Flash always lit?

113 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

By sherman8or, Senior Member on 31st March 2015, 05:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th April 2015, 03:30 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 148

More
Okay so my flash is still dimly lit after having the phone powered down for 2 hours...

Really weird.

edit: just called t-mobile. The rep I talked to sounded very suspicious of what I was trying to explain to him as if I was making this up. I hope I am just imagining this stupid dim LED.

He said I'd have to take it into the store to be examined before they would do anything, which is weird considering I ordered it online, and others are claiming to have requested replacements over the phone?

@yaddam205 posted in this androidcentral thread saying samsung knows about this issue and are addressing it in a firmware update. Can anyone else who has spoken to samsung confirm/deny this?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alarand For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Alarand Ad-Free

6th April 2015, 05:56 AM |#22  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag The Wild
Thanks Meter: 1,980

More
Mine also has this. It is extremely dim. Even in a dark room I had to really look for it. Very weird..
The Following User Says Thank You to Towle For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Towle Ad-Free
6th April 2015, 06:06 AM |#23  
Flag Fort Worth, TX
Thanks Meter: 294

More
Happening to me as well,I've mentioned before it's happening as well when the device is powered down. I was going to try and send am email to Samsung support but the S6 is listed on their support site yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to wund3rground For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wund3rground Ad-Free
6th April 2015, 06:20 AM |#24  
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 285

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towle

Mine also has this. It is extremely dim. Even in a dark room I had to really look for it. Very weird..

And this is my issue with this, making it harder to tell if is hardware or software. One of mine the glow is very very hard to see, but it is there (white 64), but the other one is much brighter and takes no effort at all to see (black 64) was even able to get a pic of it in a pitch black room...credit to the S6 low light performance. There was no light source, no window, for that pic. Maybe hard to understand but that is awfully bright and the phone had been powered of for 30 mins.Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1428297580520.jpg
Views:	1752
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	3247654

Sent from my SM-G900T using AllianceR(●)m
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tenxo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tenxo Ad-Free
6th April 2015, 06:32 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 148

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenxo

And this is my issue with this, making it harder to tell if is hardware or software. One of mine the glow is very very hard to see, but it is there (white 64), but the other one is much brighter and takes no effort at all to see (black 64) was even able to get a pic of it in a pitch black room...credit to the S6 low light performance. There was no light source, no window, for that pic. Maybe hard to understand but that is awfully bright and the phone had been powered of for 3Attachment 32476540 mins.

I couldn't get a picture of it! haha. Samsung 'smart tutored' my phone to supposedly attempt to resolve the issue. They loaded the camera app to check the settings and of course I was peering down deep into the flash diode. No doubt whoever was on the other end looking at my camera app got a big laugh gazing at my huge nose.

Then they told me to hold it to a mirror so I derped and aimed at my monitor for like 30 secs cause I misread 'mirror'. Terribly awkward. Then the camera didn't even manage to pick up the dim light so I totally came across as nuts... Probably why I couldn't get any actual helpful info out of the guy. Just told me to take it to tmobile so they can check for a potential hardware defect.

Thanks for the picture though.

Edit: my addition to the tiny s6 pilot light club
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alarand For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Alarand Ad-Free
6th April 2015, 06:33 AM |#26  
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 285

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarand

Okay so my flash is still dimly lit after having the phone powered down for 2 hours...

Really weird.

edit: just called t-mobile. The rep I talked to sounded very suspicious of what I was trying to explain to him as if I was making this up. I hope I am just imagining this stupid dim LED.

He said I'd have to take it into the store to be examined before they would do anything, which is weird considering I ordered it online, and others are claiming to have requested replacements over the phone?

@yaddam205 posted in this androidcentral thread saying samsung knows about this issue and are addressing it in a firmware update. Can anyone who has spoken to samsung confirm/deny this?

@yaddam205
Quote:

Just got off the phone with T-Mo and Samsung. They do know about the issue, and apparently they have a fix already. I have to go to a bestbuy with a Samsung SWAS, and they can update it. I asked about doing it myself, but he said it's not available on Samsung's website yet. I'll head to a BB tomorrow and hopefully walk away with a fix.

Quote:

*Update*

Went to BB to get the update. The samsung bloke did know of the issue, however the software update was not pushed to him yet. He also alerted me to another issue affecting only T-Mobile phones. Apparently 20% of the S6 devices have scratches from the manufacturing plant UNDER the screen. He showed me, and I have two long scratches about 1inch or so underneath the glass. Called T-Mo and they are sending me a replacement.

@Alarand thanks for posting the link to these post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tenxo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tenxo Ad-Free
6th April 2015, 08:41 AM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
I talked to a T-Mobile rep earlier and he confirmed that he has heard of this issue from several other customers already but he didn't give any information about any potential fix for it. I also contacted Samsung technical supported and reported the issue, but the rep was clueless about this problem and had never heard of it. I'm gonna hold onto my phone until a little after the official April 10th release and see if an update comes out to fix it, otherwise I'll have to exchange for a new model.
The Following User Says Thank You to poweroutlet For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift poweroutlet Ad-Free
6th April 2015, 11:33 AM |#28  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenxo

And this is my issue with this, making it harder to tell if is hardware or software. One of mine the glow is very very hard to see, but it is there (white 64), but the other one is much brighter and takes no effort at all to see (black 64) was even able to get a pic of it in a pitch black room...credit to the S6 low light performance. There was no light source, no window, for that pic. Maybe hard to understand but that is awfully bright and the phone had been powered of for 30 mins.Attachment 3247654

Yup, that's what it looks like .. I tried to take a picture with my S3 (my only other phone around) and couldn't get it. I guess I could try my real/regular digital camera.

And for me too, it persisted after I powered it off. As I mentioned in a post upstream, I wish the battery wasn't sealed so I could take it out just to see the light go off once
The Following User Says Thank You to levon9 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift levon9 Ad-Free
6th April 2015, 12:39 PM |#29  
Flag NYC/TAMPA
Thanks Meter: 228

More
So after reading this thread and checking in a dark room I also have the light leak 64 gb s6. But what's this about scratches under the glass?
6th April 2015, 05:50 PM |#30  

More
Wondering if it could be anything to do with this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...tched-off.html

Tiny amount of current leaking, causing the LED flash to glow?
Or tiny current leaking, but only enough for some LED brands to glow? Hopefully not, as then it could be a hardware issue on certain batches?

Just reading all the potential issues before I click the pre order button!
The Following User Says Thank You to hmillhouse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hmillhouse Ad-Free
6th April 2015, 07:24 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmillhouse

Wondering if it could be anything to do with this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...tched-off.html

Tiny amount of current leaking, causing the LED flash to glow?
Or tiny current leaking, but only enough for some LED brands to glow? Hopefully not, as then it could be a hardware issue on certain batches?

Just reading all the potential issues before I click the pre order button!

I am concerned that whatever controls power to that LED is somehow "leaking" for some of us and that is why we have this issue. I'm a little skeptical that Samsung will simply fix this with a firmware update but then again we don't know the actual cause of the issue so I guess anything is possible.

I think at this point it can still go either way, it might be a SW or HW issue. Hopefully Samsung gets that update out soon.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)