FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

3rd Party DeX adaptors/docks list

9 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By KSlith, Junior Member on 27th November 2017, 12:59 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm compiling a list of Type-C Adaptors that have been rumored or shown to support DeX mode. Share what devices you've seen doing it below, bonus points for video proof. EDIT: I'd share links to these things directly, but XDA limits links for freshies, and I refuse to post anything if I'm not being helpful so this'll have to do.

If you already have a Type-C dock that someone has said at some point launches DeX mode, but it doesn't initiate DeX mode when you plug it in, try a few troubleshooting ideas from the next post, it may just work after all.

SMOS DeX Station (Available on Amazon, $56)
Working Proof: YES Youtube: V54NJwB3f00
Features. 2x USB 2.0, HDMI Out, Type-C Power Input
Notes: OLDER MODELS MAY NOT WORK AFTER ANDROID OREO UPDATE, SAMSUNG PURPOSEFULLY PATCHED TO PREVENT THIS ONE FROM WORKING!
supposedly perfect functionality, stands up the phone and supposedly works flawlessly with cases. not much to talk about here as the mainstream alternative everyone already knows about.

Melopow Dex Station for Samsung Galaxy S8 S8 Plus Note8 (AKA Mellow/Mello M002, Available Via Amazon, $25, search "Melopow DeX M002")
Working Proof: YES , User Testimonials , Youtube video, and Amazon user reviews. YT: 84sOHCWd6DA
Features: 1x USB 3.1, HDMI Out, Type-C Power Input
Notes:
Rocketek-like clone with the highest success report rate but flimsy cable, if you are going to get a clone and don't mind reinforcing the cable yourself, this is the clone you probably want. Attach power first.

WDLAND USB C Hub, 7 in 1 (Available via Amazon, $33)
Working Proof: YES , User Testimonials
Features: 2x USB 2.0, 1x USB3.1 Type-A, HDMI, SD/TF reader, Type-C or Thunderbolt Power Input
Notes:
Attach power first, Note8 confirmed NEEDS a quick charge power supply, may also need quick charge supply for S8/S8+ if using more than 2 peripherals at the same time.

KSWNG Portable Dock for Nintendo Switch (Available on Amazon, $20)
Working Proof: YES , User Testimonial and Amazon user review photos
Notes:
Rocketek-like clone with high success rate, still works after Oreo update, Note8 may need a High-Amp power supply to enter DeX mode with this dock, S8&S8+ work fine. Power MUST be attached BEFORE docking your device! May also require formatting your device before use, but only 2 instances of this have been reported. Like it's other Rocketek brothers, these are FRAGILE.

Rocketek USB-C HDMI Hub (Available on Amazon, $25.99)
Working Proof: YES Youtube: EzlIYUnuJ5c
Notes:
Durability is an well known issue for this and it's brethren, this variant is not recommended for areas with erratic voltage, Built-in cable, DeX mode on these is supposedly fully functional !when the unit itself works!, but I've only ever seen it used without power.

ZYNUN USB Type C HDMI (Available on Amazon, $30)
Working Proof: YES , User Testimonial
Features: 2x USB 3.1, HDMI, Type-C power input, Fold-Away cable
Notes:
Attach power first, May always require quick charger, may only need for Note8.

Wofalodata Type C to HDMI Adapter for Nintendo Switch/Samsung Galaxy S8/Note 8 (Available via Amazon, Search "Wofalodata", $59)
Working Proof: YES Youtube: s5xYe9N7how
Features: 3x USB 3.1, HDMI Out, Type-C power Input
Notes:
Fold Away Cable, Built-In cable, reviews suggest you CANNOT power this one during DeX mode, but all 3 USB ports work. (just speculation, but it might JUST need a simple modification to charge while using DeX, depends on if the Type-C port on a real DeX can be used with a OTG adapter for an additional device)

C-Force CF-001 and CF-002 (aka C-Force TAS) (Available via Amazon, $60-$80 depending on vendor)
Working Proof: NO, OUNTDATED RUMORS ONLY
Rumor Details: Discussed lightly in the main DeX Thread at https://forum.xda-developers.com/gal...-dex-t3593828/
Features: (CF-001) 2x USB 3.1, 2x USB Type-C Data Input, HDMI Out, Type-C Power Input.
(CF-002) 1x USB 3.1, HDMI Out, Type-C Power IN
Notes: These supposedly work perfectly with power, USB, and HDMI in DeX mode, but still need power attached to the device, don't own one myself but 5 users' recommendation makes it worth checking out.

