Do you want a Samsung Dex dock?

• Total voters
Search This thread

navyenzo

Dec 1, 2007
I previously sent an email to Samsumgs DeX team requesting sypport for the middle mouse button within the browser when in DeX mode.

Just a quick note to everyone:
I was looking through the 'Samsung-framework-res.apk' file resources previously, and it suggests that Samsung are working to bring a large quantity of desktop like features that we all are familiar with, I guess that this suggests that Samsung just didn't have the time to get it all ready before the release date deadline for the S8.

One of my favourite features that the resource files appear to suggest is coming is something similar to 'Window snap' on other OS', enabling you to quickly drag the window to the side to quickly fill half of the screen with that app in a dual app screen layout!

Thank you, I can't wait for the update

Moogung

May 22, 2017
I have just succeeded in running KODI fullscreen on DeX by DeX MAX.
It succeeded in a very experimental condition.
I will organize this experiment into my app soon.
I will notify this thread when DeX MAX is updated.

Screenshot_20170523-232836+(1).png

Last edited:
Reactions: vhsantos1

lsxmma

Dec 7, 2010
Ok, so I am not very techy but very interested in Dex. Is it fairly simple learning curve? I use my phone all day long for work and it would be so much simpler to use on a desktop.

Also, I have read conflicting things. Is all I need a monitor that is HDMI compatible and a keyboard? Does the keyboard have to be wiresless?

The only things i am really wanting to do is text, use google drive and internet.

Last edited:

SmilerOnline

May 6, 2011
London, UK
play.google.com
Ok, so I am not very techy but very interested in Dex. Is it fairly simple learning curve? I use my phone all day long for work and it would be so much simpler to use on a desktop.

Also, I have read conflicting things. Is all I need a monitor that is HDMI compatible and a keyboard? Does the keyboard have to be wiresless?

The only things i am really wanting to do is text, use google drive and internet.

I use a keyboard connected via USB, so that is fine!

I would say that if you're familiar with Windows desktop & Android mobile then this will be pretty familiar, as it pretty much feels like a Windows desktop layout, but with Android apps, and an Android style settings app instead of a Windows style control panel.

I have a USB keyboard, I switch between a bluetooth mouse an a USB mouse depending on where I am, and I have two HDMI displays and 1 DVI display which all have worked fine with the dock!

I hope that helps! :)

Yes, have a look earlier in the thread I'm using the extension smileronline suggested a few pages back and it works great. :)

Good to know that everything is working fine for you! :)

Is it possible to get a real fullscreen mode for games? Without any UI?

It depends on what game you're playing, but most games work in full screen with the developer mode on! :)

Last edited:

Motawa88

Oct 9, 2011
Hamburg

I would say that if you're familiar with Windows desktop & Android mobile then this will be pretty familiar, as it pretty much feels like a Windows desktop layout, but with Android apps, and an Android style settings app instead of a Windows style control panel.

I have a USB keyboard, I switch between a bluetooth mouse an a USB mouse depending on where I am, and I have two HDMI displays and 1 DVI display which all have worked fine with the dock!

Good to know that everything is working fine for you! :)

It depends on what game you're playing, but most games work in full screen with the developer mode on! :)

Without any UI? A "real" fullscreen? What games don't work?

SmilerOnline

May 6, 2011
London, UK
play.google.com
Without any UI? A "real" fullscreen? What games don't work?

If a game is optimised for much older versions of Android, it may not hide the taskbar when you maximise it, but anything designed for more recent versions of Android should hide the taskbar fine.

On the non-developer mode, apps which are not optimsed for DeX will be forced to run in a mobile sized window, but you can get around around this just by switching to the developer mode.

I guess that Samsung just set it to fixed phone window sizes by default if it is not optimised for resizable windowed mode just to reduce the chance of users experiencing any bugs in non-DeX optimised apps. But the Developer mode removes this limitation as most technically minded people will know that one or two bugs may be expected in older apps.

Last edited:

lsxmma

Dec 7, 2010

So, do I have to have a monitor that is HDMI? I looked today and my work provided one does not have HDMI input.

KenHua

Sep 30, 2011
@SmilerOnline and all, I think I found something interesting that I don't recall seeing it discussed before. It is regarding the apps windows position and size. If you close the apps before you undock, the windows position and size would be retaimed for those apps that you didn't open whilst it was undocked.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmilerOnline

samteeee

New DeX Version....

Hi guys,

I bought my S8+ & DeX from UK and few days ago got my phone but not the dock! The invoice said "Backorder"!
But this morning I chat withe the Clove Technology, my retailer in UK, and was informed that a new, revised version
of DeX has been released and I should wait to get that one!
Have you guys heard anything ?
Thank you.

russ18uk

Aug 1, 2011
Hi guys,

I bought my S8+ & DeX from UK and few days ago got my phone but not the dock! The invoice said "Backorder"!
But this morning I chat withe the Clove Technology, my retailer in UK, and was informed that a new, revised version
of DeX has been released and I should wait to get that one!
Have you guys heard anything ?
Thank you.

