FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

Does Exynos = no custom ROMs?

644 posts
Thanks Meter: 48

By Aqua1ung, Senior Member on 1st March 2015, 09:19 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Is there any hope for custom ROMs with Exynos chipsets? Or is it that that actually means the death of the custom ROM industry for Samsung phones?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aqua1ung For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Aqua1ung Ad-Free

1st March 2015, 09:21 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
There are some roms for the Note 4 Exynos. So don't give up the hope for the S6.
1st March 2015, 09:55 PM |#3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Verona (Italy)
Thanks Meter: 18,799

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua1ung

Is there any hope for custom ROMs with Exynos chipsets? Or is it that that actually means the death of the custom ROM industry for Samsung phones?

Lol don't believe of what you read on other blog or forum written by users that absolute don't know the truth.

Exynos absolutely doesn't mean the end of custom ROM.
Give a look on S3 (it's exynos) forum. Only in first page there are about 20 Roms and this for 37 pages.
20x37= 740. And this without the original development section. Is that enough for you?

The disadvantage about using Exynos instead of Snapdragon about modding is only one: AOSP ROM (google stock based). This not mean you'll not see any google pure ROM on S6; but means that they will be more unstable and with more bug due to missing source of the CPU. No other. If devs are really "powerful" they could make a better Aosp rom for a Exynos than a Snapdragon device.And for me, buy an S6 to install only Cyanogen or a ROM like that it's a suicide.

A part of this there is no other problem.

Be happy and don't worry about modding ^^
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Albe95 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Albe95 Ad-Free
1st March 2015, 09:57 PM |#4  
Flag Somewhere between silicone and silicon valley.
Thanks Meter: 171

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua1ung

My favorite Android phone was the Note 2 and it was Exynos powered and still has a ton of roms, aosp and stock.

Sent from my A0001 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to kennonk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kennonk Ad-Free
1st March 2015, 10:09 PM |#5  
Flag Delhi
Thanks Meter: 332

More
Yes it's dead end... If you goto Note4 original Dev section... Rayman is still trying to boot cm12....
And me on nexus 5 can run any freaking thing... Had Ubuntu running without bugs a couple of week back.... So HTC one m9 it is
The Following User Says Thank You to rohit25 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rohit25 Ad-Free
1st March 2015, 11:59 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
As a galaxy s4 user (i9500 - Exynos powered) I can tell you that all AOSP roms are a mess. The devs need to work extra hard and there are still plenty of small (and until recently - big) bugs present.
About a few months after purchasing this device I strongly regretted it due to TW lags and inability to change to AOSP roms, and promised myself I will never buy another Exynos powered device.
Hope this answers your question.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jhonys For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jhonys Ad-Free
2nd March 2015, 01:49 AM |#7  
Flag Ontario
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhonys

As a galaxy s4 user (i9500 - Exynos powered) I can tell you that all AOSP roms are a mess. The devs need to work extra hard and there are still plenty of small (and until recently - big) bugs present.
About a few months after purchasing this device I strongly regretted it due to TW lags and inability to change to AOSP roms, and promised myself I will never buy another Exynos powered device.
Hope this answers your question.

Pretty much this.

The Exynos will mean that custom ROMS are very hard to get done right on the S6. The sheer audience base though might make the developers try, but I don't think it's going to get any better than the previous Galaxy S phones.

The only way that is going to change is if Samsung opens up their information around the Exynos or if perhaps we get a Nexus version (kind of like the Nexus S and what it did for the Galaxy S i9000 variants).
The Following User Says Thank You to sauron0101 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sauron0101 Ad-Free
2nd March 2015, 03:06 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Exynos = closed source

closed source = no developer interest

S6 = locked bootloader

Exynos + Locked Bootloader = double whammy

Exynos + Locked Bootloader + small non-removable battery = Disposable device with 2 year max lifespan & low re-sale value
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to droydr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift droydr Ad-Free
2nd March 2015, 04:04 AM |#9  
LBC, CA
Thanks Meter: 85

More
Bugs on custom roms?? really?! thats the excuse? custom roms, specially aosp ones are full of bugs and random reboots here and there, they are by no means perfect. I'm sure the S6 will have dedicated developers just like the exynos S3 does. No worries
2nd March 2015, 07:16 AM |#10  
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 155

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauron0101

Pretty much this.

The Exynos will mean that custom ROMS are very hard to get done right on the S6. The sheer audience base though might make the developers try, but I don't think it's going to get any better than the previous Galaxy S phones.

The only way that is going to change is if Samsung opens up their information around the Exynos or if perhaps we get a Nexus version (kind of like the Nexus S and what it did for the Galaxy S i9000 variants).

Then why you guys buying the S6 and not the snapdragon S5 901F?

This makes no sense, CM support the S4 exynos but not the 901F snapdragon? all because of userbase?
The Following User Says Thank You to chrcol For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chrcol Ad-Free
2nd March 2015, 08:02 AM |#11  
Flag Rotterdam
Thanks Meter: 38

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by allendj81

Bugs on custom roms?? really?! thats the excuse? custom roms, specially aosp ones are full of bugs and random reboots here and there, they are by no means perfect. I'm sure the S6 will have dedicated developers just like the exynos S3 does. No worries

I have a snapdragon powered S4 and I have no random reboots or any bugs with an AOSP rom. So yeah, it does help to have a snapdragon vs an exynos which is still giving developers problems with AOSP roms.
The Following User Says Thank You to MoonRaven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MoonRaven Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)