FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

BOUNTY THREAD: Snapdragon USA Variants of S8 and S8+ (G950U/G955U)

9,792 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,737

By elliwigy, Recognized Contributor on 29th April 2017, 02:03 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello all!

This is my first bounty thread created so if by any means I am missing anything, in the wrong forum, or this is not allowed (MODS) please PM me before infracting!

As we all know, the international variant (of course) has already been unlocked with custom recovery (TWRP).

This thread is a bounty thread for the USA Snapdragon variants of the S8 and S8+.

This includes but not limited to said devices on TMO, ATT, SPR and VZW.

As we all know all the US variants have the SAME model numbers.

There is a USERDATA partition that appears to be carrier specific but outside of this the stock TAR is the same and flashable to any US variant within the US.

There is also (so far) a factory binary firmware for each variant (S8/S8+)

So far we have achieved PERMISSIVE selinux on stock firmware. This factory binary can also help in repairing IMEI, DRK, FRP bypass etc. IF you know what you are doing.

Requirements to obtain bounty:

S8/S8+:

1. Full Root that sticks after a reboot
2. Files/Instructions for the end user to achieve said root.
3. At least 5 users/testers OTHER THAN those involved in the original process have used said method and verify successfuly rooting their device.
4. Work is original and collaborated and not taken from another user without their consent.
5. Root is maintaned even after a full reboot (i.e.perm root, temp root is not sufficient.)
6. Method (once achieved) is shared free of charge on XDA.
7. Proper credits are given to those involved in the process.
8. Similar files/process are also applicable for BOTH VARIANTS ( S8 & S8+.) With both devices being very similar, if an ENG or DEBUG firm etc. is leaked we would receive a version for each device.
9. *** FOR BL BOUNTIES, ABOVE REQUIREMENTS WITH FULLY WORKING TWRP RECOVERY

EDIT* There will be 4 separate bounties within this thread. All will have above requirements (BL Unlock and fully working TWRP Recovery is ONLY required for TWRP bounties). 2 will be for the S8 (G950U) and the other 2 for S8+ (G955U).

If you find a method for perm root on both devices at once, you will get BOTH BOUNTIES.

ANY USER WHO SPENDS MONEY TO PURCHASE LEAKED FIRMWARE SUCH AS ENG OR DEBUG THAT DIRECTLY LINKS TO PERMANENTLY ROOTING EITHER OR BOTH DEVICES WILL GET THE FIRST PAYMENTS TO REIMBURSE MONEY SPENT TO PURCHASE SAID FIRMWARE.

The rest will be divied up between those responsible for the perm root.

In order for devs attempting root and to achieve bounty you must join Hangouts group by pming me for an invite. This way we know FOR CERTAIN who is responsible for purchasing firmwares and/or putting in the work to get us perm root so we can know who the bounties go to.

If any mods would like to be in the HO to moderate and/or monitor legitimacy are welcome to join.

DONATIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED. THIS IS A BOUNTY THREAD. YOU PROMISE A CONTRIBUTION, WE HOPE YOU KEEP YOUR WORD AND PAY OUT IF ABOVE CONDITIONS ARE MET. THIS BOUNTY IS FOR PERM ROOT, UNLOCKED BL IS NOT AN EXPECTATION BUT WOULD BE MORE THAN WELCOME IF IT OCCURS.

If the bounty is satisfied, we will determine at that point in time where to donate the funds via paypal. Funds will most likely be sent to a mod or myself and then divided/provided to those who earned it.

THE PURPOSE OF THE HANGOUTS IS NOT ONLY TO ENSURE LEGITIMACY AND KNOWING WHO IS DOING WHAT FOR BOUNTY PURPOSES, IT IS ALSO TO GET US WORKING TOGETHER AND HAVE A MORE 'REAL TIME' MEANS OF COMMUNICATING AND TO HOPEFULLY SPEED UP THE PROCESS.

ROOT FOR THE S8 AND S8+ HAS BEEN ACHIEVED! CHECK OUT THE DEVELOPMENT SECTION FOR EACH DEVICE FOR THE ROOT THREADS! FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO MADE PLEDGES OR DIDN'T MAKE PLEDGES FOR ROOT AND ARE SATISFIED WITH THE ROOT, YOU CAN DONATE TO MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT AND THE BOUNTY WILL BE DISPERSED BETWEEN THE 4 CONTRIBUTORS! MY PAYPAL LINK IS IN MY PROFILE/SIG OR MY PAYPAL EMAIL IS elliwigy1@live.com
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to elliwigy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift elliwigy Ad-Free

29th April 2017, 02:45 PM |#2  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Phoenix

Donate to Me
More
Disclaimer:

Keep in mind that the reasoning behind a bounty thread is not to get paid. It is to encourage devs who might be interested in getting paid for their hard work and/or using the money to donate to a good cause. Most devs I have had the luck to work with are not in it for the money. It is either a hobby of theirs or they simply want to use their device as they wish that unfortunately is limited by Samsung and Carriers by locking down the devices more and more as smartphones evolve.

