FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 9 Lite

[ROOT]G955U/G955U1 SnapDragon SamPWND Root IS HERE!

10,058 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,880

Thread Closed Email Thread
FINALLY!

We Present To You

SamPWND!

Root for the USA Variants of the S8 & S8 Plus Devices!
(This thread will focus only on the S8+)

This thread had been closed/locked until further notice. The thread and links should remain active and the thread has served it's purpose. You will need to search the thread if you have any questions pertaining to root or any errors/issues that you are facing. The other reason I have decided to close the thread is because it has gone off topic one too many times, people like to argue and debate and MODS have had to come in here 1 too many times to clean it up so as to make life easier, I will just shut it down. Please do not bombard me with PM's for root assistance because if it has been answered in this thread already (and it most likely has) I will just direct you to search in the thread if I am able to respond at all.

ALSO, please do not utilize our firmware/root files/method without gaining permission first or I will ask for the thread to be removed/locked. Just because the thread gets closed does not mean we didn't spend a lot of time to get to this point.

Thank you and enjoy SamPWND root!

DISCLAIMER:
We are not responsible for any damage done to your device as no one is "forcing" you to root your phone! If you are not sure of how to follow instructions or use ADB then I would suggest waiting for someone to help you or that you read up on how these things work before diving head first. The ENG system is not very stable when it comes to root as well as it has a ton of tools and binaries not available on stock devices so we are not responsible if you break something while on any firmwares but especially while on the ENG firmware.

DISCLAIMER 2:

Please do not take our work and post it elsewhere. We spent a lot of time on this for people to take it and use it as if it is their own. With that being said, if you have a better process for something or find any issues/errors, please PM myself or one of the listed contributors of this root method, do NOT post it directly in the thread because it causes confusion. We know with 100% certainty the files and method presented WORK. If it is not working for someone there are a number of possible reasons why. If users start modifying our files/scripts and posting them and you decide you are going to use someone else's files/scripts, do not post in our threads asking for us to help you because we will have no idea what was modified or changed and will just tell you to use the original files.

Returning to Stock:
- It is possible to return to 100% stock and it is very EASY to do.
- This is the reason why I provide both Normal, and Comsey ODIN's.
- All you need is a full stock 4 files firmware of your choice.
- Extract those files. Open ODIN and select the 4 files in their respective slots.
* IF YOU GET ERRORS such as model mismatch, start with 1 partition at a time to find out which one is throwing the error. (In my experience, it is the BL file that causes the error.) Once you find the culprit, throw that partition into the other ODIN. (For example, the BL file is giving an error in Comsey ODIN, throw the BL file in NORMAL ODIN and flash it by itself.)
* Typically you might have to throw individual partitions into either of the ODIN's but in the end you will be back on full stock firmware.

What doesn't work while rooted?

- On ANY ROOTED device, anything that utilizes "SafetyNet" will NOT work.
- Magisk and/or SuHide will NOT work. Our bootloader is still locked and these two modify the boot.img which would cause our devices to not boot up and having to start the root process over again, you have been warned!
- Systemless root also does NOT work. Again, this patched the boot.img which we cannot do because of our locked bootloader.
- Battery currently only charges to 80%. There are a few that feel it legit doesn't charge fully but others are claiming they get the same amount of life as they did with a 100% battery so the 80% might just be a visual issue or "fake" when it is really at 100%. Either way, we are still looking into this.

Main Contributors:
@elliwigy
@Harry44
@akiraO1
@BotsOne
@GSMCHEN
@jrkruse (for uploading system.img.ext4 and his root zip for the part 2 instructions)
@V0idst4r (for help in creating a "1 click" method for part 1!)

Initial Description on the process:
We are essentially flashing a modified 4 file firmware package in ODIN and then utilizing a few binaries in conjunction with SU binary and a permissive kernel. We will then be running some ADB commands and in order to have a fully working, amazing root with all things working we will be utilizing a stock system.img & a root script in conjunction with Flashfire. If you want to know all the technical details, you can take apart the files if you would like. It is released, so it is no longer a secret!

