This is for the Chinese SM-G9300 and SM-G9308 Qualcomm models only! Do not flash on Exynos models!
If you have a SM-G9350 look here instead!
WARNING #1: Flashing a custom recovery to your device will trip the Knox warranty bit on your phone. Check with your mobile provider to see if they will still cover warranty on Knox bit triggered devices. If you understand this risk, continue on.
You generally don't have to worry, as it's incredibly hard to brick a Samsung device, and physical damage warranties should be exempt from Knox triggering.
WARNING #2: The Galaxy S7 stock boot image has dm-verity, which prevents you from booting if you swipe to enable system modifications!
SOLUTION: Follow the full rooting steps below in order to allow system modifications without the risk of a boot loop!
WHAT IS TWRP?
Oh come on, you know what it is - don't try to fool me!
In case you're serious, though...
Team Win Recovery Project is a custom recovery for Android devices.
It allows you to back up and restore your data, flash custom ROMs to your device, repair broken file systems, and root your device.
You can find the device page here:
There is a download link there, as well as instructions on how to flash it.
I highly recommend using Odin 3.12.3+ to flash when possible.
You can find a zip containing Odin as well as Samsung's Mobile drivers here:
FULL STEPS FOR OBTAINING ROOT
Follow these instructions until someone nice comes along and makes a video from them (without ads):
- In your ROM, go to Settings -> About device. Tap 7 times on Build number to enable Developer options.
- Now go to Settings -> Developer options. (above About device)
You need to enable OEM unlock, otherwise you might end up with boot problems or be unable to flash later on.
- You will need to unlock your bootloader now. To do this, download the app "CROM Service By Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd." from the Galaxy Apps store and run it.
Follow the instructions in the CROM Service app to allow your device to accept custom images in download mode.
- Extract Odin_3.12.3.zip to your computer.
- Install Samsung Mobile Phone Drivers for Odin to find your device.
- Download a .tar image of TWRP for heroqltechn.
- Reboot your device into Download mode. To do this, select reboot from the power menu and hold the [Volume Down] + [Home] buttons while your device reboots.
Once you reach the Download mode warning screen, press [Volume Up] to continue.
- Open Odin and place that TWRP tar file in the [AP] slot and disable Auto-Reboot, then press [Start].
- Hold [Volume Down] + [Home] + [Power] to get out of Download mode and immediately swap to [Volume Up] when the screen blanks.
If you don't see then TWRP boot splash try again from step 7.
- At this point, you will reach the screen asking you if you want to allow system modifications.
By swiping right, you will trigger dm-verity, and if you don't follow step 10 you will be unable to boot!
If you are going to root your device and follow the rest of these steps, then it is safe to swipe right and enable modifications.
- If you want to be rooted with SuperSU:
Download the latest SuperSU by Chainfire.
Without exiting TWRP, transfer the SuperSU zip to your device over MTP* and flash it using [Install] in TWRP.
If you want to be rooted with something else or just want a bootable system:
Download the latest no-verity-opt-encrypt zip.
Without exiting TWRP, transfer the no-verity-opt-encrypt zip to your device over MTP* and flash it using [Install] in TWRP.
It will allow your system to boot after swiping to enable modifications or using backup/restore in TWRP.
It should also allow you to use [Format Data] and prevent encryption, allowing you to use your data partition and internal storage inside TWRP.
- Go to [Reboot] -> [System].
- Wait 2-5 minutes for your device to finish setting itself up.
- v22.214.171.124 - Official release on twrp.me
- MTP support
- USB Mass Storage support
- Micro SDcard and USB OTG storage support
- f2fs file system support (read, write, format, backup & restore)
- exFAT file system support (read, write, format, backup & restore)
- NTFS file system support (read, write, format)
- ADB root
- Full SELinux support
- Built in android 6.0 tree
- Samsung encryption is not supported yet in TWRP 3.0 (see: https://gerrit.omnirom.org/#/c/17308/)
CONTACT & SUPPORT
You can find us on IRC at #twrp on chat.freenode.net.
You can also post in this thread and I will attempt to answer any questions you may have.
TWRP: https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery (android-6.0)
Device tree (USA): https://github.com/jcadduono/android...msung_heroqlte (android-6.0)
Device tree (China): https://github.com/TeamWin/android_d...ng_heroqltechn (android-6.0)
Kernel: https://github.com/jcadduono/android...amsung_msm8996 (twrp-6.0)
Gerrit for TWRP: http://gerrit.omnirom.org/
Gerrit for officially supported devices: http://gerrit.twrp.me/
Team Win Recovery Project - Samsung Galaxy S7 China, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy S7
jcadduono, Team Win & friends
Source Code: https://github.com/TeamWin/android_d...ng_heroqltechn
Current Stable Version: 3.0.2-0
Stable Release Date: 2016-09-09
Last Updated 2016-11-22