Whitestone Dome Glass Screen Protector

Search This thread

E.Cadro

Retired Senior Moderator
Jan 18, 2011
Just Off In The Distance
Samsung Galaxy S20
Must have gotten lucky when I ordered mine off Amazon it was only $29.99 now I see it back up to $44, Honestly thought they had just reduced the price. Installed mine last night was the new installation kit like the note 8. Went well just had to really take my time making sure there was no dust and following the directions but in the end went on perfect no bubbles or dust.

After reading about the problem with the dust build up along the edges over time I had thought why not take clear coat nail polish with a Model paint brush and carefully go along the sides and cover the tacky glue so I did tonight . So far so good no longer feels tacky on the edges, I did not do the top or bottom out of fear it would be to noticeable plus it seems the the sides are more of an issue when it comes to dust. I'll update in a few weeks and see how it hold up. As far as cases it does not work with the Spigen liquid air armor I can tell without even putting it on that the case will lift the screen protector.

Last edited:

JamesR913

Dec 23, 2008
Just noticed a scratch on my naked screen today, right in the middle. Figured I would give this a try and just ordered hopefully it works as good as people say. Does anyone have any idea if this might work with the Dbrand Grip I have on order?

JamesR913

Dec 23, 2008
Just noticed a scratch on my naked screen today, right in the middle. Figured I would give this a try and just ordered hopefully it works as good as people say. Does anyone have any idea if this might work with the Dbrand Grip I have on order?
Any one else notice that over time lines at the top of the screen start showing up. It looks like the glue is separating because when I push do in the area they go away

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

JamesR913

Dec 23, 2008
Any one else notice that over time lines at the top of the screen start showing up. It looks like the glue is separating because when I push do in the area they go away

This is what I am talking about. It initially started in the upper right corner and then slowly crept down and across. If I press soon it it goes away for a second but then comes right back. Anyone else experience this?View attachment 4448834

voxibanez

Sep 3, 2010
This is what I am talking about. It initially started in the upper right corner and then slowly crept down and across. If I press soon it it goes away for a second but then comes right back. Anyone else experience this?View attachment 4448834

I noticed the same thing too after a couple days of having the screen protector. It never got worse though, basically only two lines that were just above the actual screen. I just replaced mine (I dropped my phone and it shattered), so I will see if the lines come back.

Freefallrlc

Mar 26, 2018
I am thinking about getting one for my S9
So if you use heat to remove the glass again, how goes it work over time in warmer places? Like in summer, heat over 30 in holidays. I'd the glass getting loose or get bubbles? And how about the under sunlight readability? Same like the phone or getting worse?

voxibanez

Sep 3, 2010
I am thinking about getting one for my S9
So if you use heat to remove the glass again, how goes it work over time in warmer places? Like in summer, heat over 30 in holidays. I'd the glass getting loose or get bubbles? And how about the under sunlight readability? Same like the phone or getting worse?

They don't mention heat to remove the glass. They recommend pointing the phone screen away from your face (because glass dust goes everywhere when you remove it), then use your fingernail to pry on the edge of the glass and it eventually pops off. It's pretty tough to remove, it took multiple attempts at different places but once you get it started it comes off relatively easy. It hasn't gotten warm out yet, but I've been wirelessly charging it every night upright and the glass hasn't moved at all.

It's definitely the best screen protector I've ever had on any device, but it's pricey. Sunlight visibility is just as good as the glass on the phone. Because it uses a glue that fills the whole screen that dries clear, there are no issues with dots on the screen or the screen coming up in different places. It also fills in small scratches, I had some scuffs and one small chip in the screen and they're totally gone after putting on the protector.

