrong... looks like some of the tests improved?

edit: I got the edge but will still report out.

Yeah I did a bunch more tests and all of them varied slightly, some faster some slower but not by much. Between them all I'd say the results equal out before and after.
The Following User Says Thank You to altimax98 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift altimax98 Ad-Free
14th April 2015, 11:07 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by altimax98

So after having a Nexus 6 and rather liking the perceived security benefits of Encryption and seeing how it all but killed the useability of the device I wanted to know what the impact is of Encryption on the S6.

I couldnt disagree more. The lag was more related to android 5.0 vs 5.1. 5.1 with encryption vs de-encryption has no noticeable difference (and I think most people agree with me). You might see different numbers in synthetic benchmarks but real world=no difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to bob2300nx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bob2300nx Ad-Free
14th April 2015, 11:38 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 181

More
The Browser speed has seemed to have halved once it was encrypted.
That seems like a BIG HIT, and a deterrent to most users.

The other applications seem to have slight delays too, but I think the Browser speed is probably the most important factor right there. I mean, it is used the most often.

I'm not sure why Google backed down from their decision, I commend Apple's stance.
Perhaps Google saw the delays and didn't want to demonstrate lag or something?
15th April 2015, 05:10 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 152

More
Smile
not bad !
15th April 2015, 08:58 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 795

More
Nexus 6 is a disaster.
15th April 2015, 10:36 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Oh cool! Another thing to waste the battery which is already poor!
15th April 2015, 02:37 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Florida

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroCGTI

Oh cool! Another thing to waste the battery which is already poor!

I got the best longevity yesterday after encrypting it since I have had the phone. Now if you are doing a ton of RW with big files or a lot of little ones it could have an impact, but for the normal Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Instagram it worked out perfectly.

I can honestly say there is no discernible impact to battery life.
The Following User Says Thank You to altimax98 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift altimax98 Ad-Free
17th April 2015, 10:08 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 106

Donate to Me
More
I have to encrypt my phone for work and the htc one m8 would take a huge hit however the sgs6 so far has been great and no hick ups like i used to get with the m8.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to xeni For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xeni Ad-Free
5th May 2015, 12:39 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Out of curiosity.. Those that encrypt notice a major decrease in download speeds for 4G LTE and wifi? Also, after encrypting does your wifi hotspot for tethering still work?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)