FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Edge notification and Whatsapp

142 posts
Thanks Meter: 28

By Amjad.AbdulGhani, Senior Member on 17th April 2017, 05:49 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So i have the device, and i have to admit, its one of the best devices that i have used since the (passed away) note7..
Now, one of the best features, that most of you who will get the device soon will notice, is the edge notification, which is a samsung designed minimal popup notification (peek preview).. You can easily Google it and you will know what am talking about. (just Google s8 edge notification)
Something doesn't add up, and i was hoping for someone now or in the near future to find a solution to it. This kind of notification supports third party applications (supports some of what am using), however, taking whatsapp as an example, when you enable the edge notification for always (both when screen is on and while on AOD) it works while the screen is on perfectly, but doesn't work while on AOD. Please note that from testing, this feature is working with few third party apps on the AOD.
I did few testings, the only way to make this minimal edge notification work for whatsapp while on AOD is to enable the pop-up notification in the app, but that will mean once you unlock the device, the pop up of whatsapp (app pop-up) will show up immediately and thats not what i want (very annoying).. I would like to add that i dont need to enable the whatsapp in app popup for edge notification to work while the screen is on.
Am not sure if there is a way of fixing this, but i thought i would put it here for other users to check it out and give us a feedback or a solution (it might be only me, you never know).
In advance, coz i know i will get this question, i got the device officially since few days coz i was an early bird in pre booking (UAE-Dubai) only 300 devices (or so) where officially released for early birds.. The rest will get it by 18th or 19th..

19th April 2017, 01:36 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amjad.AbdulGhani

So i have the device, and i have to admit, its one of the best devices that i have used since the (passed away) note7..
Now, one of the best features, that most of you who will get the device soon will notice, is the edge notification, which is a samsung designed minimal popup notification (peek preview).. You can easily Google it and you will know what am talking about. (just Google s8 edge notification)
Something doesn't add up, and i was hoping for someone now or in the near future to find a solution to it. This kind of notification supports third party applications (supports some of what am using), however, taking whatsapp as an example, when you enable the edge notification for always (both when screen is on and while on AOD) it works while the screen is on perfectly, but doesn't work while on AOD. Please note that from testing, this feature is working with few third party apps on the AOD.
I did few testings, the only way to make this minimal edge notification work for whatsapp while on AOD is to enable the pop-up notification in the app, but that will mean once you unlock the device, the pop up of whatsapp (app pop-up) will show up immediately and thats not what i want (very annoying).. I would like to add that i dont need to enable the whatsapp in app popup for edge notification to work while the screen is on.
Am not sure if there is a way of fixing this, but i thought i would put it here for other users to check it out and give us a feedback or a solution (it might be only me, you never know).
In advance, coz i know i will get this question, i got the device officially since few days coz i was an early bird in pre booking (UAE-Dubai) only 300 devices (or so) where officially released for early birds.. The rest will get it by 18th or 19th..

Can you specify which 3rd party apps work with the screen off? I can duplicate your observed behaviour. I am keen to get this working also.
19th April 2017, 10:09 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleekwen

Can you specify which 3rd party apps work with the screen off? I can duplicate your observed behaviour. I am keen to get this working also.

Yesterday the device received an update, included an update for the AOD, and so far, third party apps are now longer working as a popup while on AOD, will keep monitoring and will update here once i find an app that works (third party apps)..
Things that we need to consider when trying to understand why this is happening:
1- when u enabled the popup (in whatsapp app itself), then it works with the minimal samsung style while on AOD (could have something to do with the AOD reading notification in this case)
2- allll third party apps DO work with samsung style popup while the screen is on, means the AOD is actually able to read that notification and display it (convert it) to Samsung style, why don't samsung make that functional for 3rd party apps while on AOD.. Strange, though the option is there and enabled in the edge notification settings, and u have the choice to enable it for screen on only, AOD only, or both..
My hope is that in the near future, samsung will improve that.. An update maybe (crossing fingers)..
19th April 2017, 11:58 AM |#4  

More
The pop-up like whatsapp does it is what is needed - I am tweaking my app *Augmented smartwatch Pro) to add this support. I will post a link to APK here. It is effectively a proxy app for notifications and it works for all apps! I will post a free version ( I sell it in app store). Now if I could only change the colour of the light

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Quote:

The pop-up like whatsapp does it is what is needed - I am tweaking my app *Augmented smartwatch Pro) to add this support. I will post a link to APK here. It is effectively a proxy app for notifications and it works for all apps! I will post a free version ( I sell it in app store). Now if I could only change the colour of the light

Here is the https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...pp-release.apk

For whatsapp you need to do the following for whatsapp (will work for any 3rd party app if you enable)

enable notification access for augmentedsmartwatchpro (lock screen -> other security settings -> notification access) in samsung settings
in augmented smartwatch (ASP) enable in preferences
phone options -> show notifications on phone -> set to text view
optimized notifications -> enable whatsapp

that's it. it should work (only when screen is off). note AOD is not needed to be enabled. The pop up by ASP automatically disappears after @ 5 seconds (so when you turn on the phone it is gone). No need to set this in whatsapp!
Yes the app is complex - and it does much more

let me know if you get it to work!
Adrian

PS - yes I know it is a paid app on market - but this version I have not updated to market - it is optimized for Android 7 and fixes a lot of bugs - so consider this informal beta testing
PPS - for those that have concerns I have developed this app over the past few years before smart watches were popular. Nothing is sent to the cloud (unless you enable pushover for going tablet to phone). I take privacy and security very seriously. Also in this version there is Tesla support - one day I will update my blog ....
19th April 2017, 08:13 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 474

More
I really don't like the new popup... I wish we could have the edge light plus the normal Android popup...

Btw, the edge notification doesn't work for Facebook messenger if I saw right...
20th April 2017, 12:20 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPr0metheus

I really don't like the new popup... I wish we could have the edge light plus the normal Android popup...

Btw, the edge notification doesn't work for Facebook messenger if I saw right...

Yes the only way to trigger the pop up is to show one (which automatically goes away after 4 seconds).
For FB Messenger - it needs to be enabled under All other notifications -> messenger and enable it.

It seems to work for me but it is not "optimized' to eliminate non-messages like I do for whatsapp, but you can manually apply global filters to filter out.
20th April 2017, 12:43 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 474

More
Quote:

Yes the only way to trigger the pop up is to show one (which automatically goes away after 4 seconds).
For FB Messenger - it needs to be enabled under All other notifications -> messenger and enable it.

It seems to work for me but it is not "optimized' to eliminate non-messages like I do for whatsapp, but you can manually apply global filters to filter out.

Trying your app now. It's not easy to understand 😂

Cannot make it work on messenger... still no edge notification just normal android pop up...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
20th April 2017, 11:23 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPr0metheus

Trying your app now. It's not easy to understand

Cannot make it work on messenger... still no edge notification just normal android pop up...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Note it will only work if the screen is OFF (not on). AOD can be enabled or disabled.
If it still doesn't work - can you download the updated version and open the app and post what the screen shows - it should confirms things are configured correctly.

thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)