S8+ UK EE Firmware (EVR) over BTU - i did it and it works

Search This thread

Gubro

Aug 16, 2008
London
Hello,
I am new to the Samsung world.
I bought an S8+ DS with SIN CSC.
Since I am on EE, I thought I flash the EVR fw on it to get VoLTE and WiFi calling.
I have Odin 3.2.17 and G955FXXU1AQH3 on my computer.
Do I have to re/partition? Which CSC do I flash? The CSC or the homeCSC?
I understand this will not trigger knox, so the Samsung Pay should remain active.
Thanks

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Update: thanks, all sorted.

Incarniac

Aug 16, 2008
London
Anyone got any ideas why a Amazon.IT bought phone flashed with EE H3 UK firmware (AP, BL, CP and CSC) wouldn't allow WiFi calling or VoIP? I can select WiFi calling in the dialler but it doesn't work!
As far as I know there is no such thing as an "EE H3 UK" firmware -- H3 is Three UK and EE is, well, EE UK and each have their own firmware. To get working Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE you'll need the correct firmware (though primarily only the CSC) so if you're with EE you'll need the EVR CSC and for Three you'll need the H3G CSC. You should be able to flash the HOME_CSC file for this to retain user data and settings, although this may not work if you're not already on the correct firmware/CSC (it may require a full wipe & re-setup from factory defaults).

---------- Post added at 00:39 ---------- Previous post was at 00:33 ----------

Getting an issue with it failing putting on the newest firmware with older CSC. G955FXXU1AQI7

Annoying, I hope that it either gets fixed with the XEU firmware or we will need another method to do this.

Failure is something to do with an ASKS token.

Been too busy in the past few months then on holiday for a few weeks, so haven't tried this for a while.

Today I got a notification on my phone there is an update available for EE (EVR AQJ1 CSC + AQJ5 firmware) which I've just installed. This was released end of November by the look of it (available on updato.com). Just installed this via the phone update functionality just fine, but not tried the December / AQK7 updates with the latest EVR CSC so can't comment on whether that works yet or not.

Reactions: buzzboy

Incarniac

Aug 16, 2008
London
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but an update: Did this using Oreo firmwares and it works just as well. AP, CP and BL from DBT's G955FXXU1CRD7, with HOME_CSC from EVR's G955FXXU1CRB7 using Odin 3.13.1. VoLTE present and working (which is what requires the EVR CSC to work. I had already upgraded to Oreo using EE's official update (CRB7).

lynxblaine

Oct 22, 2010
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but an update: Did this using Oreo firmwares and it works just as well. AP, CP and BL from DBT's G955FXXU1CRD7, with HOME_CSC from EVR's G955FXXU1CRB7 using Odin 3.13.1. VoLTE present and working (which is what requires the EVR CSC to work. I had already upgraded to Oreo using EE's official update (CRB7).

Just to note stock XEU firmware CRC7 onwards has volte built into it. No need for EVR firmware.

Reactions: Incarniac

lynxblaine

Oct 22, 2010
I'm

Well I've just installed it and it's not there on mine

How does your software look in settings?

A bit of background, I was on XEU during the beta firmware, afterwards I put the CRB firmware from DBT on and then CRC7 from XEU on again without wiping. I never had voLTE until then.

Have a look under settings > mobile networks > 4G calling

What carrier are you on?

Mine looks like this:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180501-061552_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180501-061552_Settings.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

fridaycider

Aug 10, 2009
How does your software look in settings?

A bit of background, I was on XEU during the beta firmware, afterwards I put the CRB firmware from DBT on and then CRC7 from XEU on again without wiping. I never had voLTE until then.

Have a look under settings > mobile networks > 4G calling

What carrier are you on?

Mine looks like this:

It wasn't there on install but I had a software update . Only a small one and then it appeared .

alexcazacu01

Jun 30, 2018
I have a Galaxy S9+ (single SIM), unlocked bought directly from Samsung website(BTU firmware). I'm on EE and really wanted to use the VoLTE service.
To enable I downloaded the latest firmware BTU and EVR from Sammobile website and first flashed all the files from EVR
(BL, AP, CP, CSC NOT Home_CSC! .After restart I flashed again with the BTU files but just BL, AP, CP and NO CSC!
All works fine, latest BTU firmware with the EE CSC and VoLTE and VoWIFI works fine!
Probably OTA updates are disabled but I can still do it this way next time without losing any data. By the way, I did not touch the re-partition settings in Odin, it remains disabled.

Incarniac

Aug 16, 2008
London
I have a Galaxy S9+ (single SIM), unlocked bought directly from Samsung website(BTU firmware). I'm on EE and really wanted to use the VoLTE service.
To enable I downloaded the latest firmware BTU and EVR from Sammobile website and first flashed all the files from EVR
(BL, AP, CP, CSC NOT Home_CSC! .After restart I flashed again with the BTU files but just BL, AP, CP and NO CSC!
All works fine, latest BTU firmware with the EE CSC and VoLTE and VoWIFI works fine!
Probably OTA updates are disabled but I can still do it this way next time without losing any data.
Yeah, I'm doing the same on my S9+ now with EE and latest DBT currently, but this is the S8+ forum :) Have a look in the Official Stock Firmware Thread in the S9+ Guides, News, & Discussion forum.