JamesR913

Dec 23, 2008
I have to say at this point I don't think I can recommend this screen protector. While the clarity and responsiveness are second to none the lines appearing at the top and now the bottom are extremely distracting. I followed the instructions to a "T" and still have these lines at the top and bottom, extremely frustrating for the $ spent. I was so hopeful

richierich

Feb 26, 2005
London
I have to say at this point I don't think I can recommend this screen protector. While the clarity and responsiveness are second to none the lines appearing at the top and now the bottom are extremely distracting. I followed the instructions to a "T" and still have these lines at the top and bottom, extremely frustrating for the $ spent. I was so hopeful

Try this, cheap and just as effective as the Whitestone one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-G...53.m2749.l2649

No UV drying and curing of glue. Works like a proper glass screen protector, but with adhesive on the entire glass. So no problems with clarity, sensitivity or the need for the dots in the screen. Greatest value I've seen yet!

pamarakos

Jan 10, 2008

richierich

Feb 26, 2005
London
looks like a fraud more likely a $2 Chinese screen guard re branded to make a quick buck

Right, to be fair, after taking a moment and not reading your comments as a negative Norman who doesn't trust or believe anyone, and looking at things from your perspective, I can see how you came to this conclusion. The packaging and advert for this is pretty darn similar to all the other cheapo screen protectors out there. But for once, I'm pleased to say that this isn't the case. This actually is a really good solution and is more akin to proper glass screen protectors with full screen adhesive, like you'd get for all other "non curved screen" phones (not film, nor glass with glue just around the edges). And as far as I know, the only reliable full adhesive glass screen protectors are these very same whitestone ones, which I'm sure we can all agree are pretty expensive. So for 9 quid, I'll take these and be very happy! Seriously though, I'd recommend giving it a try, but that's entirely up to you.

Oh and in case you're wondering....no, I'm not selling these, nor am I connected to anyone who is. Im just a regular consumer who's trying to offer some knowledge and help to others, as I previously stated, I think I've damn well tried them all and this is by far the best!!!!!

Last edited:

ruffnexx_uk

Nov 9, 2008
Soooo sad.....ive had it on since October with no issue.....then got totally hammered on holiday....woke up in the morning to see scuffs and a huge crack...no idea what happened.....lol....so have to order another. ..also invoked the life time warranty hopefully whitestone will honour it..... however i must admit im grateful i had it on...but ive still got a few days of holiday left, so gotta be careful!!

Praetore

Nov 24, 2015
I've had this for several months now and a small drop cracked what seems to be inside the screen protector. When I touch the glass protector, it feels smooth, but there are visible cracks so it has to be the phone screen itself... very disappointing.

There is also another minor crack on the other side that I can touch and feel, so that makes me think that it is a crack in the protector, whereas the initial one managed to sneak past the protector and under a Spigen Hybrid case to make its way on the side metal as well.

supertoto2

Apr 25, 2018
how long does the oleophobic coating on whitestone domeglass last?

how long does the oleophobic coating on whitestone domeglass last?
and how long does oleophobic coating on screen protector last generally????

thanks

alpine101

Jan 28, 2012
Right, to be fair, after taking a moment and not reading your comments as a negative Norman who doesn't trust or believe anyone, and looking at things from your perspective, I can see how you came to this conclusion. The packaging and advert for this is pretty darn similar to all the other cheapo screen protectors out there. But for once, I'm pleased to say that this isn't the case. This actually is a really good solution and is more akin to proper glass screen protectors with full screen adhesive, like you'd get for all other "non curved screen" phones (not film, nor glass with glue just around the edges). And as far as I know, the only reliable full adhesive glass screen protectors are these very same whitestone ones, which I'm sure we can all agree are pretty expensive. So for 9 quid, I'll take these and be very happy! Seriously though, I'd recommend giving it a try, but that's entirely up to you.

Oh and in case you're wondering....no, I'm not selling these, nor am I connected to anyone who is. Im just a regular consumer who's trying to offer some knowledge and help to others, as I previously stated, I think I've damn well tried them all and this is by far the best!!!!!

Tried one of these. Very disappointed, the item supplied does not match the supplier's picture and the box, unlike the ebay claim, does not mention 'full screen adhesive'. Simply does not fit well. Good contact on the middle inch and a half, but outside this it's the wrong shape to maintain contact and simply lifts back up when you apply the squeegee pad. Seller is now away until May 6th... I think I'll go back to the cheap plastic ones which at least stick all over. The previous poster who suggested that this is simply a cheap Chinese glass protector is probably right. I've asked the seller for a replacement or refund.
15247589685280.jpg

