FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Nougat WhatsApp bug

68 posts
Thanks Meter: 13
 
By andyle2k, Member on 8th February 2017, 06:22 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

I'm experiencing a really annoying bug on Nougat with WhatsApp, wondering if anyone else is having it.

When you go to take a photo directly from WhatsApp and try to add a caption to that photo the caption bar goes missing. You can still type but you just won't be able to see what you're typing.

However, if you attach an existing photo and add a caption, the caption bar is there, even if you attach the same image you took a photo with earlier!

I've tried this on stock ROM as well as most custom ROMs and the problem is still there. I've even tested it on an old S5 running Lineage and the problem is there so it's not a problem with just S7. I've also tried multiple different keyboards and it all happens. Tried beta WhatsApp and it also still happens.

This is a screenshot of me using the WhatsApp camera to take a photo. As you can see the caption text input bar is missing.


Here's a screenshot of me attaching that photo and the caption text input bar is visible.



Wondering if anyone else can verify that this is just me or it happens to others as well and if there's a solution out there.

Thank you very much.
The Following User Says Thank You to andyle2k For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift andyle2k Ad-Free
 
 
8th February 2017, 09:13 AM |#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
the same to me!
20th February 2017, 04:48 PM |#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
got the same issue on S5 with lineageOS
20th February 2017, 05:18 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 41
 
More
i have this issue in whats app also in titanium backup when u type in the top bar u cant see the letters because its like a grey font anyone see that aswell

rom : superman 2.1 , just so everyone knows thats a 7.X base
21st February 2017, 06:40 AM |#5  
thundastruck's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
More
Yep. Same here. Obviously a bug. But with Whatsapp or with Nougat I wonder? Hopefully it's Whatsapp and they can provide an update soon.
21st February 2017, 08:34 PM |#6  
thundastruck's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundastruck

Yep. Same here. Obviously a bug. But with Whatsapp or with Nougat I wonder? Hopefully it's Whatsapp and they can provide an update soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyle2k

Hi,

I'm experiencing a really annoying bug on Nougat with WhatsApp, wondering if anyone else is having it.

When you go to take a photo directly from WhatsApp and try to add a caption to that photo the caption bar goes missing. You can still type but you just won't be able to see what you're typing.

However, if you attach an existing photo and add a caption, the caption bar is there, even if you attach the same image you took a photo with earlier!

I've tried this on stock ROM as well as most custom ROMs and the problem is still there. I've even tested it on an old S5 running Lineage and the problem is there so it's not a problem with just S7. I've also tried multiple different keyboards and it all happens. Tried beta WhatsApp and it also still happens.

This is a screenshot of me using the WhatsApp camera to take a photo. As you can see the caption text input bar is missing.



Here's a screenshot of me attaching that photo and the caption text input bar is visible.



Wondering if anyone else can verify that this is just me or it happens to others as well and if there's a solution out there.

Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpi

the same to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Benschi

got the same issue on S5 with lineageOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio1b

i have this issue in whats app also in titanium backup when u type in the top bar u cant see the letters because its like a grey font anyone see that aswell

rom : superman 2.1 , just so everyone knows thats a 7.X base

Upgraded firmware using G930FXXU1DQB7_G930FOJV1DQB7_TUR and now fixed!

It was a firmware bug, and not Whatsapp
The Following User Says Thank You to thundastruck For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thundastruck Ad-Free
22nd February 2017, 04:14 AM |#7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundastruck

Upgraded firmware using G930FXXU1DQB7_G930FOJV1DQB7_TUR and now fixed!

It was a firmware bug, and not Whatsapp

Actually, WhatsApp has confirmed to me that this is a bug. Attached is a screenshot of an email they sent me.



The latest beta APK has fixed this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-22_151305.png
Views:	144
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	4050160  
22nd February 2017, 07:03 AM |#8  
thundastruck's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyle2k

Actually, WhatsApp has confirmed to me that this is a bug. Attached is a screenshot of an email they sent me.