C-Force CF-003 (Ebay and Taobao ONLY for now, $50-80 depending on vendor)
Working Proof: NO, Manufacturer Claim ONLY
Notes:
I've got VERY little information on these beyond the claim that they launch DeX mode, don't own one myself, and don't have any testimonials to the effect. if someone has the cash to pick one up and share if it works and how well it works the lot of us would appreciate it.

If I disappear for more than a week (unlikely, I have XDALabs installed for notifications but I've been known to lurk hard) I give moderators permission to take over or replace the thread.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KSlith For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KSlith Ad-Free

29th November 2017, 10:34 AM |#2  
OP Junior Member
Flag Chico, CA

More
HEADS UP: Samsung has to specifically patch out certain 3rd party docks for updates to affect them, Only older SMOS docks have been patched out in the Oreo update thus far, but newer SMOS docks supposedly ship with that fixed.

Troubleshooting:

Note8 devices NEED a quick-charge power supply in order to enter DeX mode consistently.
This may also apply to S8 and S8+ phones with a large number of apps and/or games installed, or users with high power peripherals attached such as full size mechanical keyboards, gaming keyboards, high-gain wireless adaptors, or other smartphone.

Battery cases may prevent ANY dock from working properly, if you are using a battery case, start by removing it from your phone.

Some docks will not work without a 2A charger attached no matter what, others only work without power attached, try both and unplug your device from the dock between attempts.

If you are using some type of HDMI switch and the dock doesn't work, try plugging it directly into your TV instead, this is a surprisingly common cause that goes undiagnosed.

You may need to dock your phone into a REAL DeX or another already working 3rd party dock at least once for it to work on certain 3rd party docks, if none of the previous solutions worked and you can get access to one, try this before moving on. (Best Buy stores and some Boutiques may have a DeX setup by their galaxy devices for demonstration)

As a LAST resort you may have to format your device once before docking with a 3rd party dock for the first time. BACKUP YOUR DATA TO A SEPARATE LOCATION BEFORE DOING THIS!

Credits: GuyInDogSuit (Reported HDMI switch issue), player911 (Reported Reformat and quick-charge solutions), blackwolf (reported battery case issue and confirmed quick-charge solution), Amazon User Reviews (Reported and confirmed power supply issues with certain docks)

(To ROM devs using the stock ROM as a base: keep an eye out for patches to DeX related modules when you build new updates, and keep backups of code changes. they may attempt to patch out more docks in the future!)
The Following User Says Thank You to KSlith For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KSlith Ad-Free
2nd December 2017, 01:03 AM |#3  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 135

More
Thanks for sharing! Really glad for someone making this thread
25th January 2018, 03:52 PM |#4  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 1,216

Donate to Me
More
KSWNG
I bought a KSWNG adapter off Amazon based on description that it would work with Dex, high ratings, and lots of positive reviews of Dex Mode working.

I have a Note 8. I am running Oreo beta CRA9. Oreo was a test because Dex was failing to launch on the stock too.

The dock works great with my nintendo switch. When I hook the unit up to my Note 8, SAMSUNG DEX displays on my phone and on my TV. It does the little D..e..x animation, and then reboots. I see the little green/blue circle. And it just repeats this until I unplug the unit.

I've heard rumors that they may block 3rd party docks on Oreo builds, but even on stock it did this. I've never gotten Dex to load.

I have checked disabled system apps. I haven't factory defaulted yet due to this being a work phone, so I am looking at other solutions prior to a reset.

I'm just not sure if this is normal operation with 3rd party units, or if my Note 8 is bad.

