A Rooted Custom Rom
For SM-G892A/U on V1 and V2 Bootloaders
What is my Bootloader Revision?
Your bootloader revision is part of the baseband build number of the firmware you are currently running. For example, let's consider this firmware version: G892ASQS2BQL1
Start from the right and count 5 characters back. See that 2? That is the bootloader revision for the firmware that came with this rom. All Samsung firmware follow this formula for all devices.
Using this formula, What is the bootloader version for G892UEU4GHK1?
Please see below for a a new update to both the V1 and V2 releases.
It is a new BL "part 2" tarball that contains a fix for the issues reported by
many of you with the finger print and other various sensors. It has replaced
the original firmware Part2 link in the following post .
Deodexed for all devices.
I found a way that works!
It should continue working as long
as we care about nougat
Forget that extra flash, PCR now comes out of the flasher with xposed pre-installed.
NOTE: Xposed Installer may crash on first boot. It will not crash after setup finishes and you reboot
New Custom Boot Animation
Another great one from @rayan-refoua himself.
This one is my favorite so far.
I added another DSP style audio mod. JamesDSP is similar to V4A in how it operates and what features it has, but it has some really awesome features that have gotten me using it for a while. Specifically it has a better convolver (IRS processing) implementation, and its bass boost is WAY better than v4a. However you can use both at the same time to get the best of both worlds.
ITYBP Modded YouTube
A last minute addition, this is a really nice youtube mod brought to you by XXXXXX ADD SOURCE XXXXX. It features some cool features like native adblocking (no more xposed module), override your max youtube resolution (so you can watch 4k videos on your phone), and, not as important to us, spoofing different device types to get true hdr videos. I have been using it for a while and really like it. A big thanks to them for letting me include it with PCR
I did a lot more digging this round, and was able to add back a few things that I had taken out without loading the system more. This rom feels snappier than any before it. As usual, if you find something missing that you want back, pull it from the stock rom and install it in /system.
Improved Battery Life
Thanks to some fine battery sleuthing work by @TheMadScientist, this release comes with a nice big bump in efficiency. With just some very minor tuning using amplify and a service disabler, I can get around 1%/h drain.
That increased battery life does not come at the cost of performance. In fact performance is better too. Part of that is due to a large batch of personally tested build.prop tweaks make the ui a lot more responsive. Part of that is the data optimisation scripts that now run at boot to make sure things are cleaned up and in tip top shape. You wont notice those, but they are there doing their thing.
- Pre-Rooted with SuperSU installed
- CSC OYN pre-installed. Tested working on several carriers
- RCS and VoLTE icons removed from status bar.
- High quality audio mods, including
- Viper Audio (V4A)
- Dolby Atmos from the Axon 7
- Pandora hifi audio framework
- Native Google Dialer & Contacts support, including local search, spam call blocking
- Oreo 8..1 Emoji Icon Set
- Custom Lockscreen Clock font
- Stock system display fonts replaced with Apple's original San Francisco Font
- @ahiron and @Zackptg5 for the killer sounds from V4A and Dolby Atmos Mods!
- The Aiur crew for Pandora (now a legacy mod but works great on the s8)
- @syndre for the Google Dialer and Contacts framework mod
- @rayan-refoua for the beautiful Tech Lines Custom boot and shutdown animations!
- Last but not least, my new friend @laura almeida, along with @Razerman amd @ZaneZam for letting me include the iYTBP - injected YouTube Background Playback Mod
- everyone who tested
- 80% Battery life like every other rooted US snapdragon device
- Flashing on a USB 3.0 port will likely cause corruption in your flash that can cause kernel panics, loss of root, and occasionally very strange other errors. If you get something like this, its not the rom its a hardware conflict that can only show up with larger images like are used in SamFail flashing. See the section below on Kernel Panics for more.