The latest beta APK has fixed this.

Hi OP!

I couldn't find any evidence to support you're claim so if what you're saying is true please provide some tangible proof of your statement otherwise I'm just going to assume you're being a smart@ss Yeah?
An official changelog from whichever Whatsapp APK you're using that states the issue has been fixed may be informative and redeem your statement.
I couldn't find any evidence (regarding your attachment) where Whatsapp ACTUALLY acknowledges a bug on their behalves. They simply acknowledge that you are having an issue while using their app. Go read your attachment again - this time slowly and concentrate REAL hard when your'e doing so lol

FYI - I was using Whatsapp 2.17.65 on firmware G930FXXU1DQAS while experiencing this issue. After upgrading to G930FXXU1DQB7 the issue magically <insert sarcasm> disappeared and I was still using Whatsapp 2.17.65.

Ergo, the logical conclusion here is that the firmware was buggy (very likely because it's Nougat 7.0) and not Whatsapp. Hardly rocket science to assume this eh?

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyle2k

Actually, WhatsApp has confirmed to me that this is a bug. Attached is a screenshot of an email they sent me.



The latest beta APK has fixed this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundastruck

Hi OP!

I couldn't find any evidence to support you're claim so if what you're saying is true please provide some tangible proof of your statement otherwise I'm just going to assume you're being a smart@ss Yeah?
An official changelog from whichever Whatsapp APK you're using that states the issue has been fixed may be informative and redeem your statement.
I couldn't find any evidence (regarding your attachment) where Whatsapp ACTUALLY acknowledges a bug on their behalves. They simply acknowledge that you are having an issue while using their app. Go read your attachment again - this time slowly and concentrate REAL hard when your'e doing so lol

FYI - I was using Whatsapp 2.17.65 on firmware G930FXXU1DQAS while experiencing this issue. After upgrading to G930FXXU1DQB7 the issue magically <insert sarcasm> disappeared and I was still using Whatsapp 2.17.65.

Ergo, the logical conclusion here is that the firmware was buggy (very likely because it's Nougat 7.0) and not Whatsapp. Hardly rocket science to assume this eh?

You also never bothered to publish "your" answer to your own question which YOU initiated. That is evident judging by the date that Whattsapp Support answered your email in your attachment. Go figure
22nd February 2017, 07:23 AM |#9  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundastruck

Hi OP!

I couldn't find any evidence to support you're claim so if what you're saying is true please provide some tangible proof of your statement otherwise I'm just going to assume you're being a smart@ss Yeah?
An official changelog from whichever Whatsapp APK you're using that states the issue has been fixed may be informative and redeem your statement.
I couldn't find any evidence (regarding your attachment) where Whatsapp ACTUALLY acknowledges a bug on their behalves. They simply acknowledge that you are having an issue while using their app. Go read your attachment again - this time slowly and concentrate REAL hard when your'e doing so lol

FYI - I was using Whatsapp 2.17.65 on firmware G930FXXU1DQAS while experiencing this issue. After upgrading to G930FXXU1DQB7 the issue magically <insert sarcasm> disappeared and I was still using Whatsapp 2.17.65.

Ergo, the logical conclusion here is that the firmware was buggy (very likely because it's Nougat 7.0) and not Whatsapp. Hardly rocket science to assume this eh?

Hi thundastruck,

My apologies if you mistook my previous post as some sort of attack towards you, I assure you that it is not my intentions at all. I don’t think it warranted such a negative and incendiary response from you.

I’m simply relaying what information I have to hopefully help others and I fully acknowledge that you are trying to help others as well for which I appreciate.

I know my English isn’t great (I sometimes misspell your and you’re as well) so from this line I received from them “We are aware of the issue and we are working on fixing it in a future update of WhatsApp.” I gathered that they are acknowledging the issue exists and even mentioned that they are working on a fix on their end. Granted you may interpret that in another way.

