Isn't Fast Charging Bad For The Battery?

Search This thread

russ18uk

Aug 1, 2011
That would depend on the battery's C rating. Charging at higher rates doesn't necessarily cause damage. There are plenty of articles on charging lithium ion/poly cells out there.

Vogal

Oct 28, 2005
Leiria
In my previous S7 Edge , the battery lost plenty of juice in just one year of usage ( i was using wireless charging only). Then i sent it to samsung warranty and they replace battery. Tried to find something about if could be the wireless charging that damaged the battery and found none that supported that theory.

Now, with the S8, i´m using the provided charger and cable only (Just to be safe).

russ18uk

Aug 1, 2011
In my previous S7 Edge , the battery lost plenty of juice in just one year of usage ( i was using wireless charging only). Then i sent it to samsung warranty and they replace battery. Tried to find something about if could be the wireless charging that damaged the battery and found none that supported that theory.

Now, with the S8, i´m using the provided charger and cable only (Just to be safe).
Wireless is different due to the losses in the induction, creating heat, which does have some affect. But there are a lot of variables as to why your battery performance may have degraded.

LeoNote4

Nov 10, 2014
Right... it seems every day someone thinks they know more than engineers in that field, battery is getting hot so it must be bad. Yet every year qualcomm and others improve quick charging for even faster charging, so unless someone actually knows something these threads should just stop.

I think what's going on here is someone doesn't know so he is asking a question.

peachpuff

Aug 31, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23
I think what's going on here is someone doesn't know so he is asking a question.

Why would you assume its bad for the battery in the first place? Just because it gets hot? The cpu also gets hot when gaming so i should stop gaming? Recording 4k videos also heats up the phone so i should stop recording 4k video's? Constantly downloading will probably heat up the modem too so i should stop downloading? If something is built into the phone why would you assume its bad for the phone?

Jnioms

May 8, 2012
Hey, don't take it badly, he is just asking. I remember old batteries (for example ni-mh) if you charge it at a high current they use to live less than if you charged them at a slow one (i remember using rechargable batteries of this time for my wii control and i could test it with how long they lasted).

I think the new Li-ion (or better) batteries nowadays don't suffer from this, so you should be safe about them. They have a natural capacity loss thats isnt affected about the rest of the things. You should anyway check for faulty chargers or your battery life, remember all the test samsung makes are with their original hardware.

Regards!

Reactions: NeedUnusedName

ac16313

Mar 15, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
Why would you assume its bad for the battery in the first place? Just because it gets hot? The cpu also gets hot when gaming so i should stop gaming? Recording 4k videos also heats up the phone so i should stop recording 4k video's? Constantly downloading will probably heat up the modem too so i should stop downloading? If something is built into the phone why would you assume its bad for the phone?
This is someone not knowing what they're taking about trying to talk down on someone else.

Anyways heat has always been detrimental to battery health which is why samsung fast wireless chargers have fans built in to keep the heat low. Along with this the phone will prevent charging if it passes a certain heat threshold I believe 40c iirc and also the phone uses adaptive charging to prevent over heating of the phone with the included fast charger and charging circuit design. As long as the phone continues to regulate the charge coming into the phone fast charging shouldn't hurt. Of course with fast charging you go through battery cycles faster but this is just because you can charge it a lot more times than with regular charging.

macmobile

Dec 6, 2013
My personal experience:
- 2 years of fast charging = battery drain between 100 and 90 very much noticable
- charging over night causes more damage than fast charging

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Right... it seems every day someone thinks they know more than engineers in that field, battery is getting hot so it must be bad. Yet every year qualcomm and others improve quick charging for even faster charging, so unless someone actually knows something these threads should just stop.

This is someone not knowing what they're taking about trying to talk down on someone else.

Anyways heat has always been detrimental to battery health which is why samsung fast wireless chargers have fans built in to keep the heat low. Along with this the phone will prevent charging if it passes a certain heat threshold I believe 40c iirc and also the phone uses adaptive charging to prevent over heating of the phone with the included fast charger and charging circuit design. As long as the phone continues to regulate the charge coming into the phone fast charging shouldn't hurt. Of course with fast charging you go through battery cycles faster but this is just because you can charge it a lot more times than with regular charging.
    Are you a battery engineer/chemist?

Battery President.
    Hey, don't take it badly, he is just asking. I remember old batteries (for example ni-mh) if you charge it at a high current they use to live less than if you charged them at a slow one (i remember using rechargable batteries of this time for my wii control and i could test it with how long they lasted).

I think the new Li-ion (or better) batteries nowadays don't suffer from this, so you should be safe about them. They have a natural capacity loss thats isnt affected about the rest of the things. You should anyway check for faulty chargers or your battery life, remember all the test samsung makes are with their original hardware.

Regards!