FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to change the DPI (no root)

463 posts
Thanks Meter: 134

By Pawnty, Senior Member on 19th April 2017, 06:49 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm not sure how widely known this is, but it's possible to change the DPI of your new phone if (like me) you find that everything is too big. It's super easy too.

1. Go to About Phone > Software Info and tap the Build number 7ish times to unlock the developer options menu.
2. Back out to settings, enter the Developer options menu now at the bottom of the list.
3. Scroll down until you find the Minimum width setting in the Drawing section about 3/4 of the way down. It's set to 411dp by default on the S8+.
4. Change it to whatever you prefer! Higher number = everything gets smaller, Lower number = everything gets bigger.

Enjoy your extra space!
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Pawnty For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pawnty Ad-Free

21st April 2017, 10:56 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Awesome.. one problem.. keyboard looks wierd after changing width
The Following User Says Thank You to Pareshj For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pareshj Ad-Free
21st April 2017, 11:04 AM |#3  
Flag Bryne
Thanks Meter: 8

More
If the keyboard looks weird.. Go up on DPI because its breaking up the design.
Im at 460 on highest resolution. And its not breaking that.
21st April 2017, 07:24 PM |#4  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iminzil

If the keyboard looks weird.. Go up on DPI because its breaking up the design.
Im at 460 on highest resolution. And its not breaking that.

Is your AOD centered (if you have it enabled)? I set my S8 to 420 and the AOD was slightly skewed to the right. Tried pushing it down to 411, which I guess is default on the S8+ and it re-centered the AOD. I'm assuming there are various 'accepted' DPI settings that won't break the layout; I think somebody listed them for the Pixel on Reddit, but I can't find a similar listing for the S8. Any ideas?
21st April 2017, 09:33 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by seangrimes590

Is your AOD centered (if you have it enabled)? I set my S8 to 420 and the AOD was slightly skewed to the right. Tried pushing it down to 411, which I guess is default on the S8+ and it re-centered the AOD. I'm assuming there are various 'accepted' DPI settings that won't break the layout; I think somebody listed them for the Pixel on Reddit, but I can't find a similar listing for the S8. Any ideas?

I also noticed it not being centered after changing the DPI, and what's worse after setting it back to 411 it's still not centered
22nd April 2017, 01:01 AM |#6  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 131

More
I'm at 480 and it's great. My aod is centered, but isn't it supposed to move a little very slowly to prevent burn in?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m3lover1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift m3lover1 Ad-Free
22nd April 2017, 03:49 AM |#7  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3lover1

I'm at 480 and it's great. My aod is centered, but isn't it supposed to move a little very slowly to prevent burn in?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Indeed, feels like something I should have remembered. Thanks for pointing that out.
The Following User Says Thank You to seangrimes590 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift seangrimes590 Ad-Free
22nd April 2017, 11:16 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 848

More
I am at 576.
Aod is centered but obviously small.
I use SwiftKey for keyboard and Nova launcher. Hence do not see any other issues
Increased font size and bold font so that I can read stuff better. I

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Techvir For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Techvir Ad-Free
22nd April 2017, 12:12 PM |#9  
Flag Bottrop
Thanks Meter: 16

More
I'm on 425 und I love it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bautinho88 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bautinho88 Ad-Free
22nd April 2017, 02:53 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1,381

More
449 for me. Been using it since S7e lollipop Beta. No issues I also use nova
The Following User Says Thank You to ShrekOpher For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ShrekOpher Ad-Free
22nd April 2017, 03:38 PM |#11  
Columbus
Thanks Meter: 151

More
500 here w/ all apps full-screen, bold font just a shade above tiny. So glad this is able to be done w/o root, along w/ multi window for any app!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)