FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Disabling Canadian Alert Ready System Broadcasts

63 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

By killswitch_engage, Member on 28th November 2018, 09:01 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Does anyone know how to disable the Alert Ready system in Canada on a NON-rooted phone, so I don't get these stupid notifications? 99.9% of these are so far away that they're pointless.

I already disabled the Emergency Alerts option in the Messages app but that doesn't appear to have worked.

Has any tried removing com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver through ADB? Not sure the consequences of doing that...Might just screw everything up lol. I haven't had time to test.

Thanks.
20th December 2018, 02:42 PM |#2  
Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 143

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch_engage

Does anyone know how to disable the Alert Ready system in Canada on a NON-rooted phone, so I don't get these stupid notifications? 99.9% of these are so far away that they're pointless.

I already disabled the Emergency Alerts option in the Messages app but that doesn't appear to have worked.

Has any tried removing com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver through ADB? Not sure the consequences of doing that...Might just screw everything up lol. I haven't had time to test.

Thanks.

If you have TWRP recovery, just make a full backup and try.
14th May 2019, 01:57 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Did you get this to work? I want to turn them off as well!
14th May 2019, 06:24 PM |#4  
OP Member
Flag Thunder Bay

More
I'm not rooted and didn't have time to backup and try.

It should work but you will lose all system broadcasts (data usage notification, roaming notification, etc.)
12th July 2019, 06:54 PM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Thunder Bay

More
So I finally had the time to try this after being woke up several times at 3 and 3:45am for an alert happening 1600km's (1000 miles) away and this didn't work.

There is no package on my phone called com.android.cellbroadcastreceiver.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
13th July 2019, 09:14 AM |#6  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Quite honestly if you guys don't have anyone to call you for whatever reason in the middle of the night, make a "routine" for silent mode during your hours of sleep. I'm in Canada and I was never woken up by these messages. My phone goes to vibrate from midnight to 6am. Barely an inconvenience...
16th July 2019, 06:21 PM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Thunder Bay

More
Yeah, unfortunately I can't put my phone into silent mode or turn off for the night.

I don't mind getting amber alerts, I think they are important, I just need to get rid of the sound lol. I wish there was an option to disable the loud alert and just get them silently - If I'm out during the day, I would see them even if they are a silent notification.
25th July 2019, 08:05 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Thunder Bay

More
FYI - it looks like putting the phone in silent mode or turning on do not disturb doesn't work for stopping the Canada Alert Ready broadcast.

Still looking a way to mute the alert...
2nd October 2019, 01:02 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I've been wondering too... Got like 6 in a row today about 5 minutes apart each, same thing for 1000s miles away. I tried within messages app but no dice despite there being settings available.

I did just try blocking that number those all came from to see what happens there if anything.

The odd thing also is, when one comes through it changes my notification vibration intensity to far less in my settings. And for whatever reason, my keyboard vibration seems attached to that setting too. So to type after getting these alerts I was missing most of that haptic feedback that I enjoy - though most don't. Finally figured it out

I don't understand the many in a row with the same info. Thankfully I was awake at the time, this time.

I wouldn't mind at all if they pop up, with no sound and no vibration. But no such luck so far.

I'm not even sure as a rooted user what I could do to stop them. My last device didn't support them. This is new to me! I would keep this device in wcdma mode and avoid completely, but for whatever reason texts take SO long to send on anything except LTE...
3rd October 2019, 11:16 PM |#10  
Forum Moderator
Flag Sioux Falls, SD
Thanks Meter: 598

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawprints1986

I've been wondering too... Got like 6 in a row today about 5 minutes apart each, same thing for 1000s miles away. I tried within messages app but no dice despite there being settings available.

I did just try blocking that number those all came from to see what happens there if anything.

The odd thing also is, when one comes through it changes my notification vibration intensity to far less in my settings. And for whatever reason, my keyboard vibration seems attached to that setting too. So to type after getting these alerts I was missing most of that haptic feedback that I enjoy - though most don't. Finally figured it out

I don't understand the many in a row with the same info. Thankfully I was awake at the time, this time.

I wouldn't mind at all if they pop up, with no sound and no vibration. But no such luck so far.

I'm not even sure as a rooted user what I could do to stop them. My last device didn't support them. This is new to me! I would keep this device in wcdma mode and avoid completely, but for whatever reason texts take SO long to send on anything except LTE...

i was getting them on my Cricket S9 until i flashed the U1 firmware and removed any sign of cricket from the phone. I havent got one alert since then
4th October 2019, 03:58 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I bought my phone outright unlocked though from best buy .ca, not from a carrier so it's not carrier branded at all. Seems the sim card presence is all it takes to perform alerts....
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)