FORUMS

[GUIDE] How to change DPI with or without root

2,223 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,036

Post Reply Email Thread
This will work for the S7 and S7 Edge. In fact it will work for all Android Devices on Jellybean and higher.

This will NOT trip Knox.

You can change DPI without root but will need to use adb on a computer.

As some of you may be aware, changing dpi in build.prop does not work, therefore I have also now included a method to change DPI with root, without the need of a computer. Scroll down to see how to do this.

Since the April update, Samsung have included a menu in the settings screen which allows you to change between 'Standard' (640 DPI) and 'Condensed' (560 DPI). If you have not had this update, you can still access this menu using this app.
(AT&T users have confirmed that this menu is not available in the display menu but still available via the the app route.)

If you would like a different DPI other than 640 or 560, please follow the instructions below:

Change DPI without root (Requires Computer):

To do this, follow the steps below.

1. The first thing you need to do is to install adb. The quickest way to do this is using the adb installer. You can download it from Here. If you follow the steps correctly in that thread, you should have no issues installing adb.
  2. Now you will need to enable USB Debugging. [If you have 'My Knox' installed, you will not be able to do this so you will need to uninstall 'My Knox' First otherwise USB debuggin will be greyed out.]. Go into Settings > About Device > Software Info and keep tapping Build Number until Developer Options is enabled. Then go back into the Settings screen and go into Developer Options (located just above 'About Device'). You should see USB Debugging, turn the slider to on.
  3. Connect your S7E to your computer. You will see a notification asking for you to Allow USB degugging for that computer, select 'OK'.
  4. Now open Command Prompt (CMD) on your computer. (If you're not sure how to do this, Click Here to find out how).
  5. First thing to check is if adb can detect the device, so type the following command in CMD and press enter...

Code:
    adb devices
  6. If this command shows the device (a line of random letters and numbers), then it has successfully detected your device. If nothing shows, then it cannot detect the device and you have either not enabled USB debugging, not allowed USB Debugging for this computer (as per the prompt when plugging it in)or the drivers have not been installed. (Most recent Windows will automatically install the Drivers, but if you are having Driver issues, then install Kies, connect the device to Kies to allow the drivers to install, then remove device from the computer, disable Kies then start again from Step 3).
  7. If the device is detected in adb, go ahead and enter the following command to change your DPI. 560 is the most commen used but you can change this to anything you like (I find 520 to be the best).

Code:
    adb shell wm density 560 && adb reboot
  8. Your S7E should now reboot and the new DPI will be applied. To confirm this, install DPI Checker from the Play store. The prop file will still show the default DPI of 640 so ignore this.

If you want to revert back to the default DPI, enter the following command:

Code:
adb shell wm density 640 && adb reboot

Change DPI with root (No computer required):

1. Download a Terminal app (such as this one) and open the app.
2: Type the following:
Code:
su
Then tap enter. This will prompt root permission, make sure you allow permission

Code:
wm density 560 && reboot
Change 560 to your prefered DPI.

Then tap enter.

3. Your phone will reboot and when booted it will have the new set DPI.
4. To change back to stock DPI, use the following in Terminal:
Code:
wm density 640 && reboot
FAQ:

Will this affect Samsung Pay?
No. But I recommend you make sure the initial Samsung Pay set up is complete before changing DPI as some people have reported that the initial set up does not work after changing DPI. After that it works fine.

Will this affect Android Pay?
Yes. You will not be able to use Android Pay after changing DPI

Will this affect the scaling of Samsung apps?
The camera shifts slightly to the left.
Using the stock wallpaper will leave a blue gap at the bottom of the lock/home screen.
The Edge screen will have a small gap at the bottom.
Other than this, I have not noticed any other scaling issues (see screenshots below).

Screenshots:

If you have any issues or questions feel free to ask me and I will be happy to help.

If you notice any mistakes or know any ways this can be improved, please let me know and I will update the guide.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to CuBz90 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CuBz90 Ad-Free
13th March 2016, 05:14 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 130

More
Thanks!! Wonder though why it breaks Android pay.
The Following User Says Thank You to insang-droid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift insang-droid Ad-Free
14th March 2016, 12:39 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
If you switch the dpi back does it fix android pay?
14th March 2016, 02:46 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Nice! Thank you!
Does this change resolution to?

People who lowered the dpi and res in their s6 got faster benchmarks and cooler phones while playing 3D games. And potentially gaining battery life.
Will it effect S7 in the same way? What would be an optimal DPI if you want 1080 resolution?
14th March 2016, 03:24 PM |#5  
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 174

More
It wont work with apps like Swiftkey though since it doesn't support multi dpi.. for that root is needed.
15th March 2016, 06:50 PM |#6  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sliff

I've switched mine back and AP still does not work for me, and my camera app is still shifted. I think I may need to reset.

Edit: It would not reset the DPI using the adb reset command. I had to specifically rewrite it back to 640 to get everything back to normal.
15th March 2016, 06:55 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sliff

I've never used it myself but other users have advised me that when they reset the DPI, it worked as Normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.gid

It wont work with apps like Swiftkey though since it doesn't support multi dpi.. for that root is needed.

Not true. I use SwiftKey and it works perfectly after changing DPI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSoHungry

I've switched mine back and AP still does not work for me, and my camera app is still shifted. I think I may need to reset.

Weird. Did you reset the DPI as per the guide? Sounds like it hasn't actually gone back to default. Try again.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
15th March 2016, 07:06 PM |#8  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuBz90

Weird. Did you reset the DPI as per the guide? Sounds like it hasn't actually gone back to default. Try again.

Yea, I went back and had to rewrite it back to 640. The
Code:
 adb shell size reset && adb reboot
command does not stick.
The Following User Says Thank You to ImSoHungry For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ImSoHungry Ad-Free
15th March 2016, 07:08 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSoHungry

Yea, I went back and had to rewrite it back to 640. The

Code:
 adb shell size reset && adb reboot
command does not stick.

Are you sure you used

Code:
adb shell wm size reset &&  adb reboot
Looks like you missed the 'wm' part.

If it still doesn't work, try this one...

Code:
adb shell wm density reset && adb reboot

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
16th March 2016, 03:26 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Samsung pay does NOT work after changing DPI on GS7 Edge
i set up Samsung pay on both a S7 Edge and S6 Edge+. It worked prior to the changing the DPI using the method below. I changed my DPI using the method below on BOTH a S7 Edge and S6 Edge +. In both cases the Samsung Pay does not work with reduced DPI. I tried 480, 500, 520. The problem is the "radiating" bar above the credit card in Samsung pay never activates.... ever. I factory reset the device back to normal resolution (640) and voila', Samsung pay worked... I'm not sure why the reduced DPI would impact SamsungPay operation - any advice?
16th March 2016, 08:08 PM |#11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereeser

i set up Samsung pay on both a S7 Edge and S6 Edge+. It worked prior to the changing the DPI using the method below. I changed my DPI using the method below on BOTH a S7 Edge and S6 Edge +. In both cases the Samsung Pay does not work with reduced DPI. I tried 480, 500, 520. The problem is the "radiating" bar above the credit card in Samsung pay never activates.... ever. I factory reset the device back to normal resolution (640) and voila', Samsung pay worked... I'm not sure why the reduced DPI would impact SamsungPay operation - any advice?

Same here, SP working prior to DPI change now at 520 and it's greyed out where it says to enter the PIN or use finger print. Thoughts?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)