PART 1 Instructions: NEW

Flashing SamPWND 4 Files Firmware:
1) Download the PART 1 FILES Listed Below (this includes SamPWND_Root.zip and Initial ODIN 4 Files FIRMWARE and ODIN's if you do not already have them.)
2) Extract the 4 Files ODIN Firmware Package (also extract the ODIN's if you do not have them already.)
3) Open Comsey ODIN and select each partition and then select the files from the 4 File Firmware Package you extracted (BL goes in BL slot, AP in AP, CP in CP & CSC in CSC.) The options you select in ODIN shouldn't matter but I typically select F. Reset Time, Auto Reboot, Re-Partition, Nand Erase All & Update Bootloader.
4) Press Start and Wait for it to Finish. Once it finishes, if it boots into stock recovery simply select "Reboot System"

Take a breather, the ODIN portion is done (unless you have to start over for some reason...)

Now the NEW Root Process:
1) Once the phone is booted up, make sure you have ADB Enabled and connected to your PC. It should have prompted you to accept USB debugging as soon as it booted up.
2) Unzip the SamPWND_Root.zip
3) Double click "step1"
4) Wait for it to finish and once it reboots and comes back on you will be rooted with SuperSU!
5) Continue to PART 2 for "EVEN BETTER ROOT"
* It is a Windows bat file so not sure if it works on MAC. If you can't run bat files, use the OLD instructions.
* The bat will take about 30 seconds to run it's course. This is due to giving enough time for the remount script to mount the system as RW.

PART 1 Instructions: OLD

1) Download the PART 1 FILES Listed Below (this includes Systemroot + ADB zip, Initial ODIN 4 Files FIRMWARE and ODIN's if you do not already have them)
2) Extract the 4 Files ODIN Firmware Package, Also extract the ODIN's if you don't have them already.
3) Open Comsey ODIN and select each partition and then select the files from the 4 File Firmware Package you extracted (BL goes in BL slot, AP in AP, CP in CP & CSC in CSC.) The options you select in ODIN shouldn't matter but I typically select F. Reset Time, Auto Reboot, Re-Partition, Nand Erase All & Update Bootloader.
4) Press Start and Wait for it to Finish. Once it finishes, if it boots into stock recovery simply select "Reboot System"

Take a breather, the ODIN portion is done (unless you have to start over for some reason...)

Now the ADB Process to actually Root:

1) Extract the Systemroot + ADB zip listed below in an easy to find directory.
2) Make sure phone is connected to PC and ensure USB Debugging is enabled.
3) In the folder you extracted, you should see a "cmd-here" file. Double click it and it should open up an ADB cmd window.
4) Now we will start with the ADB commands:
- Type
Code:
adb push systemroot /data/local/tmp
What it will look like:
C:\Users\Thomas\Desktop\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb push systemroot /data/local/tmp
/data/local/tmp/systemroot/: 8 files pushed. 0 files skipped. 10.0 MB/s (7072263 bytes in 0.673s)

- Type
Code:
adb shell chmod -R 7777 /data/local/tmp
What it will look like:
C:\Users\Thomas\Desktop\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb shell chmod -R 7777 /data/local/tmp
C:\Users\Thomas\Desktop\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>

- Type
Code:
adb shell setsid su
What it will look like:
C:\Users\Thomas\Desktop\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb shell setsid su
(It will be blank with the blinking cursor, move to next step)

- Type
Code:
id
(you should at this point see that your are in a root shell!)
What it will look like:
id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),1004(input),1007(log),1011(adb),101 5(sdcard_rw),1028(sdcard_r),3001(net_bt_admin),300 2(net_bt),3003(inet),3006(net_bw_stats),3009(readp roc) context=u:r:shell:s0

- Type
Code:
echo /data/local/tmp/systemroot/remount2.sh > /sys/kernel/uevent_helper
What it will look like:
echo /data/local/tmp/systemroot/remount2.sh > /sys/kernel/uevent_helper
(Again, it will be blank with a blinking cursor after you type the command in, move to next step)

