microSD reader that works with an S7?

Search This thread

wkearney99

Dec 19, 2007
Bethesda, MD
Anyone found a compact microSD card reader that will work with an S7? I've got this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6ICDGX

But the S7 complains it draws too much power. Specifically it states:
Code:
High-power USB device connected
Cannot access to this device.  Connected device needs external power supply.

I can use it with other Android devices without any problems. Specifically a Nexus 7 tablet.

I don't have to use this specific reader, anything would be fine. I'm just after something compact that will also work while the S7 has a case on it. Lots of readers have too much case around them and won't fit into the Neo Spigen case I have on it.

I've used the Samsung micro-to-USB OTG adapter with several garden-variety USB readers and those work with no power warnings. No doubt those consume more power than this.

Anyone found a compact microSD reader that works with an S7 in a case?

PGHammer

Jul 10, 2015
Accokeek,MD
Anyone found a compact microSD card reader that will work with an S7? I've got this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6ICDGX

But the S7 complains it draws too much power. Specifically it states:
Code:
High-power USB device connected
Cannot access to this device.  Connected device needs external power supply.

I can use it with other Android devices without any problems. Specifically a Nexus 7 tablet.

I don't have to use this specific reader, anything would be fine. I'm just after something compact that will also work while the S7 has a case on it. Lots of readers have too much case around them and won't fit into the Neo Spigen case I have on it.

I've used the Samsung micro-to-USB OTG adapter with several garden-variety USB readers and those work with no power warnings. No doubt those consume more power than this.

Anyone found a compact microSD reader that works with an S7 in a case?
I use the designed-in SD card reader that is standard with several models of HP Pavilion notebook (the SanDisk microSD card-carrier will also work with the same Pavilion notebook models - the carrier is bundled with Sandisk microSD media typically of 32GTB and larger) I use the same-size microSD cards (SanDisk 32GB) in everything that takes microSD - the two notebooks, my Lenovo tablet, and my newest acquisition - a Samsung Galaxy S7; my GNex does not take microSD cards at all).

wkearney99

Dec 19, 2007
Bethesda, MD
I use the designed-in SD card reader that is standard with several models of HP Pavilion notebook (the SanDisk microSD card-carrier will also work with the same Pavilion notebook models - the carrier is bundled with Sandisk microSD media typically of 32GTB and larger) I use the same-size microSD cards (SanDisk 32GB) in everything that takes microSD - the two notebooks, my Lenovo tablet, and my newest acquisition - a Samsung Galaxy S7; my GNex does not take microSD cards at all).

Which doesn't answer my question. I'm not asking what will read microSD cards. I'm asking what reader will work when PLUGGED INTO THE S7 . Big Difference.

I've found another device that works, the GoPro keychain microSD reader.
https://shop.gopro.com/accessories-2/quik-key-micro-usb-mobile-microsd-card-reader/AMCRU-001.html

thegreatkazoo

Feb 4, 2014
OKC

wkearney99

Dec 19, 2007
Bethesda, MD
Your wanting to use the micro sd slot on the phone for an access point?

No, why would you ask that?

I want a way to read/write microSD cards using the S7 phone. As in, copy files to/from microSD cards. For situations like travel and wanting to upload a file that's on a microSD from a camera, one that may not have a means to connect via USB directly to a device. Seemed like a pretty simple question that wouldn't have anything to do with an "access point".

G

GuestK0087

Thread cleaned.

Let's try to remain civil please.

Insults can lead to infractions.

:good:

The Merovingian
Senior Moderator

PGHammer

Jul 10, 2015
Accokeek,MD
Which doesn't answer my question. I'm not asking what will read microSD cards. I'm asking what reader will work when PLUGGED INTO THE S7 . Big Difference.

