Overall love

Search This thread

NYYFan02

Oct 31, 2012
Philadelphia
Just got it last night, upgraded from Note 4 - the fluidity of it blows my Note 4 away, which lagged a bit, especially opening the camera and switching to and from camera and gallery. I've gone from the S3 to Note 4 and now to this and am happier each time with the trimmed down TouchWhiz and less bloat. I do have two questions though:

I was under the impression you could have just the "edge" always one with time/date, etc. although I don't see this as an option, only the "always on display" which is the whole screen. Am I missing something?

When I open a game, CoC for instance, my screen goes to like full on torch mode - ultra saturated, and looks pretty bad. I have the screen set to Basic but for some reason it changes when I open CoC.

Loving the phone so far, hopefully the battery impresses.

bigkevbosky

Apr 13, 2012
Just got it last night, upgraded from Note 4 - the fluidity of it blows my Note 4 away, which lagged a bit, especially opening the camera and switching to and from camera and gallery. I've gone from the S3 to Note 4 and now to this and am happier each time with the trimmed down TouchWhiz and less bloat. I do have two questions though:

I was under the impression you could have just the "edge" always one with time/date, etc. although I don't see this as an option, only the "always on display" which is the whole screen. Am I missing something?

When I open a game, CoC for instance, my screen goes to like full on torch mode - ultra saturated, and looks pretty bad. I have the screen set to Basic but for some reason it changes when I open CoC.

The edge features are only for the edge version of the S7. You're in the regular S7 forums, so I assume you have a regular S7.

Pleske

Sep 20, 2010

To fix over saturation in games, install package disabler from the play store and disable "Game Service (com.enhance.gameservice)"

chris@r5

Nov 27, 2006
I love this phone. Had a S6 for a while, but could not live with the horrible battery and reception. All gone with this beauty. Best phone I've had, and I've had hundreds of phones over the years...

Digital DJ

Nov 16, 2012
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 4
Switched!

Well, I actually left Verizon where I had the badass Motorola Droid Turbo 2 (which I'll never stop loving) to T-Mobile and got the Galaxy S7. I like it so far, but I'm not in love with it like my Droid. Hopefully, it'll grow on me...

Reactions: glenn0369

xkravenx

Aug 5, 2010
For a flagship phone I think the S7 is underwhelming. There is absolutely nothing new in the phone.

The implementation of the Always On Display is pretty useless. It can only display Samsung Apps. I heard LG G5 can do a lot more.

The display is nice. But so it was on the S5 and S6.

And finally, IMO is the "BACK" button on the right!. It should be on the left.

ben805

Aug 3, 2011
In the past few years my wife and I went from Note 2 (Verizon) to Note 4 (ATT) and now back to Verizon on this S7. We simply got tired of carrying around the behemoth phablet so we were looking to downsize to either S7 Edge or the S7, Verizon offered BOGO deal with both our Note 4 trade in, they also gave us two free Samsung S2 watch ($350 retail each), extra $100 visa credit per line, and more data for less (16GB for $80 vs 15GB for $100 from ATT), can also claim the free VR gear from samsung, too good of a deal to past up! LOL I heard the Edge screen is super sensitive (saw quite a few complaints on S7 Edge forum) and there's no getting around it yet, and some people had the curve screen scratch too easily. After playing around with both phones at the store we found the Edge wasn't much of a downsize anyway but the S7 is just perfect.

Performance:
The camera from S7 is leap and bound above the Note 4, it focus instantly, it is significantly more responsive than our Note 4, which had some focusing bugs issues, the Note 4 simply would not focus until we shoke the phones a few times, I've went through two new Note 4 with the same focusing problem, odin new rom or factory reset did not help either, it happened on 4.4 Kitkat and 5.01 Lolipop so it seems like a hardware issue. Overall we love our new S7, it feels much more responsive navigating and opening multiple apps, didn't notice lag like we often do with Note 4, no delay in keyboard. Battery life seems fine to us, it last us all day so no complaint there, though the phone does run warmer than Note 4, during charge or heavy usage in cpu/gpu intensive apps or games. Usually we upgrade our phones in 2 years cycle so the non-removable battery never bothers us at all, we have never needed to replace the battery on Note 2 or Note 4.

Case:
We bought several different cases for the S7, the $20 VRS Design High Pro shield feels cheap and the shell is too thin and inadequate to protect from drop, volume and power buttons are free floating and clicky, they are easily fell off as well. 2nd one we ried was the $40 Otterbox Defender, unfortunately the built-in screen protector on both unit we bought have too much gap and don't sit flush to the screen, the buttons for volume and power are extremely stiff and hard to press in, for whatever reason Otterbox mess this one up for the S7, this is a complete garbage comparing to the Defender we had on our Note 4, won't even pay $20 for this junk so we returned it. 3rd one we tried was the SUPCASE Full-body Rugged Holster Case with Built-in Screen Protector for $18, it is slightly slimmer than the Otterbox Defender but fits like a glove, the screen protector sits flush to the screen with zero gap or rainbow effect, my wife can't even tell there's a screen protector in place, volume and power buttons are responsive and easy to press, overall the SUPCASE feel as rugged as the defender from our Note 4, it is what the S7 Defender should have been. I would gladly pay $40 for it, feels like I ripped them off for paying only $18 from Amazon. If you want a rugged case for the S7 the SUPCASE is the one to get!