- WAIT ABOUT 30 SECONDS BEFORE MOVING TO THE NEXT COMMAND

- Type "
Code:
mount
" (you should now see rw next to rootfs and system partitions)
What it will look like:
mount
(After we type in mount, we are looking for the below two items to say rw like they do in the next two lines)
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw,seclabel,size=1586716k,nr_inodes=396679)
/dev/block/sda19 on /system type ext4 (rw,seclabel,relatime)

- Type
Code:
sh /data/local/tmp/systemroot/root.sh
What it will look like:
sh /data/local/tmp/systemroot/root.sh
rm: /system/bin/install-recovery.sh: No such file or directory
cp: /system/bin/.ext/.su: No such file or directory
chmod: /system/bin/.ext/.su: No such file or directory
chcon: /system/bin/.ext/.su: No such file or directory
touch: '/data/.supersu': Permission denied
/data/local/tmp/systemroot/root.sh[55]: can't create /data/.supersu: Permission denied
chmod: /data/.supersu: No such file or directory

C:\Users\Thomas\Desktop\Minimal ADB and Fastboot\NEWSAMPWNDFILES>

5) If you followed all of the above commands to the T, your device will reboot and you will have SuperSU installed.
6) Install Flashfire from the Play Store.
7) Up to this point, you are on an ENG system.img with root that doesn't function the way we would like it to. This means you will feel a vibrate every time you try to gain SU access as well as it will take quite a while for an SU prompt. You can stay on this root if you would like to experiment with the ENG system, but outside of that I would HIGHLY recommend you proceed to the STEP 2 PROCESS.

PART 2 Instructions:

1) Download the PART 2 FILES listed below (this includes the system.img.ext4 and the add CSC Systemroot zip both provided courtesy of @jrkruse , view post #195 for specifics on what these are but essentially they are stock QD2 system.img and the zip has multi CSC, root, and a bunch of other goodies!)
2) Extract the System.img.ext4 zip and place that actual "system.img.ext4" onto the Internal SD Card (might work from external but some users have reported issues with chainfires root.zip and FF with external sd cards, this is not a fault of the SamPWND files/process.)
3) Place the entire Add CSC Systemroot zip onto Internal or Externdal SD Card (THIS FILE DOES NOT NEED TO BE UNZIPPED, THROW THE WHOLE ZIP FILE ONTO SD CARD OR INTERNAL)
4) Open Flashfire and grant it root when it prompts you. IF FLASHFIRE IS NOT LOADING FILES AND YOU JUST SEE A CIRCLE OR LIKE ITS CONSTANTLY LOADING, PUT THE PHONE IN AIRPLANE MODE AND THEN GO BACK INTO FLASHFIRE AND THE FILES SHOULD NOW APPEAR.
5) Press the + sign and select "Flash Firmware Package" & navigate to where you placed the system.img.ext4 and select it
6) Press the + sign and select "Flash ZIP or OTA" & navigate to where you placed the Add CSC Systemroot zip and select it, select Mount System as r/w
7) Press the + sign and select "Wipe" and select System data, 3rd party apps, Dalvik cache, Cache partiton, Cache Partiton format
8) Now, long press on "Wipe" and make sure it is on the top by dragging it. The order should be Wipe, Flash Firmware Package & finally Flash ZIP or OTA
9) Make sure the "Everoot" is disabled!
10) Flash away!

If you followed all of PART 1, then followed all of PART 2, then you will be updated to QD2, rooted with busybox (and have some other goodies) and the phone will be running great! Root will be stable and snappy as ever. Adaway, Root Checker, V4A etc. etc. are now all possible.