By the way, I did not touch the re-partition settings in Odin, it remains disabled.
The (non-home) CSC contains the partition (PIT) file and it will repartition regardless of the setting. The HOME_CSC doesn't contain the partition file and won't repartition unless you tick the re-partition setting - as far as I am aware that's the only difference between the two CSC files and the reason why you don't lose user data when flashing HOME_CSC.

alexcazacu01

Jun 30, 2018
Hi Incarniac,
So if a new update comes for BTU and I flash to the phone the AP BL CP but nothing to csc it will work and I don't loose data, right?
Do the EVR csc need to be updated ever if it will be any updates for it?
Thank you!

Incarniac

Aug 16, 2008
London
Hi Incarniac,
So if a new update comes for BTU and I flash to the phone the AP BL CP but nothing to csc it will work and I don't loose data, right?
Thank you!
I don't leave the CSC field empty, I always flash the latest available EVR HOME_CSC (even if that mens re-flashing the same HOME_CSC I'm currently using), and don't lose user data. I grab EVR firmware updates when they arrive and use the latest HOME_CSC with AP, BL and CP from usually BTU, XEU or DBT (depending on which is the latest version, usually quite a bit ahead of EVR).

(This is an S8+ thread, let's take this to the S9+ forums, linked above. On the S8+ now you can just flash CSC/HOME_CSC from XEU and get VoLTE on EE as they removed the restriction of requiring the EVR CSC for that.)

Reactions: alexcazacu01

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just a heads up for anyone thinking of flashing the EVR firmware onto their unlocked BTU phone to get VoLTE working on EE. I did it and it using the firmware from sam mobile and it worked. i did tick repartition and flashed, BL AP CP CSC as i wasn't worried about losing anything, so can't comment on if that is a mandatory option. Anyway, i now have VoLTE icon in the status bar working fine, and wifi calling is still there and working (as it was on BTU).

The only thing other than VoLTE i've noticed is they bundles some security software (the name of which escapes me, the phone is at home).
    I will do some testing on my phone today with flashing the EVR CSC, if you do flash all XEU with the EVR CSC it will definitely work, its just about whether a wipe is required or not
    Odin kept failing it pretty much straight away..... I wanted to do it that way so I didn't lose any data, as I know from what you said just flashing CSC (not the home version) doesn't retain your data.

So my question is, how do you get it work then - ie retaining your data when you flash? In the end I had to flash the standard CSC (not HOME_CSC) to get it to work. Is it because I mixed BTU with EVR - I see you didn't do that - you mixed DBT with EVR and that worked for you. I had the re-partition option enabled at the start, maybe I shouldn't have done that....?

I'm pretty sure @Arzee08 is hitting the nail on the head about not having re-partitioning enabled: I don't have this on when updating this way.

I think the reason it fails when flashing BTU + EVR CSC with re-partitioning is that EE's partition layout is a little different and requires one of the partitions to be a little larger, or the CSC won't flash - and doing this makes it pick up the BTU partition layout. The EE partition layout works fine with full BTU/XEU firmware so once the full EE has been flashed (with re-partitioning) there's no need to re-partition again

I did flash full EE with re-partitioning a few months ago just after getting the phone, but not since) - partly because I suspect/suspected the partition layout might impact things (I could be wrong on that, but on the Note 4 it was the case) but mainly because I needed to flash the full EE firmware to verify that VoLTE was working before trying to mix and match so I had something to compare to.

So, in short, I do:
    • AP, BL and CP from latest DBT
    • HOME_CSC from the EE's latest EVR (doesn't have to match version with the above)
    • No re-partitioning, with (as far as I remember) all Odin options set to default

This works without issues for me and retains VoLTE and keeps apps, data and settings (i.e. no factory reset). I chose DBT purely because it tends to be (one of) the first available, and as mentioned in previous posts the only difference between updates for the exact same version number between carriers is CSC and HOME_CSC (since verified for EE with the latest EE updates).

PS also what's the benefit of mixing the DBT and EVR flash.... I'm assuming you won't get automatic updates? So why not just have all 4 EVR firmware files rather than mix...? Would be grateful for your comments! :)

As @Arzee08, the benefit is purely speed of update. You're correct that you won't get automatic updates: It gives me the latest update as soon as possible, while keeping carrier specific functionality (VoLTE, Wi-Fi Calling).

To be fair to EE, they seem to have sped up their updates for the S8+ and have released both the June update (though it was in July) and the July update (though it was in August) in full EE firmware version, so they've not been too bad. Prior to this they had not released any update since the very first EE firmware that shipped on their phones in April/May.
    Official firmware won't trigger knox.
    Hi Incarniac,
    Thank you!
    I don't leave the CSC field empty, I always flash the latest available EVR HOME_CSC (even if that mens re-flashing the same HOME_CSC I'm currently using), and don't lose user data. I grab EVR firmware updates when they arrive and use the latest HOME_CSC with AP, BL and CP from usually BTU, XEU or DBT (depending on which is the latest version, usually quite a bit ahead of EVR).

(This is an S8+ thread, let's take this to the S9+ forums, linked above. On the S8+ now you can just flash CSC/HOME_CSC from XEU and get VoLTE on EE as they removed the restriction of requiring the EVR CSC for that.)