Will wireless charging work with Otterbox Defender case?

Search This thread

Obs1234

May 20, 2007
Just adding my comment as well.

S8 Plus WILL work it otterbox...but in portrait mode only.....

Just picked up my charger for only 20 bux new in package...silly east indian guy...looked so guilty...prob VERY hot since he said he had lots more...

hijewpositive

Dec 25, 2009
New York, NY
Just adding my comment as well.

S8 Plus WILL work it otterbox...but in portrait mode only.....

Just picked up my charger for only 20 bux new in package...silly east indian guy...looked so guilty...prob VERY hot since he said he had lots more...

My S8+ w/OtterBox works in both portrait and landscape mode on a 2 coil wireless charging stand.

TBat55

Nov 22, 2017
Defender will not charge wireless

Has anyone ever had experience with Samsung smartphones charging wirelessly through Defender's thicker casing?
I always had to find the sweet spot with my Note 7 and much thinner cases on last year's Samsung fast wireless charger in order for it to work.

No. My Samsung Galaxy S8+ with the Ottterbox Defendder case will NOT charge on my expensive wireless charger stand (with the special 2Amp AC adapter). S6 worked fine, with an Otterbox Commuter case.\

Also the Defender was so tight I had to pry with screwdrivers! All buttons got pushed and it entered factory rest mode.

dav1129

Sep 14, 2014
Canberra
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
Otterbox FAQ

I also wanted to know if my S7 would charge wireless fast or otherwise, while in its Otterbox Defender case. So I looked and found the answer somewhere on the Otterbox website. I remember correctly under the FAQ section. The answer was that all Otterbox cases are designed to work with wireless chargers. But as this does not seem to be true with a first albeit fake, Samsung fast charger I have tried, I looked again and can't find the same FAQ. Wondered if its still there or subsequently removed?

I'll be returning the fake charger as it was advertised as genuine with a fan which it doesn't, so can anyone tell be if having a genuine or different brand or model charger makes a difference?

EDIT: I found the FAQ I saw sometime ago. Its not under General FAQ but the model specific FAQ

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

patricehk

Dec 29, 2017
Wireless Pad with Defender Otterbox

My Samsung Galaxy S 8+ with a defender Otterbox does not work on a wireless pad. I tried seating it in different positions, it still did not charge. Maybe my unit was defective but I doubt it. The light came on when I plugged it in but that was all that happened.

jinshanghaiaraol

Oct 29, 2017
it works, but make sure that you do have a high quality charger, and the size of the pad should at least same size as your phone

cybermage1

Nov 19, 2010
www.humanoidapps.com
it works, but make sure that you do have a high quality charger, and the size of the pad should at least same size as your phone

Can you recommend what a "good quality" charger is and/or specific models people have used through a defender? My old S6 originally charged through my defender case on a wireless pad, but after my home was destroyed in floods and I lost that charger I tried two other charger models and neither would work through the case. The one I originally had was a cheap chinese and I couldn't ever find the exact one again.

So, for people who have wireless charging + defender cases working, what charger are you using?

I took a chance and ordered a pair of Samsung wireless fast chargers just now and will report back on my S8 and defender case experience. Figured Amazon would take them back if it failed.

Last edited:

Bigshow5379

Mar 6, 2018
I have an s8+ with otterbox defender. Does not work with cheap qi chargers. Works for a few weeks at a time with a Samsung branded charger but eventually stops. So if you aren't opposed to buying a new charger every month it works i guess

vanram

Mar 21, 2018
I have an S9+ and the samsung wireless charger. The blue light blinks indicating that it is not properly charging and the phone won't get any juice with the screenless Otterbox defender case - I just removed the outer layer of the otterbox and the phone is now charging. But it is going to be a real pain in the butt having to do that every single time I want to charge my phone wirelessly. #1stWorldProblems

snippem

May 25, 2015
I have an S9+ and the samsung wireless charger. The blue light blinks indicating that it is not properly charging and the phone won't get any juice with the screenless Otterbox defender case - I just removed the outer layer of the otterbox and the phone is now charging. But it is going to be a real pain in the butt having to do that every single time I want to charge my phone wirelessly. #1stWorldProblems

Maybe related to the s9+ having thicker glass and the defender case which is a rather bulky case.

Anyway this the S8+ section

relapse_au

Mar 27, 2018

I have the same case and I just got the S9+ today, I came here not being able to get my phone to charge, but after following the directions from brockmoel I can definitely say that I can get my phone to charge without removing the case, but it's a bit fiddly to find the sweet spot, but then once it starts charging it's fine.

I have found that the only way I can get the phone to charge properly is if the wireless pad is flat on the surface, if it's raised at 90 degrees I can't get it to charge.

As with what someone said about the S8, the sweet spot seems to be to have the phone sitting slightly off the vertical centre, if the middle of the phone is sitting in the middle of the pad I end up with the light initially coming on, but then going off, but if I push the phone up slightly the blue light on the charger then stays on and my phone charges.

Last edited:

OhBigDaddy

Apr 24, 2018
Doesn't work for me... Works fine if you take the rubber off the case but not at all with it on. Tried fiddling with it for over an hour and it just won't do it.

gbutler3

Aug 30, 2018
Sorta. Yes and No

I have a Note 9 128 from Verizon and a Otterbox Defender case. With the phone in it's I could not get the dual charger on either pad to charge. The charging base that collapses from upright5 to flat I alos could not get to work. The charger base that stays uprigt does work, but only on it's side. There's a sweet spot just a little right of center but you can find it (the light on the base lights up when you do) and it does work. I was unable to get the phone to charge oriented up and down with the rubber case on, but it worked just fine in that orientation with the rubber cover off. The flat charger I was able to get it to charge (haven't worked with that as much as the others but it looks like you have to find the sweet spot like the upright one.

hagsmich

Jun 12, 2006
The BEST Wireless Charger

Don't waste your time with the Samsung or Pleson or any other wireless charger. I have both and the are a pain in the butt with the otterbox on my Samsung Galaxy S8+. I found the answer at IKEA. GO to IKEA and purchase a RALLEN disk. They come in black or white and are about three inches across. You can buy them mounted in wood or just drill a three inch hole in wood and glue the disk in yourself. They make the best wireless chargers and they do work with the otterbox. They have a much bigger sweet spot than either the Samsung or Pleson.

Drunkula

Jan 22, 2012
Denton, TX
My S8+ with Otterbox will not wirelessly charge on my Samsung charger, in the upright position. I have to make it lay flat for it to work.

bobvettel

Nov 8, 2018
I found that I can wireless charge my Note 9 without removing the rubber bumper AND being in an upright position.

All I did was to turn off fast wireless charging. Since I only charge my phone at night, it’s not that big of a problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All Otterbox cases support everything on the phone

I think hearing back from Otterbox would possibly be a more prudent answer.
    I heard back from Otterbox:

Thank you for your e-mail. Good news, I do show that it does work with wireless charging. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Have a great day!
    If it were me, I'd ask for a refund. This is NOT what they told me in an email exchange I had with them. Seems like false advertising.

Ya, I think I'm going to return them. I've gotten in contact with them on social media and they say all their cases have been tested and it DOES work wirelessly when laid flat. I think they just didn't test this particular scenario. Sad, because otherwise I really like this case.
    Doesn't matter what Otterbox says, wireless charging with the Defender case is sketchy at best on the S8.
    S8+ Wireless Charging Otterbox Defender Case

I heard back from Otterbox:

Here's what I just got from Otterbox:
    Unfortunately, we can not test our cases with those devices, so some will work and some will not. If you are having issues it will probably not be the best match.

I can only get it to charge if I take the rubber off the case.