Thanks Meter: 2,819

By Wootever, Senior Member on 8th December 2017, 11:43 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th December 2017, 03:41 AM |#11  
Flag Hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Thanks @Wootever

I was on RpmAur-2.1 and flashed the kernel, all works well and I can proudly say that my eyes are not burning as it used to earlier.

Thank you for your work, Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to neitin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift neitin Ad-Free

14th December 2017, 12:14 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
Don't boot, stay in Samsung logo

Renovate AQK7 + Firmware AQK7
14th December 2017, 01:42 PM |#13  
Flag Hyderabad

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujusito

Don't boot, stay in Samsung logo

Renovate AQK7 + Firmware AQK7

I had the same issue. Refer couple of post above for resolution

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to neitin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift neitin Ad-Free
14th December 2017, 11:13 PM |#14  
OP Senior Member

More
I made some adjustments to retain the calibration and overall image quality, it should be pretty much identical with the stock kernel now.
The difference is basically the increased visibility of mura defects without PWM (flickerfree kernel behaviour) or almost no visible mura defects with PWM enabled (stock kernel behaviour).

Here is a quick comparison photo:
(Stock kernel is on the left side; if you look closely you can see the some repeating transversal lines, those are the typical PWM lines captured by camera.)
(Flickerfree kernel is on the right side; there are some bright dots that looks like compression artifacts, those are mura defects.)

Edit:
Here is another photo for a better comparison (left side: mura defects masked by PWM, right side: visible mura defects due to missing PWM).
(Note: those mura defects are especially visible on very low brightness <20cd/m2, anything above 40cd/m2 shouldn't be noticeable).

More information about can be found in the Samsung AMOLED patent description: Organic light emitting display device and driving method thereof
The Following User Says Thank You to Wootever For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wootever Ad-Free
15th December 2017, 01:03 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by neitin

I had the same issue. Refer couple of post above for resolution

If the solution is flashing stock rom with odin i don't want this.
This kernel need more compatibility with custom roms, v3 and v4.

Don't work for me, stay in Samsung logo when boot.
15th December 2017, 07:18 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 71

Donate to Me
More
Welcome aboard sir! I was just curious about this kernel last night. Was thinking to myself, I miss the flicker kernel for the edge and was going to seek you out to see about a port but looks like its an early Christmas for me
16th December 2017, 06:58 AM |#17  
Flag Hyderabad

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujusito

If the solution is flashing stock rom with odin i don't want this.
This kernel need more compatibility with custom roms, v3 and v4.

Don't work for me, stay in Samsung logo when boot.

Just an heads up I have tested on Batman Rom and it works flawlessly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neitin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift neitin Ad-Free
16th December 2017, 09:16 AM |#18  
Recognized Developer / Contributor
Flag NSW
Thanks Meter: 7,171

Donate to Me
More
Nice to see this on S8 source

Can we still toggle it via echo 0 / echo 1 ?
16th December 2017, 07:29 PM |#19  
OP Senior Member

More
I added the flickerfree setting to the S8 (G950F) panel driver. If someone is willing to test this version please report back if it's working correctly.(note: for now the lowest brightness step is set much higher (300cd/m2) to verify that the flickerfree brightness table is working.)

@djb77
Not yet, but i might add that in a future version.
16th December 2017, 10:35 PM |#20  
Recognized Developer / Contributor
Flag NSW
Thanks Meter: 7,171

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootever

I added the flickerfree setting to the S8 (G950F) panel driver. If someone is willing to test this version please report back if it's working correctly.

(note: for now the lowest brightness step is set much higher (300cd/m2) to verify that the flickerfree brightness table is working.)

@djb77
Not yet, but i might add that in a future version.

I've been speaking with @morogoku (author of MTweaks) about it. We may even able to patch it to make it work.
I'll have a look at both sources today (hero and dream) and see what I can do.
I've noticed the changes in the hero code which check for the 0 or 1 o be enabled, doesn't look too complicated, but ofcourse if you do have time it would be appreciated if you can do it yourself to make sure its 100% correct.

Once again thanks for supporting the S8 with this
17th December 2017, 12:24 AM |#21  
Flag Hyderabad

More
Hi Guys

I have a question. How do I make tar file out of the zip file to flash it with Odin. I am looking for moving to complete stock. But would like to have the PWM fixed. I know @Wootever mentioned this in a post but I couldn't follow it. Please can someone help me.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)