Interesting! When you get it, would you mind opening it up and posting some photos?

Lee82UK

Jul 8, 2010
According to the clove page, the new version isn't due until September?!
Seems difficult to find stock in the UK.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to DeXDA forums. :)
    samsung-dex-dubai-uae-price.jpg

Official Samsung info page

Sync Chrome desktop bookmarks with 'Samsung Internet' browser:
    Chrome desktop extension

Run Windows apps:
    WINE

Install a custom Linux OS:
    Linux on Galaxy

Apps built primarily for DeX:
    Desktop Hub
    <WEBSCAPE/>

Simple developer guide to add DeX improvements to your app:
    Official developer page

Promo video:

DeX dock:
    samsung-dex-docking-station-7-500x333.jpg

If you already have DeX and want to enable resizable windows for all apps either follow the guide available in the Desktop Hub app or just go into the 'Settings/Samsung Dex/About Samsung DeX' and keep tapping the DeX logo until you see the version name change to show the message (Developer) after it!

Popular Youtuber 'Mr Mobile' review:

Screenshot of DeX Desktop:
    20ubmo6.png

Screenshot of DeX desktop multi-window
    2i0ck8i.png

2ex555w.jpg

Find more XDA discussions on this in the S8 section thanks to @oF2pks:
    https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s8/how-to/discussion-dex-to-to-true-t3594012
    I have put together this free(and ad free) app for DeX users (Dex Hub).

It simply lets you choose whether your device automatically turns on/off Wi-Fi & Bluetooth when going in and out of DeX mode.

It plays start & exit sounds to confirm when it has ran the script.

It also has a device resources and background services monitor for those of you with performance concerns when in DeX mode:

Dex Hub - Play store link

Normally I would charge for apps (ads just didn't generate enough revenue), but this is free as I want to encourage the adoption of Unified Computing, yeah it is nothing special, but it is just designed to remove the need to change settings continuously and reduce anxieties of those who think that the S8 doesn't have the horsepower to do what they want.
    I may add more features in the future if it can help to encourage more people to use the DeX mode.
    There is a donate button in the overflow menu if you want to support development, but there isn't any need to as everything is available to all users.

PDUq6iXSz-XzkfZeGsmgcGXkes6ohQxQfTjmA0wslchFbx-WqsRQShREQBFWcKY2qsbP=h900-rw
    I managed to set a custom resolution using ADB over wifi (part of the Android developer tools) with the following command:
    adb shell wm size 2880x1620
    I did try to set it to 4k, but 2880 seems to be the maximum width I can set, so I just set the height as 1620 to optimise it for my 16:9 aspect ratio monitor.
    Technically, you could try to calculate the highest resolution with a value equal to or less than 2880 which would match your displays aspect ratio, whch may be useful if you have a 4:3, 16:10 or 21:9 aspect ratio display.

Once changed, you can check the new resolution by entering the following command and reading the 'Override' value, the 'Physical' size is just the phones screen resolution so ignore that.

There may be some visual bugs when changing the resolutions as they obviously haven't been officially tested.

You can change the DPI by modifying the density value, by default it is 160.
    Lower values will shrink the UI to display more stuff on screen, the higher density makes items look bigger on screen.
    Changing the density multiple times may cause display issues such as icons not displaying correctly etc...
    I fixed this just by selecting a different resolution in the DeX settings to quickly restore the devices default setttings.
    adb shell wm density

*IMPORTANT NOTE*
    This will almost certainly create problems when going back into phone mode unless you apply the phones resolution and DPI settings before exiting DeX and the ADB tool.

Please note that I can't integrate this into Desktop Hub as this adjusts a secure system setting which requires you to use the ADB commands, which are not available to third party apps i.e. Desktop Hub.
    jl1f06.jpg
    I aren't sure that I can say anything yet, but I will just say that I think that there is something big that will be announced for DeX during SDC! ?

*UPDATE*
    Linux on Galaxy (DeX):
    https://seap.samsung.com/linux-on-galaxy
    That perfectly makes sense. Installing Linux distros on Android using the same kernel is easy, there are installers since the beginning. As Android doesn't use the standard unix folder names (usr, bin, lib...) installing Linux won't overwrite the Android system.
    I'm glad Samsung realized that they can build a basic desktop on Android, but for a full mobile workstation they need a more serious base OS. And finally the hardware is there to run a full Linux system without problems.
    The main challenge now is to integrate the phone software - like notifications, calls, messages; apps - especially calendar, email and games; and hardware - like using the phone as a touchpad, integrating wifi and bluetooth controls in the Linux desktop.

Anyway, please share with us your impressions too (like usability, user experience...).

So, I should note that DeX will be exactly as it is now, but you can launch Linux and it will launch like any other app. So DeX will still show all of your Android apps fine, but you can run Linux apps on the Linux distro.
    I am excited to see if I can use 'Wine' on there, as that will allow Legacy Windows apps to run directly from the phone! :)

*Update*
    Picture of it in action:
    5ue8vl.jpg