I too am running 1DQB7 (as attached) and the problem persisted for me until the most recent WhatsApp beta update. I am currently on version 2.17.74 of WhatsApp (also attached). Which is where I derived my logical conclusion. Now I fully am open to the possibility of it being something else entirely as you and I have different results. I'm in the process of trying to screen capture my phone to upload a video of how it works on one version and not the other and I will provide that as evidence to you soon.

As for why it took me a while to update this post is because I don’t actively check it until I receive notification that I have been quoted.

Once again, I am deeply sorry if I offended you.

Edit:

As I mentioned above, I managed to screen capture both instances of WhatsApp. One on 2.17.65 where the caption bar is missing when capturing a photo directly from WhatsApp and also on beta version 2.17.74 where the caption bar is working.

Not working: https://youtu.be/I4lAjEPnmTc
Working: https://youtu.be/kR2fPrDdLFA

I'm not saying this is the fix as you clearly have other ideas but it fixed it for my case and I hope you can see where I drew my conclusions from based on the information I've seen.
1) The wording of the support email from WhatsApp saying they "are aware of the issue and are working on a fix"
2) I'm also on firmware 1DQAS and others have also expressed the same bug on different firmware and even on different ROMS such as Lineage (7.1.1)
3) When on version 2.17.65 of WhatsApp the problem persists but on version 2.17.74 the problem is gone

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170222-180604.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	4050312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170222-180655.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	4050313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170222-180736.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	4050314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170222-180801.png
Views:	36
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	4050315  
22nd February 2017, 08:10 AM |#10  
thundastruck's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyle2k

Hi thundastruck,

My apologies if you mistook my previous post as some sort of attack towards you, I assure you that it is not my intentions at all. I don’t think such it warranted such a negative and incendiary response from you.

I’m simply relaying what information I have to hopefully help others and I fully acknowledge that you are trying to help others as well for which I appreciate.

I know my English isn’t great (I sometimes misspell your and you’re as well) so from this line I received from them “We are aware of the issue and we are working on fixing it in a future update of WhatsApp.” I gathered that they are acknowledging the issue exists and even mentioned that they are working on a fix on their end. Granted you may interpret that in another way.

I too am running 1DQB7 (as attached) and the problem persisted for me until the most recent WhatsApp beta update. I am currently on version 2.17.74 of WhatsApp (also attached). Which is where I derived my logical conclusion. Now I fully am open to the possibility of it being something else entirely as you and I have different results. I'm in the process of trying to screen capture my phone to upload a video of how it works on one version and not the other and I will provide that as evidence to you soon.

As for why it took me a while to update this post is because I don’t actively check it until I receive notification that I have been quoted.

Once again, I am deeply sorry if I offended you.

Edit:

As I mentioned above, I managed to screen capture both instances of WhatsApp. One on 2.17.65 where the caption bar is missing when capturing a photo directly from WhatsApp and also on beta version 2.17.74 where the caption bar is working.

Not working: https://youtu.be/I4lAjEPnmTc
Working: https://youtu.be/kR2fPrDdLFA

I'm not saying this is the fix as you clearly have other ideas but it fixed it for my case and I hope you can see where I drew my conclusions from based on the information I've seen.
1) The wording of the support email from WhatsApp saying they "are aware of the issue and are working on a fix"
2) I'm also on firmware 1DQAS
3) When on version 2.17.65 of WhatsApp the problem persists but on version 2.17.74 the problem is gone

Thank you.

Your argument invalidated mine which warranted my response. Please see my attachments.

Btw it look's like your phone has been "modified" judging by the appearance of "superkernel" in your screenshot? If so you should make mention of that. Please note my handset is in vanilla state and running official samsung software, not rooted nor any roms. Been there, done that

Have a pleasant day. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170222-094459.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	4050336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170222-094545.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	4050337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170222-094651.png
Views:	32
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	4050338  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes