Samsung S7 not receiving updates

Search This thread

alediaferia

Oct 20, 2009
Hi guys, I bought a Vodafone-branded unlocked S7 here in Ireland.
Never used it with Vodafone and I've never received any updates for it.

OTA, Smart switch and Updato they all say my device is up to date but I can see there are more recent firmwares for my CSC.

Here are my details:
PDA: G930FXXU1DQEI
CSC Version: G930FVFG1DQE3
BASEBAND Version: G930FXXU1BPJJ

CSC Code: VDI

Am I missing something or is it possible that under VDI there are more update channels and my phone is not supposed to receive the other updates?
It's working fine and everything, I'm only concerned about security patches to be honest.

Hope you can give me a hint.
Cheers guys.

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
Boot into download mode and double check it is definitely the G930F

If it is, then just flash the latest firmware with ODIN 3.12.3 or newer

Reactions: alediaferia

alediaferia

Oct 20, 2009
If the device is showing as "Custom" system status it won't OTA

Otherwise no idea, and yes just use HOME_CSC, it'll update it as if you got an OTA

Thanks for your help. I guess I'll end up flashing the firmware manually. System status is showing as original BTW.

Any chance I might have screwed up accidentally denying an update once and losing the "updateability" of my device forever? Although it's weird Updato is detecting my device as up-to-date too. This story is really weird to me.

Thanks again anyway!

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
Thanks for your help. I guess I'll end up flashing the firmware manually. System status is showing as original BTW.

Any chance I might have screwed up accidentally denying an update once and losing the "updateability" of my device forever? Although it's weird Updato is detecting my device as up-to-date too. This story is really weird to me.

Thanks again anyway!

Actually it's usually the other way around, people trying to deny the updates and asking for help to permanently disable them, so it's unlikely you broke it

Possibly just a bug of some sort, or the firmware you think you are on is not the actual firmware?

What security patch does it state in settings > about > software info > scroll to bottom

The updato app is getting extremely bad reviews lately so I wouldn't trust that anyway

A lot of people update manually, this isn't the first case I've seen with your problem either so I wouldn't worry too much, just flash it yourself

alediaferia

Oct 20, 2009
Actually it's usually the other way around, people trying to deny the updates and asking for help to permanently disable them, so it's unlikely you broke it

Possibly just a bug of some sort, or the firmware you think you are on is not the actual firmware?

What security patch does it state in settings > about > software info > scroll to bottom

The updato app is getting extremely bad reviews lately so I wouldn't trust that anyway

A lot of people update manually, this isn't the first case I've seen with your problem either so I wouldn't worry too much, just flash it yourself

Security patch level is May 2017.
The firmware the phone says I'm on in the software update section reconciles with what Phone INFO detects which is the firmware released for VDI the 2017-06-11 on sammobile.

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
The firmware the phone says I'm on in the software update section reconciles with what Phone INFO detects which is the firmware released for VDI the 2017-06-11 on sammobile.

Yea definitely a strange one, should be seeing an update

Could be anything though, some change within the OS that's not reporting something to the update servers correctly

The flash should fix it, if not, backup and factory reset for the next OTA, or just keep flashing manually

Reactions: alediaferia

alediaferia

Oct 20, 2009

Could be anything though, some change within the OS that's not reporting something to the update servers correctly

The flash should fix it, if not, backup and factory reset for the next OTA, or just keep flashing manually

Sorry for going back to this. I just want to clarify another doubt I have. My phone is Vodafone-branded but I've always used it with another carrier. Is this affecting my ability to receive either OTA or updates at all using smart switch ?

Thanks!

Aashish.007

Jul 23, 2013
Sorry for going back to this. I just want to clarify another doubt I have. My phone is Vodafone-branded but I've always used it with another carrier. Is this affecting my ability to receive either OTA or updates at all using smart switch ?

Thanks!

You can test this by borrowing a Vodafone sim.
Or better just backup and flash an unlocked stock Rom to your device.

Aashish.007

Jul 23, 2013
Hi, I'm finding it hard to get someone with a Vodafone sim. Anyway, do I risk anything flashing an unbranded firmware? Knox tripping, custom status showing up or other not-so-nice things ?

I guess if the boot loader is unlocked then you're good to go.

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Hi, I'm finding it hard to get someone with a Vodafone sim. Anyway, do I risk anything flashing an unbranded firmware? Knox tripping, custom status showing up or other not-so-nice things ?

And Stock firmware won't trip Knox.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Boot into download mode and double check it is definitely the G930F

If it is, then just flash the latest firmware with ODIN 3.12.3 or newer
    It is definitely G930F. Would I be safe using HOME_CSC in order not to lose any data?

Also would you have any idea on why this is happening?

Thanks!

If the device is showing as "Custom" system status it won't OTA

Otherwise no idea, and yes just use HOME_CSC, it'll update it as if you got an OTA