I've found another device that works, the GoPro keychain microSD reader.
https://shop.gopro.com/accessories-2/quik-key-micro-usb-mobile-microsd-card-reader/AMCRU-001.html

There is a microSD reader built into the phone - it is all-internal (the nano-SIM carrier is also a microSD carrier; the microSD mounts underneath the nano-SIM). There is an accessory that you can purchase that opens the nano-SIM/microSD carrier - or you can bend a staple to open the drawer.

wkearney99

Dec 19, 2007
Bethesda, MD
There is a microSD reader built into the phone - it is all-internal (the nano-SIM carrier is also a microSD carrier; the microSD mounts underneath the nano-SIM). There is an accessory that you can purchase that opens the nano-SIM/microSD carrier - or you can bend a staple to open the drawer.

There is indeed a card reader in the phone. One that will very likely already be occupied by a memory card. One that would be used during the process of transferring media files to/from standalone microSD cards.

That and constant use of the internal microSD slot is probably a bad plan. I'm not thinking they expect it to be used for swapping cards all the time. Seems a lot smarter to use one of the external ones I've already mentioned above. So, yeah, there's that...

PGHammer

Jul 10, 2015
Accokeek,MD
NO Disputing that - However...

There is indeed a card reader in the phone. One that will very likely already be occupied by a memory card. One that would be used during the process of transferring media files to/from standalone microSD cards.

That and constant use of the internal microSD slot is probably a bad plan. I'm not thinking they expect it to be used for swapping cards all the time. Seems a lot smarter to use one of the external ones I've already mentioned above. So, yeah, there's that...

That is true of ANY device that takes microSD - it's not a unique dilemma. (In addition to my tablet, S7, and two of my three notebooks - both of which are HP Pavilions.) That has to do with the microSD format itself - it's NOT designed to be a "plug-repeatedly" format - the larger 64GB and above sizes that the S5 and later phones and tablets can swallow only make that more and more obvious. That is why I use the cloud - not microSD - to share common files among my hardware - and with cloud services such as Microsoft OneDrive being both OS-neutral and rather capacious - and especially with devices that don't support microSD at all - such as my GNex - they aren't left out. That is the rather amusing aspect about OneDrive - as long as I have Internet access and a compatible OS (which is every OS except a Linux distribution, a UNIX, or a BSD) I can get to my shared files anywhere - on the planet. (Even on a plane with wi-fi-based Internet access - such as Southwest - and I'm not kidding; I have, in fact, done so.) MicroSD is for files too LARGE for the cloud - or that will stored ONLY on a specific device - that is especially true of the 64GB and larger microSD cards, as they are only compatible with specific devices; while I can use such a microSD with the S7, it's size-incompatible with anything else. Otherwise, I use the cloud - and OneDrive in particular - it's compatible with all my hardware.

wkearney99

Dec 19, 2007
Bethesda, MD
Right, so beyond going on about a question I didn't ask, your point?

I've traveled to many places where data services are either unavailable at all, or considerably more expensive than here in the US. That and wanting to avoid lugging along larger format media makes using microSD cards pretty convenient. Having an external microSD (or any other media card format) reader opens up another avenue for managing media.

As for online services, look no further than Photobucket's recent extortion fiasco to understand why depending on such service is not necessarily as glorious as you might expect.

Again, I asked about readers that'd work in the USB socket of the S7. And got a whole lot of entirely unrelated information instead of on-point replies. But after doing a lot of my own research elsewhere, and the purchasing of several bits of hardware, I came back and posted the results. Yet this invites still more unrelated replies. Please folks, I'm sure you think you mean well but a bit more on-topic focus would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: wantagewill

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Right, so beyond going on about a question I didn't ask, your point?

I've traveled to many places where data services are either unavailable at all, or considerably more expensive than here in the US. That and wanting to avoid lugging along larger format media makes using microSD cards pretty convenient. Having an external microSD (or any other media card format) reader opens up another avenue for managing media.

As for online services, look no further than Photobucket's recent extortion fiasco to understand why depending on such service is not necessarily as glorious as you might expect.

Again, I asked about readers that'd work in the USB socket of the S7. And got a whole lot of entirely unrelated information instead of on-point replies. But after doing a lot of my own research elsewhere, and the purchasing of several bits of hardware, I came back and posted the results. Yet this invites still more unrelated replies. Please folks, I'm sure you think you mean well but a bit more on-topic focus would be greatly appreciated.