Hopefully for any reasons this bounty will encourage capable devs to work with and together to achieve what (at this moment in time) seems impossible and provide the small community (us rooters are a small <1% of cell phone users) the ability to use root to fulfill our imaginations from custom ROMS to audio mods to even the simple things like remapping the Bixby button after Samsung comes up with a clever patch to block it.

We are a community, we need to work together to keep this community alive when OEMS and carriers try to shut us down! We are OPEN SOURCE, we OWN our devices and WE ARE XDA!
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to elliwigy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift elliwigy Ad-Free
29th April 2017, 02:45 PM |#3  
Flag Phoenix

Donate to Me
More
THANKS TO @benmeroff FOR UPDATING THE BOUNTY AMOUNTS!

S8 Root Only TOTAL: $360

$50 - asfau
$50 - benmeroff
$40 - drew272011
$40 - Dsm2173
$40 - Andrewbud
$35 - XBlackChaosX
$20 - TMadd
$20 - whitedragon33
$20 - SD_N
$15 - bradk_1749
$10 - Silenus21
$10 - Nurmi_CEO
$10 - anewday

S8 Root + BL Unlock TOTAL: $480

$200 - benmeroff
$100 - asfau
$100 - SD_N
$50 - jimbob_sf
$20 - ILikeJuice
$10 - Nurmi_CEO

S8+ Root Only TOTAL: $1,545

$125 - swick1981
$100 - greatnesstx
$60 - harry44
$50 - briancotton84
$50 - epicroot
$50 - wutangkillabee
$50 - Aegis1973
$50 - Robbie Doo
$50 - Robbdreality
$50 - LinS123
$50 - josue85
$50 - indrajeetkhater
$50 - rhewins2268
$50 - Root-Maniac
$50 - Sxmsung
$40 - johnsgone
$40 - pjgraber03
$25 - happy2472
$25 - muppetmaster916
$25 - ait1071
$25 - datoad
$25 - JesseTron
$25 - Branski81
$20 - dogredwing1
$20 - symphony0flife
$20 - alexdr1
$20 - oskr7
$20 - TechBSwift
$20 - thebigeasy88
$20 - juicepants
$20 - jesseone
$20 - bladerunner
$20 - voxluna
$20 - droidx2.3.3
$20 - swarwick784
$20 - smithfolk4
$20 - hazmad
$20 - klm2349
$20 - airplane_guy
$20 - josenoel
$20 - rtm2017
$20 - kcb2627
$20 - defnub
$20 - prostreetcamaro
$10 - hinds90

S8+ Root + BL Unlock TOTAL: $2,835

$350 - swick1981
$100 - epicroot
$100 - daddymatt
$100 - indrajeetkhater
$100 - symphony0flife
$100 - TechBSwift
$100 - harry44
$100 - undertaker21
$100 - foeshigity
$100 - hindutool
$80 - smithfolk4
$60 - johnsgone
$50 - Salval
$50 - vektorious
$50 - Root-Maniac
$50 - hazmad
$50 - bryancotton84
$50 - jawonder
$50 - lilrich17892
$50 - rhewins2268
$50 - polaric
$50 - synn420
$50 - wutangkillabee
$40 - thebigeasy88
$40 - juicepants
$40 - jabbadajake
$40 - bladerunner
$40 - jpl2589
$40 - synn420
$40 - the_ozone
$40 - pjgraber03
$25 - datoad
$25 - dbizzy
$25 - happy2472
$25 - powerstroke
$25 - muckrak3r
$20 - Cozzeck
$20 - live2playloud
$20 - olvap377
$20 - teammike
$20 - jedimyndtrix
$20 - leifyguy
$20 - Wiseor
$20 - MicroMod777
$20 - klm2349
$20 - force70
$20 - dwertz
$20 - simplynando
$20 - seguil2010
$20 - buttsak
$20 - coldconfession13
$20 - unitz0mbie
$20 - ArcticGaming
$20 - order_66
$20 - voxluna
$20 - swarwick784
$20 - jsanta11
$20 - rtm2017
$20 - ronj1986
10$ - sad alien

*update starting page 48
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to elliwigy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift elliwigy Ad-Free
29th April 2017, 03:12 PM |#4  
Flag Phoenix

Donate to Me
More
UPDATES:

