FINALLY! A single hardware variant for all US carriers.

Search This thread

sadboyzz

Oct 10, 2013
I think OP was referring to this image. Notice the middle model.

Well, as another poster pointed that model doesn't have VoLTE.

But I think what the OP meant was that even though Samsung still advertise them as different models, the underlying hardware is in fact exactly same (e.g. to save production costs), and the difference is entirely tweakable in software, thus rendering this graph moot.

jal3223

Mar 14, 2009
Google Pixel XL
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Could you link to a source for this chart? The lack of LTE band 17 in the AT&T model is a glaring omission to me. I'd like to confirm the models and bands are correct.

Sorry, I can't remember exactly who posted it. I believe it was Droid Life though.

But I think what the OP meant was that even though Samsung still advertise them as different models, the underlying hardware is in fact exactly same (e.g. to save production costs), and the difference is entirely tweakable in software, thus rendering this graph moot.

I haven't heard this anywhere. It would be awesome if true though. Where did you see that all of the models have the same hardware/radios?

the Doctor

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 15, 2011
In the TARDIS
I haven't heard this anywhere. It would be awesome if true though. Where did you see that all of the models have the same hardware/radios?
I think the claim is based on the single FCC ID for all of the variants, despite the fact that some models have CDMA while others don't and all of them have different LTE bands. With the S6, each variant had its own corresponding FCC ID.

We'll see if this pipe dream comes true when devices start shipping. I wouldn't get my hopes up, though.

Reactions: jal3223

jal3223

Mar 14, 2009
Google Pixel XL
Samsung Galaxy S8+
I think the claim is based on the single FCC ID for all of the variants, despite the fact that some models have CDMA while others don't and all of them have different LTE bands. With the S6, each variant had its own corresponding FCC ID.

We'll see if this pipe dream comes true when devices start shipping. I wouldn't get my hopes up, though.

I really hope that this is the case. It would be a huge step in the right direction for Samsung if so.

relax24

I'm looking to buy the US variant for use in the uk with an o2 uk sim card. The o2 bands are as follows:

GSM - 900mhz
WCDMA/UTMS 3g - 2100mhz (band 1) 1800mhz (band 3)
LTE 4g - 800mhz (band 20) 1800mhz (band 3)

I'm so confused between all the US variants. Which one would I need to buy to have an unlocked phone that I could use with my uk sim card?

myphone12345

Jan 12, 2008
Could you link to a source for this chart? The lack of LTE band 17 in the AT&T model is a glaring omission to me. I'd like to confirm the models and bands are correct.

Band 17 is not needed anymore. AT&T is broadcasting band 12 MFBI throughout their network now.

That's exactly what I meant and it appears to be what Samsung has done. How hard/easy/impossible will it be to make one of these devices be re-adopted to another carrier by a determined user ;) is yet to be seen though.

Reactions: Goodbye_Alltel

Nextstep

Nov 6, 2007
What version of Galaxy S7 can I get that would give me the most band support.

I need it for use on prepaid carriers (all of them in USA CDMA and GSM)

Also for world travel.

Maybe Verizon model or AT&T has more band support, thanks.

LoSt180

Dec 21, 2011
I'm considering purchasing a T-mobile version since those seem to be more root/rom friendly. I would be using it on AT&T.

I've noticed the LTE bands list on both websites are slightly different, with AT&T variant supporting several more LTE bands than T-mobile. Would this mean the t-mobile variant wouldn't work as well on the AT&T network? Even if the underlying hardware is the same, I'm assuming the AT&T one would need to be rooted in order to pull the modem file out.

AT&T bands (G930A):
4G-LTE Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 29, 30, 38, 39, 40, and 41

T-Mobile bands (G930T):
LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 20

These are even more than what's listed in the graph on post #19.

Reactions: chodaboy19

jal3223

Mar 14, 2009
Google Pixel XL
Samsung Galaxy S8+

dino-zor

Aug 22, 2015
This bit of news may just confirm the premise of the OP, but is also bad for those hoping to use one US device on multiple carriers. In a nutshell, the device gets locked to the carrier when the first SIM card is inserted and the device set up:

http://m.gsmarena.com/galaxy_s7_and...cks_to_the_first_inserted_sim_-news-16902.php

well, per the FCC, carriers can't keep your device locked... so it still should be relatively simple to take the SIM out, unlock, and put a new SIM in

damastah

Jun 29, 2009
Desert Hot Springs
Is it really expected to be that easy to use a T-Mobile S7 on Verizon? T-Mobile leaves them unlocked so you can flash Verizon radios and are good to go?
No, the imei will have to be whitelisted in Verizons system. Basically, Verizon does not allow devices with IMEIs from other companies with the exception of iPhones and Nexus phones. So it might be compatible, but it won't be as easy.

myphone12345

Jan 12, 2008
This bit of news may just confirm the premise of the OP, but is also bad for those hoping to use one US device on multiple carriers. In a nutshell, the device gets locked to the carrier when the first SIM card is inserted and the device set up:

http://m.gsmarena.com/galaxy_s7_and...cks_to_the_first_inserted_sim_-news-16902.php

I suspect that this particular feature is probably aimed at smaller operators overseas, who purchase devices in much smaller quantities than the big four US carriers. The US carriers' devices however will likely come packaged and with firmware made specifically for them out of the box. There are a lot of carriers overseas with subscribers in the below one-million to a few millions range. The smallest national carrier in the US on the other hand has about 60 million subscribers and you can expect them to get "special treatment" from Samsung.

This said, this does not detract from the fact that all all US carriers' models this year will be identical from a hardware perspective, with differences only in software/firmware. Doing this should save Samsung money while making it easier for them to adjust to demand for devices from the different carriers.

What has truly facilitated this change has been advances in radio and antenna components over the past few years which have allowed phone makers to stuff support for so many bands and technologies in a single device. This wasn't such a big problem overseas since frequncy and technology standardization is commonplace over there, but in the US, the plethora of different (and sometimes unique) frequencies and the two different broadcast technologies (GSM and CDMA) employed by the different carriers cause serious headaches for phone makers. Xiaomi for example has cited this issue as the number one reason they have stayed away from the US market.

well, per the FCC, carriers can't keep your device locked... so it still should be relatively simple to take the SIM out, unlock, and put a new SIM in

See my note above. This will likely not apply to devices sold directly by the big 4 US carriers.

Last edited:

zcubed

Aug 14, 2011
I'm considering purchasing a T-mobile version since those seem to be more root/rom friendly. I would be using it on AT&T.

I've noticed the LTE bands list on both websites are slightly different, with AT&T variant supporting several more LTE bands than T-mobile. Would this mean the t-mobile variant wouldn't work as well on the AT&T network? Even if the underlying hardware is the same, I'm assuming the AT&T one would need to be rooted in order to pull the modem file out.

AT&T bands (G930A):
4G-LTE Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 20, 29, 30, 38, 39, 40, and 41

T-Mobile bands (G930T):
LTE: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 20

These are even more than what's listed in the graph on post #19.

The 930T has 38-41 per this link: https://support.t-mobile.com/community/phones-tablets-devices/android/samsung_galaxy_s_7#id_1299991
It is only missing 29 and 30 which are not used anywhere yet (Though AT&T is planning to roll out support eventually) according to Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Looking at the FCC docs for what appears to be the S7, it seems like Samsung will finally make just a single hardware variant for the US, FCC ID A3LSMG935US, with the different carrier models' features and bands being enabled/disabled solely in software or firmware.

Assuming this observation is correct, this will mark a sea change in Samsung's approach which in the past meant creating a plethora of hardware variants for the US market.

This may also mean that at some point we might see an unlocked model with broad support for multiple US carriers.

I suspect that this particular feature is probably aimed at smaller operators overseas, who purchase devices in much smaller quantities than the big four US carriers. The US carriers' devices however will likely come packaged and with firmware made specifically for them out of the box. There are a lot of carriers overseas with subscribers in the below one-million to a few millions range. The smallest national carrier in the US on the other hand has about 60 million subscribers and you can expect them to get "special treatment" from Samsung.

This said, this does not detract from the fact that all all US carriers' models this year will be identical from a hardware perspective, with differences only in software/firmware. Doing this should save Samsung money while making it easier for them to adjust to demand for devices from the different carriers.

What has truly facilitated this change has been advances in radio and antenna components over the past few years which have allowed phone makers to stuff support for so many bands and technologies in a single device. This wasn't such a big problem overseas since frequncy and technology standardization is commonplace over there, but in the US, the plethora of different (and sometimes unique) frequencies and the two different broadcast technologies (GSM and CDMA) employed by the different carriers cause serious headaches for phone makers. Xiaomi for example has cited this issue as the number one reason they have stayed away from the US market.

See my note above. This will likely not apply to devices sold directly by the big 4 US carriers.
    I was watching a tear-down video by JerryRigEverything. The device was clearly a T-Mobile S7, but the motherboard is labeled SM-G930V/P/R4/A/T. So they all at least have the same motherboard, which may not be all that unusual.
    attachment.php
    Probably true but since most of us will have to buy the phone outright now due to no carrier subsidies, couldn't we just buy a T-Mobile version and active whatever bands are needed for lets say Verizon? I have always heard that T-Mobile phones are easier to deal with as far as a Sammy BL goes. I may be way off on my thinking but it was my thought as this was a way around Verizon and AT&T locking down the equipment that we own.

correct both US and canadian users already do this, you can either hex edit the modem or just flash a modem that carries the support already as many users have done.
    I'm more interested in the other direction, T-Mobile S7 Edge on Verizon. If that's doable, that would be nice.
    I really hope so. In the past only the Verizon model could work on Verizon, but I think it's about time Samsung changes this and follows the route of the Nexus, iPhone, and Moto direction of one phone that works on all carriers.