- If there is an app or apk from the stock rom that you wish you had installed, the best solution is to extract it from your stock rom image and copy it to the same place in /system using a root file manager. If a large number of people want something back, I will include it in the next version, but by now I think we have covered all those possibilities and now the list will only get shorter. No I will not put Bixby back
SamFail Rooting Process
and Rom Installation
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING WILL ERASE YOUR WHOLE PHONE
If you have a SDCard, remove it from your device. Occasional firmware incidents have wiped SDCards in the past. Better safe than sorry.
Prepare the Following:
- complete stock rom at your bootloader rev in case things dont work
- Everything backed up (see above)
- Both Prince Comsy Odin, and Regular Odin for flashing stock
- A USB 2.0 Port. If you attempt to flash with a USB 3.0 port it may work, but if you get kernel panics, or unexpected bad behavior and/or crashes your usb3 is absolutely to blame. some people get lucky and suceed after a few tries, YMMV. If you can not acquire a machine with a usb2.0 port, get a usb2.0 hub and run your phone into that & that into your machine. Reports are that has made things work for some, but we get few reports back.
Steps to Root
1) Download and unzip AP Part 1 and BL Part 2 zip files.
2) Download and unzip Prince Comsey Odin and start it up
3) Reboot device into Download mode, connect to your pc
4) Open Comsy Odin and add ONLY the AP Part1.tar.md5 file. Select the following options only:
- "F-Reset Time"
- "Nand Erase All"
NOTE: Odin will freeze while checking the AP tar.md5 hash.
Be patient, it will come back.
5) Click "Start" and wait for the system.img.ext4 file to flash fully to your device. This will take a while too.
When the flash finishes, this is when the SamFail magic happens. Instead of saying "Failed (Auth)" like it should, the device will crash into upload mode with "Unknow Error".
If your device does not do this, and just says "Failed (Auth)" or something similar and stays in download mode, you need to start again from the beginning, but using a different set of ub ports as you have suffered from the usb3 corruption.
When you see the upload mode page, use the 3 button reboot to go back to download mode.
WARNING: When you reboot from upload mode, your phone will show an error instead of download mode.
When you reboot back into download mode, your screen will say that you had a failed update and you need to do emergency repair or take your device to a service center.
Rest assured, your phone is actually in download mode, and Odin will have recognized it and said "Added!" along with the com port lighting up underneath the progress bar.
It is safe to continue
6) Close and re-open Comsy Odin or hit the reset button, and add BL_PartCyborgRom-BootLoopEdition-<version>.tar.md5 to the BL section.
7) Leave the default checkboxes for "F Reset Time" and "Auto Reboot" checked. Click "Start" and flash the BL (part 2) to your device.
8) Wait for the flash to finish . It won't take very long at all all the files are small.
9) When it has finished, Odin will say PASS and your device will reboot into recovery.
Warning: Failure to follow this step could lead to a corrupted instance with no cell coverrage
10) When in recovery issue a factory reset. This ensures that your device has a userdata partition that is valid, and that the csc is processed correctly. Failure to do the reset could cause issues with either.
Pledged a donation for the root bounty? Send it here. Thank you!
IF YOU GET A BOOT LOOP:
If you get a boot loop or your device hangs at boot, try the following:
1) Reboot to recovery and factory reset again.
To get to recovery hold power+vol-down until screen goes black, then wait till upload mode (press power key for 7+ secs) comes up. Then press vol-down+power again and hold it till it reboots and as SOON as the screen goes black switch to holding vol-up+power+bixby. Hold it for 5-7sec then let go and you will wind up in recovery mode.
Kernel Panic, Invalid Argument
Start the process over
Go back to the beginning and do everything again. If it fails in a new way this time, you may have hardware caused corruption, or maybe you missed a step. Change hardware, and keep trying.
If you get stuck, some of us will be here to help. Check out our telegram channel, where people will be around that can help you. Come Check it out.
PartCyborgRom, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S8
ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
Based On: TouchWiz/Samsung Experience
Current Stable Version: BQL1
Stable Release Date: 2017-12-10
Last Updated 2018-2-10