Last edited:

s3icc0

Mar 25, 2011
Still there is a lot of small things to improve ... usually on the firmware/software side ... anyway otherwise it is a great device ... (after 9 full days of usage)

Jairus24

Mar 15, 2016
Philippines
I really like it, especially for someone like me who upgraded from a Galaxy S4. The build quality jump from plastic to metal frame+glass, to the camera and the overall performance snappiness just never cease to amaze me.

grundgedanke

Apr 1, 2016
www.grundgedanke.de
I'm coming from a iPhone 6 and I'm very happy so far. I tend to switch between iOS and Android with every phone switch. Back in 2009 i had the first Samsung Galaxy and it sucked big time. I said to myself that I'll never buy a Samsung phone again. But because of everything I read and heard about the great camera I jumped on the S7 train anyways. Also some facts like water resistacne attracted me as it seems to be very usefull with one, soon two, little kis around.

I was very unsecure as a lot of people have complains about TouchWiz, but I really have to say it has come a long way since 09 :) and i like it.
So far there is nothing I have to complain about and especially the camera blowed me away. If everything stays that way Samsung and I am friends again :)

Reactions: glenn0369

codabrink

Feb 21, 2011
I run Syncthing on my phone, and due to lack of support with the Go language, the only way to write to all directories (instead of just /Android/data) on the SD card is to give the app root.
That's why root would be useful to me.
Currently all of my synced Movies/Videos are synced to an obscure directory in /SD-Card/Android/data/com.whateversyncthingis/data/...
It's a little annoying, but not the end of the world.
Still. I want root. I paid a lot of money for my phone, just to have Samsung tell me what I can and can't do with it.

chapmangeo

Jul 2, 2011
Yes, yes, it's possible to love a phone. Heck, you sleep next to it, don't you? Rate this thread to indicate your love for the Samsung Galaxy S7, all things considered. A higher rating indicates that the Samsung Galaxy S7 is an incredible phone that you enjoy tremendously. You love it. :eek:

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

If Samsung did not decide to kill the phone, I would have loved it. Now I'm switching back to HTC - and rootable devices.

Reactions: strokercrate

robie_cz

Feb 21, 2007
Packages safe to disable

This is first time when I don't need root. Everything works well. Annoyng sound while booting is away, sound when charging could be turned off.
Applications data can be restored wth Helium, Package Disabler can stop bloatware.
Only ads in applications are remaining but I can live with it.

Hi,
do you have pls a packages list, what can be safety disable? I used one, but I had an issue with signal "not registered in network". So I enabled all packages except aps like Note, Photos, Google music etc. and it seems there is no issue.

Thx,
Tomas

libb

Jan 12, 2010
Brno
www.fotolibb.com
Hi,
do you have pls a packages list, what can be safety disable? I used one, but I had an issue with signal "not registered in network". So I enabled all packages except aps like Note, Photos, Google music etc. and it seems there is no issue.

Thx,
Tomas

I stopped only Clock (using Google clock) and com.samsung.faceservice because it crashed often. Another applications like Slype, Word etc. I disabled in Application manager.

Reactions: robie_cz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All we need is root and my life is complete
    All we need is root and my life is complete

This is first time when I don't need root. Everything works well. Annoyng sound while booting is away, sound when charging could be turned off.
    Applications data can be restored wth Helium, Package Disabler can stop bloatware.
    Only ads in applications are remaining but I can live with it.

To fix over saturation in games, install package disabler from the play store and disable "Game Service (com.enhance.gameservice)"
    This phone absolutely ROCKS!!!

I have the Gold AT&T S7 w/ the free 64 GB sdcard from BestBuy... and free Gear VR.

This phone is sooo much faster than my S6 Edge was. It's better in every way.

The fingerprint button CRUSHES my S6 Edge in speed... wow.

The screen is AMAZING... can't believe it's better than the S6, but it is... brighter, crisp, vivid colors.

I like the improved trimmed-down Touchwiz.

My battery life is PHENOMENAL... no comparison to S6 Edge.

I swear to you these superlatives are not exaggerations... it really is that good.

I've been developing an app and testing it daily on the S6 Edge for the better part of a year. I've owned the HTC One M7 and M8 and developed on those -- rooted 'em, custom kernels, etc, and various iPhones 3-5.

The S7 is the King of Android phones, as far as I'm concerned. I won't even try to compare it to the iPhone ;) :).

It's fast as hell... and doesn't get hot like my S6 Edge did.

So yeah, it completely rocks in pretty much every way... works well with my Huawei Watch, bluetooth paired with my Model S no problem... Wifi works great, LTE great... call quality great.

I would have preferred it to have kept the IR blaster, and if it was lighter it would be nice, but those are pretty minor quibbles... sure unlocked boot loader, etc. would be nice, but heck, simply developing for Android takes enough time let alone hacking the phone itself, so I don't really miss not being able to root, but anyway.

Overall it simply blows my mind.

Smartphone Nirvana. Not kidding. :)
    So far I like it, feels much lighter than my Note 3 and is considerably faster in everything it does. Using Package Disabler to slowly disable the ton of junk on there, the DirecTV thing keeps popping up which is getting old real quick especially as I have disabled it twice now.