FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Do you want a Samsung Dex dock?

Yes

118 Vote(s)
58.13%
No

51 Vote(s)
25.12%
Already have one!

34 Vote(s)
16.75%

Samsung Dex

306 posts
Thanks Meter: 172

By SmilerOnline, Senior Member on 22nd April 2017, 07:27 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
DeXDA forums.

So now we are starting to see people get their hands on the Galaxy S8 and the DeX Dock lets discuss the experience.

If you already have DeX and want to enable resizable windows for all apps either follow the guide available in the DeX Hub app or just go into the 'Settings/Samsung Dex/About Samsung DeX' and keep tapping the DeX logo until you see the version name change to show the message (Developer) after it!

Official Samsung info page

Simple guide to add DeX improvements to your app:
Official developer page

Promo video:

Apps built primarily for DeX:
DeX Hub

Sync Chrome desktop bookmarks with 'Samsung Internet' browser:
Chrome desktop extension

DeX dock:

Screenshot of Dex Desktop:
Samsung Dex desktop
Screenshot of Dex desktop multi-window
Dex multi-window

GS8 is faster than a Macbook Air

Find more XDA discussions on this in the S8 section thanks to @oF2pks:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...-true-t3594012
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SmilerOnline For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SmilerOnline Ad-Free

22nd April 2017, 07:53 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag London, UK

Donate to Me
More
So far it is great I am typing up this comment using the S8+ in Dex.

It is great to use any of my Android apps in a desktop environment. I use more Android apps than Windows apps daily, so having access to those Android apps in a desktop like environment makes the whole experience so much greater.

But there are a few small things bugging me.

/* Audio: My mistake, this turns out not to have any problems... */

* Vibration: I am hearing the device vibrate when in Dex because it is not disabling haptic feedback.

* Fullscreen apps: Unfornately if your app doesn't support resizing it is only displayed in a fixed window size which can not be manually changed to anything other than a phone sized UI although you can switch between portrait & landscape, although this is not very effective when you are trying to use something like Microsoft Remote Desktop, video players or games.

* Singular notificaton pop-ups: This can often lead to notifications fighting over which is visible, and effectively makes it unviewable.

So my conclusion is that there are a few bugs, but surely they will be fixed with updates when Samsung is made aware of these bugs.
But I wouldn't write it off because of these bugs, as the device has only just become available to pre-order customers, so feedback is still required for Samsung to become aware of these bugs.

But well done to Samsung for making a usable desktop experience which imo is better than Remix OS by the way.

p.s. I'm not aware of how to report these bugs to Samsung directly.

*EDIT*
Also worth noting is the fact that Android O supports launching any app (not just specially developed apps) on a secondary output display, I have tested this in a custom launcher I made for the Nexus 6P running Android O. This could mean that eventually we will be able to use Dex whilst the devices screen will still be usable for additional content.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SmilerOnline For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SmilerOnline Ad-Free
22nd April 2017, 07:58 AM |#3  
Flag Capelle aan den IJssel
Thanks Meter: 689

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilerOnline

So far it is great I am typing up this comment using the S8+ in Dex.

It is great to use any of my Android apps in a desktop environment. I use more Android apps than Windows apps daily, so having access to those Android apps in a desktop like environment makes the whole experience so much greater.

But there are a few small things bugging me.

* Audio: currently Iam experiencing a bug where the device doesn't send audio over HDMI and it continues to use the phones speaker.

* Vibration: I am hearing the device vibrate when in Dex because it is not disabling haptic feedback.

* Fullscreen apps: Unfornately if your app doesn't support resizing it is only displayed in a fixed window size which can not be manually changed to anything other than a phone sized UI although you can switch between portrait & landscape, although this is not very effective when you are trying to use something like Microsoft Remote Desktop, video players or games.

* Singular notificaton pop-ups: This can often lead to notifications fighting over which is visible, and effectively makes it unviewable.

So my conclusion is that there are a few bugs, but surely they will be fixed with updates when Samsung is made aware of these bugs.
But I wouldn't write it off because of these bugs, as the device has only just become available to pre-order customers, so feedback is still required for Samsung to become aware of these bugs.

But well done to Samsung for making a usable desktop experience which imo is better than Remix OS by the way.

p.s. I'm not aware of how to report these bugs to Samsung directly.

Fo the audio part there is a setting for it...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeshter2000 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jeshter2000 Ad-Free
22nd April 2017, 08:05 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag London, UK

Donate to Me
More
@Jeshter2000:
Where about do I find that setting?

I have tried tinkering in audio settings but I cant find it...
22nd April 2017, 08:07 AM |#5  

More
Quote:

@Jeshter2000:
Where about do I find that setting?

I have tried tinkering in audio settings but I cant find it...

It is in de bottom right corner if I recall correctly...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeshter2000 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jeshter2000 Ad-Free
22nd April 2017, 08:09 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag London, UK

Donate to Me
More
I can see the volume control settings but nothing to do with redirecting audio to the connected display...
22nd April 2017, 09:56 AM |#7  

More
Quote:

I can see the volume control settings but nothing to do with redirecting audio to the connected display...

When Im home ill make a print screen for you!!
22nd April 2017, 11:26 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Not sure if it is of any assistance, but under development settings there is a tab "media" (almost at the bottom) with the setting "Prevent USB audio routing". Maybe this has something to do with it.
22nd April 2017, 12:33 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag London, UK

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeshter2000

It is in de bottom right corner if I recall correctly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeshter2000

When Im home ill make a print screen for you!!

Thanks! 😁

*EDIT*
FOUND IT!!!
My apologies...
Thanks for your help though.

It was just that Iwas not clicking the up arrow in the bottom right tray area, Iwas just thinking that audio settings would be under the speaker icon...
*Slaps head*
The Following User Says Thank You to SmilerOnline For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SmilerOnline Ad-Free
22nd April 2017, 12:50 PM |#10  
Flag Milton Keynes
Thanks Meter: 2

More
where can I buy it here in UK ?
I will be in Montreal in a couple of weeks, maybe it's better to buy there? or ?
22nd April 2017, 01:50 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag London, UK

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndee92

where can I buy it here in UK ?
I will be in Montreal in a couple of weeks, maybe it's better to buy there? or ?

I purchased mine from Mobile Fun UK Link below:
http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/official-...ock-p63089.htm

p.s. It was delivered within 2 days (about April 12th), so I'm sure you'll get it rather quickly!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SmilerOnline For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SmilerOnline Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
dex, galaxy s8, s8+, samsung, samsung dex

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)