UPDATE:
So I figured out that my KSWNG Dock works. I tested it with my buddies 8+. I factory defaulted my Note 8 and now it is working in DEX Mode, with some issues.
1. It requires power before entering DEX mode. Without power, it will only launch screen mirroring.
2. When Power is applied, the USB port disables. I've tested this without DEX, just using Android. If I connect the USB mouse up to the unit and plug it in, I can control the USB mouse pointer. As soon as I apply power, the mouse pointer goes away.

I HAVE gotten my external mouse to work in DEX before.... but it stopped and never worked again. I may have a funky USB-HDMI module. Occasionally it will complain of Water in my port.

It works fine using DEX standalone, with phone screen as touchpad. The only way I could get a mouse to work is perhaps bluetooth.

UPDATE 2:
I used my neighbors S8+, obviously stock, and the Dex loaded but again, disabled the full USB. I think this is probably common for this unit. I don't plan on buying another one to test. It does work on my Nintendo Switch perfectly and DOES do Dex. I will just have to pair up some bluetooth devices.
The Following User Says Thank You to player911 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift player911 Ad-Free
16th February 2018, 11:49 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Got the Melopow model M002 from Amazon. Very small and light - pocket size. 1 x USB 3, 1 x USB-C (power supply), 1 x HDMI.
Works perfectly with SM-G950F AQL5 (Android 7.0), yet to be tested with CRAP.
Supports DeX and Mirroring, seamlessly transfers audio over HDMI, charges S8 during playback, stays cool all the time.
Pros: as above, also tested with Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse with no issues connected through USB dongle, supports USB flash disks
Cons: only single USB 3.x port, can't connect Samsung portable HDD (but same issue when connected directly to S8 - not enough juice to spin it up)
The Following User Says Thank You to mikewilc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikewilc Ad-Free
15th March 2018, 10:51 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Was able to get the WDLAND 7 in 1 USBC HDMI hub to work, but needed quick charger to work. Official Samsung Note 8 charger and Lumsing 5 port charger with one QC3.0 port worked. Had to make sure that my battery phone case was removed as the passthrough USB-C seemed to prevent it from working.
The Following User Says Thank You to blakwolf For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift blakwolf Ad-Free
24th March 2018, 09:06 AM |#7  
Flag Antelope, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,123

Donate to Me
More
Bought the Wofalodata dock, only to find it just charges my S8+, and SLOWLY, even with the adaptive charger my phone came with. I think I might be doing something wrong here.... Anyone else have this one? Any luck with it?

Oh, and I'm on Oreo CRC5.
The Following User Says Thank You to GuyInDogSuit For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GuyInDogSuit Ad-Free
28th March 2018, 03:58 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
ZYNUN with S8 Oreo works fine but it need more power for the charger than the office Samsung charger, i used Huawei AP81 charger.
The Following User Says Thank You to amk316 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift amk316 Ad-Free
30th March 2018, 02:32 AM |#9  
Flag Antelope, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,123

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInDogSuit

Bought the Wofalodata dock, only to find it just charges my S8+, and SLOWLY, even with the adaptive charger my phone came with. I think I might be doing something wrong here.... Anyone else have this one? Any luck with it?

Oh, and I'm on Oreo CRC5.

Found out why. It needs a DIRECT HDMI connection. Can't use an HDMI switcher hub.
The Following User Says Thank You to GuyInDogSuit For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GuyInDogSuit Ad-Free
23rd April 2018, 02:24 AM |#10  
Flag {^_*}
Thanks Meter: 111

More
heyy why didnt you put the full youtube links? kinda anoying no links.....
please fix that, so we can click on the links
12th May 2018, 02:08 PM |#11  
OP Junior Member
Flag Chico, CA

More
Updated with new information, thank you all for contributing! Hopefully people will get plenty of use from this post!
@reggiexp I sadly can't post a direct link to the videos in question until my user rank is higher. For now you are stuck pasting video IDs into YouTube itself. Sorry!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
dex, note_3, s3+

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)