Last edited:

richierich

Feb 26, 2005
London
Wow, are you sure you ordered the right one? This doesn't even look like the same packaging. If they claim it is, then rightly so you should request a refund. I assure you the one I ordered and received fit perfectly, and it's on my device to this very day. Will post some pics later

alpine101

Jan 28, 2012
Wow, are you sure you ordered the right one? This doesn't even look like the same packaging. If they claim it is, then rightly so you should request a refund. I assure you the one I ordered and received fit perfectly, and it's on my device to this very day. Will post some pics later
The seller says he packages the protectors up himself so the cover varies. The protector is glass and does have some type of adhesive on the back. But it's simply not strong enough to enable the glass to bend along the edges to accurately match the profile of the phone. I sent him a picture of this and he has refunded me promptly. Possibly the adhesive on your batch was a stronger type. Before fitting I did of course clean the screen thoroughly with meths and then the alcohol wipe in the kit. Again, this phone was only made in March, possibly Samsung are using a new type of oleophobic coating which is also resistant to the adhesives.

Last edited:

pewpewpat

Aug 18, 2016
Whitestone's S9 revision has a few improvements to the installation process (
).

Does anyone know if they've also included the updated installation process and components with the S8 product as well? Or, would the S9 protector work with an S8? I'm not aware of any differences between the two phones' screens, so I'm assuming they'd be cross compatible.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I never thought conversation about a screen protector could be so indepth. This thread is brilliant :)
    I know this thread had kind of died down lately but I read through all 32+ pages and it inspired me to buy my own LOCA glue and curved tempered-glass screen protector and attempt to recreate the method described here. I did the project just yesterday and I have to say it far exceeded my expectations. It is the best screen protecting solution I have ever seen and I got it to work correctly on the first attempt and my out the door total was maybe 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of the whitestone dome kit. If people are still interested I can take photos of my install and even write up a guide.
    You know the first link goes to an icrap 7 screen protector, correct? Far as I can tell, this isn't even available for the S8+ or S8. I'm guessing the only ones dumb enough to pay for this are the people who get icraps.

Also, WHO would pay ~$50 for a screen protector? That's just much too expensive. yes, the device costs about $850 but unless this is guaranteed to work, I don't see myself spending $50 for it.

Didn't know people like you existed in XDA. How disappointing.
    I can't seem to figure out embedding attachments, so I'll describe. The first 4 are without any case and the last 4 are with a MNML case on. You can tell by the slightly brownish border after the case is on. Enjoi
    For anyone interested in the Whitestone Dome glass:
    I just received mine today, and I am extremely happy about my choice (so far). It was slightly complicated to install (as the video would suggest), but following the video resulted in a pretty much perfect installation for me. There was a tiny bit of excess adhesive at the top of the protector by the speaker bar, but a few scrapes from my finger nail took care of that.

Case compatibility:
    I have the Spigen Neo Hybrid, as well as the Olixar X-Duo (using the Olixar and I actually like it a lot better than the Spigen). I specifically asked Whitestone's Amazon front if the Neo Hybrid was compatible, assuming that if the one is the Olixar will be as well (same basic construction). They assured me that it would be, but you need to wait 3 hours post-UV for the adhesive to fully cure before putting on the case. I did that, put the Olixar on, and lo-and-behold, it fits perfectly. I don't have any uplift whatsoever. I haven't tried it with the Neo Hybrid, as the Olixar is my daily driver, but I can only assume it works.

Impressions:
    Not the sleekest of protectors out there. The edges of the glass are raised, not beveled down like a true 2.5D protector, however I barely notice with the case on. However, it's the first (and only, as far as I know) screen protector that actually works full-coverage on the S8. Because the adhesive is full-coverage, there's no air gaps and no loss of sensitivity. The force-touch home button works like there's nothing there but the phone itself. My only concern is that the glass is thick enough that if placed face-down, the lip from the case may not be enough to prevent the screen from touching whatever surface you're laying it on. That being said, since it's a tempered glass, it should be fine scratch-wise (apart from sand/granitic dust, which would still scratch it regardless of the protector) and will protect the phone screen from shattering. I'll be leaving it on, so I don't have any indication of how easy it is to take off. But overall, if you're clumsy like me and need something a little extra there to prevent your screen from cracking, I'd highly recommend the Whitestone.