FORUMS

Badge Notifications in Oreo

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By Falkiner, Junior Member on 1st March 2018, 03:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I just updated to Oreo and noticed that now when I dismiss a Notification the badge from that app goes away too...

In the previous version this didn't happen, anyone knows how to avoid the badge from the app disappearing?

Thanks!
1st March 2018, 08:25 PM |#2  
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 425

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkiner

I just updated to Oreo and noticed that now when I dismiss a Notification the badge from that app goes away too...

In the previous version this didn't happen, anyone knows how to avoid the badge from the app disappearing?

Thanks!

You can't stop it from happening unfortunately. Your other option is to install nova launcher and use tesla unread counter app, which is from the same guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to sofir786 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sofir786 Ad-Free
2nd March 2018, 03:36 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofir786

You can't stop it from happening unfortunately. Your other option is to install nova launcher and use tesla unread counter app, which is from the same guys.

Thanks for the reply sofir!

I was also thiking about downgrading back to 7.0...

Will try Nova Launcher later, thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to Falkiner For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Falkiner Ad-Free
6th March 2018, 11:50 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 148

More
Quote:

Thanks for the reply sofir!

I was also thiking about downgrading back to 7.0...

Will try Nova Launcher later, thanks again!

I was also wondering if there is a workaround for this.
To be honest, this is the most stupid thing I've ever seen in a software update, now if you put the notifications to silent for - let's say- Facebook, you will never get the badges on on the app icon.
In Secure Folder, it is the same, which defeats the purpose of the secure folder (hiding notifications), so when I enter secure folder, now I have to check each app for conversations or messages or any other notifications they might have.
Samsung should provide the option to unlink "clearing notifications from the panel clears the badges", and also silencing and app notification doesn't prevent it from having badges.
Nova launcher, it works, but the tesla is inconsistent.
The Following User Says Thank You to supersonictt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift supersonictt Ad-Free
7th March 2018, 09:12 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonictt

To be honest, this is the most stupid thing I've ever seen in a software update, now if you put the notifications to silent for - let's say- Facebook, you will never get the badges on on the app icon.
In Secure Folder, it is the same, which defeats the purpose of the secure folder (hiding notifications), so when I enter secure folder, now I have to check each app for conversations or messages or any other notifications they might have.
Samsung should provide the option to unlink "clearing notifications from the panel clears the badges", and also silencing and app notification doesn't prevent it from having badges.

While this may be an "upgrade" to people with stock android, it's more of a downgrade to people who've already experienced the app badges before Oreo. The main reason I am/was a fan of app badges is so that my notifications can be turned off and I'll see I have notifications based on the app badge. I hope Samsung will at least add the possibility of choosing to show app badges for apps that are put to silent in a future update. Right now they just seem pretty pointless.
7th March 2018, 02:12 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 148

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Bauwens

While this may be an "upgrade" to people with stock android, it's more of a downgrade to people who've already experienced the app badges before Oreo. The main reason I am/was a fan of app badges is so that my notifications can be turned off and I'll see I have notifications based on the app badge. I hope Samsung will at least add the possibility of choosing to show app badges for apps that are put to silent in a future update. Right now they just seem pretty pointless.

I totally agree with you, and t is the same reason why I am a fan of that.
Let's hope that Samsung can add an option to make it just like before.
7th March 2018, 04:29 PM |#7  
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 425

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonictt

I just think it's a backwards move and if they're so adamant of it at least give the option to allow unread badges even if notification is swiped away
20th March 2018, 09:41 PM |#8  

More
Quote:

Thanks!

I really dislike this change and am considering returning my Galaxy S9 because of it. There's a thread over on the Samsung forum about this as well if you want to subscribe to that one to keep track of this issue.

Galaxy-S9-Questions-and-Answers/Notification-badge-icon-not-working-on-Samsung-Galaxy-S9/m-p/288959#M52
21st March 2018, 10:14 PM |#9  

More
I'm glad I found a forum on this issue...

This definitely seems like a step in the wrong direction. I liked that I would get new notifications in the top panel and if I swiped them away, the badge Icon would still show that I had an un-opened message. This was very useful because in situations where I was doing something and I couldn't check the new message right away, I would clear them because I still wanted to see if any other new notifications would come in after, the badge Icon would remind me to check later, if i forgot, when I had time to view or reply to that message.

This feature needs to be added back asap, it should be extremely simple for them to implement and it should be an option anyways for us to link or un-link the notification panel with the app badge icon.

Keep this forum going!
21st March 2018, 11:31 PM |#10  
Flag Lisboa
Thanks Meter: 101

More
Unhappy
This is simply ridiculous! Gone from an almost perfect touchwiz to nova launcher ... i'm really upset.
21st March 2018, 11:37 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
For a lot of users Nova Launcher with Tesla Unread also has an issue with unread badges. Particularly with the Gmail app, but also with the native Samsung email app. See the recent reviews for the app on Google Play.
If you contact Tesla Coil (developers of Nova/TeslaUnread) they will send you an updated apk to side load. This didn't resolve the issue for me but YMMV.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)