- We have managed to flash the Factory Binary Firmware (for S8 and S8+) using Prince Comsey latest ODIN.
- This firmware does in fact bypass frp/Google lock for me anyways. I have also researched similar firmware for s6/s6e ands7 devices and they state you should be able to repair imei, fix DRK, FRP bypass etc. utilizing this firmware.
- We found a way to change debug level on factory firmware.
- We managed to flash permissive kernel from factory binary firmware onto stock AP/Stock firmware so we can now boot stock with permissive.
- We found an interesting mode called Samsung Upload mode which we are doing more research on.
- So far we have not got anywhere outside of whats listed.
- XDA users appear to be searching for ENG firmware and/or actual DEBUG firmware.
- So far the OEM UNLOCK on binary firm does not actually unlock the BL.
- On stock as well as on factory binary firmware the BL/Download mode remaims in "Secure Download" and"Secure Boot" enabled and since BL remains locked, we cannot flash unsigned tars/partitions so TWRP is a no go so far

THERE IS ONLY 2 SAMSUNG OWNERS (ONE S8 AND ONE S8+ USER) IN THE HANGOUTS THREAD. WE ALSO HAVE 2 FELLOW XDA MEMBERS THAT WERE AFFILIATED AND/OR DIRECTLY CREATED DIRTY SANTA ON THE V20 DEVICES FOR IDEAS.

WE NEED MORE DEVS TO JOIN IN! IF YOU HAVE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT SAMSUNG, ANDROID, SELINUX ETC. AND OWN A S8/S8+ OR SIMPLY WANT TO HELP PLEASE SEND ME A PM TO GET AN INVITE TO HANGOUTS!
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to elliwigy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift elliwigy Ad-Free
29th April 2017, 03:12 PM |#5  
Flag Melbourne fl
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Pledge 20 $ tmobile s8
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drew272011 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drew272011 Ad-Free
29th April 2017, 03:19 PM |#6  
Flag Phoenix

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew272011

Pledge 20 $ tmobile s8

it is not carrier specific since model numbers are the same for dvery variant but I will put you down for S8,

thanks for getting this started! hopefully we can explode and get root sooner than later!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elliwigy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift elliwigy Ad-Free
29th April 2017, 03:21 PM |#7  

More
I'd throw in $20 for the S8.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TMadd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TMadd Ad-Free
29th April 2017, 03:24 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1,314

More
Again as I said on the S7e forums this should be a bounty to unlock the bootloader not just get root. Otherwise you are just going to get engineering kernel root (which blows) and is basically not usable. Also no custom ROMs without the bootloader unlocked.

Please change the OP to Root+Bootloader unlock so this phone can get properly hacked.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ShrekOpher For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ShrekOpher Ad-Free
29th April 2017, 03:24 PM |#9  
Flag Phoenix

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMadd

I'd throw in $20 for the S8.

you the man! I cant help but imagine how amazing this phome would be rooted...
The Following User Says Thank You to elliwigy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift elliwigy Ad-Free
29th April 2017, 03:29 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliwigy

you the man! I cant help but imagine how amazing this phome would be rooted...

Honestly I just want to be able to skip media tracks with a long-press of the volume buttons while the screen is off. I'd pay $20 just for that lol. From what I've found, there is no perfect, non-root solution. It's a cakewalk with root though. But, I have to imagine development for this device is going to explode before long.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMadd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TMadd Ad-Free
29th April 2017, 03:34 PM |#11  
Flag Phoenix

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrekOpher

Again as I said on the S7e forums this should be a bounty to unlock the bootloader not just get root. Otherwise you are just going to get engineering kernel root (which blows) and is basically not usable. Also no custom ROMs without the bootloader unlocked.

Please change the OP to Root+Bootloader unlock so this phone can get properly hacked.

I definitely understand where you are coming from.. an unlocked BL is definitely the ultimate goal but unfortunately its a lot more difficult to achieve than root.. ultimately I would hope the root bounty is achieved by unlocking the BL but that is a long shot unless we somehow come across full debug firmware that is unlocked by default and signed by Samsung (similar to the V20).

We can do a lot with simply full root such as custom stock roms likeHyperdrive, xtrestolite, Clean rom or even my own roms Extreme Syndicate..

We can have mods similar to alliance framework and 3minit, v4a and true debloating etc. by simply having root..

I also feel root is the first step in working towards the ultimate goal in unlocking the BL but we should take one step at a time and potentially get lucky in the process..

I also fear ifI include an unlocked BL as a requirement and someone manages FULL ROOT then ppl will not pay upsince the unlockedbl requirement would not be met.. hopefully you understandandagain, you are not required to make a pledge, i see where youre coming from as i am coming from a vs995 with unlockedBL, twrp and a fully awesome device in its own right and would of course LOVE that on my s8+.. i just want bpunty to be reasonable andfair and achievable
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)