XDA:DevDB Information
S8 Plus SamPWND ROOT, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S8+

Contributors
elliwigy
ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
ROM Firmware Required: Android 7.0, Any Current Firmware
Based On: Stock Touchwiz

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1
Stable Release Date: 2017-08-19
Current Beta Version: 1
Beta Release Date: 2017-08-19

Created 2017-08-19
Last Updated 2017-08-19
The Following 224 Users Say Thank You to elliwigy For This Useful Post: [ View ]

19th August 2017, 10:20 AM |#2  
OP Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Phoenix

Donate to Me
More
DOWNLOADS SECTION:

PART 1 FILES:
SamPWND_Root.zip
https://mega.nz/#!8YcgTSwI!hIfbdJZ46...dthTPDmVwtv0dc

Initial ODIN 4 Files FIRMWARE
https://mega.nz/#!5cUjnCwK!Zgw5_CaIN...56Fa12ow-gppKA
Mirror: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=961840155545589828
AFH MD5: 73720c409782b751355b9443a003a6e8

Normal + Comsey ODIN
https://mega.nz/#!cFN2DD4C!I7AT4TgNS...hEC5qj2xD_qluM

Systemroot + ADB zip - OLD

PART 2 FILES: (Potentially will be providing a rom.zip soon that will have latest updated U1 with multi CSC pre-rooted with other goodies)
system.img.ext4
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=817550096634794132

Add CSC Systemroot
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120757028

For more info on these files please see @jrkruse post located here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=925

THANK HIM WHILE YOU'RE AT IT!
The Following 141 Users Say Thank You to elliwigy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2017, 10:57 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 63

Donate to Me
More
@elliwigy @Harry44 @akiraO1 @BotsOne
These months these four people are very hard, and I very relaxed!! lol
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to GSM CHEN For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GSM CHEN Ad-Free
19th August 2017, 11:06 AM |#4  
Flag ShenZhen
Thanks Meter: 30

Donate to Me
More
Cool Job!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bl4ckluna For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bl4ckluna Ad-Free
19th August 2017, 11:09 AM |#5  
Flag Phoenix

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSM CHEN

@elliwigy@Harry44@akiraO1@BotsOne
These months these four people are very hard, and I very relaxed!! lol

haha but we know it wouldnt be possible without you man
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to elliwigy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2017, 11:16 AM |#6  
Puyallup, WA
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Dam it, if I wasnt drunk, and tired, I eould vet myself out of bed and do this now, lol. Thanks for all your hard work.

One thing i would suggest would be to either put the commands that need to be typed in as bold face type or im not sure if its possible on here, as im on my phone atm, but there are Code/code tags avaiable that will make them easier to copy and paste.

Again, thanks for this......I did not think it was going to be possible. This will be my morning present when i wake up, feels like Xmas.......
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to theboz1419 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift theboz1419 Ad-Free
19th August 2017, 11:18 AM |#7  
Flag Phoenix

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz1419

Dam it, if I wasnt drunk, and tired, I eould vet myself out of bed and do this now, lol. Thanks for all your hard work.

One thing i would suggest would be to either put the commands that need to be typed in as bold face type or im not sure if its possible on here, as im on my phone atm, but there are Code/code tags avaiable that will make them easier to copy and paste.

Again, thanks for this......I did not think it was going to be possible. This will be my morning present when i wake up, feels like Xmas.......

to be honest its late haha, threw it together lol ill try to tidy it up when i get time lol
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to elliwigy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2017, 11:24 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1,338

More
Awesome can't wait to try this out soon!
The Following User Says Thank You to WelcomeToTheSkye For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift WelcomeToTheSkye Ad-Free
19th August 2017, 11:31 AM |#9  
Puyallup, WA
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliwigy

to be honest its late haha, threw it together lol ill try to tidy it up when i get time lol

You are forgiven, lol. I figured it would be out in the morning, just not this early in the morning.

You guys should have gotten some sleep you may need it after this weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to theboz1419 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift theboz1419 Ad-Free
19th August 2017, 11:37 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 436

More
What a nice thing to wake up to when I'm getting ready to head to work at 530 in the morning lol. Can't wait to give this a shot once I get off work 12 hours later. Thanks for everything devs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powerstroke For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift powerstroke Ad-Free
19th August 2017, 11:42 AM |#11  
Flag Greenville
Thanks Meter: 315

Donate to Me
More
S8 thread will be posted tomorrow, too late to do it tonight
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TimelessPWN For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TimelessPWN Ad-Free
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread