FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Edge lighting and lock screen notifications

53 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By Opman711, Member on 22nd April 2017, 09:58 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've tried everything on my Sprint variant S8 and the edge lighting notification will not work when the screen is off. Yes I have all notifications set to yes with edge lighting set to When Screen Is Off and I even reset my phone entirely with no luck. All I get when I receive a text is the notification sound with the flashing LED. I also tried Screen Always On and still no edge lighting. Is anyone else having this problem? Also, the lock screen doesn't come on for a few seconds showing the notification say like it would on the iPhone. Anyone with the same issues or resolutions please help !?!?

22nd April 2017, 10:01 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 142

More
Which app are you using for the text messages? Edge lighting only works with some of the built in apps for now.
22nd April 2017, 10:04 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
I'm using the default Samsung messaging app. It is check marked in the Edge Lighting notification apps
22nd April 2017, 10:06 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
Edge lighting works when the screen is on but nothing when it's off
22nd April 2017, 10:11 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 72

More
I thought the same. I can see it very quickly with Samsung messaging, but vzw message+ I can't see it
23rd April 2017, 03:34 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opman711

Edge lighting works when the screen is on but nothing when it's off

Ive noticed the same thing. It was troubling at first, but with a little fiddling around I seemed to have found the fix or problem. The screen on in pocket sensitivity is the part that's preventing the screen to turn on while in the pocket...this also includes the edge lighting when the screen is off. So the fix is here (for me at least)...

Settings---Display---*scroll to bottom*--- Keep Screen Turned off---Uncheck

Hope that helps some of you. Made an account just for this comment since it's impossible to find the answer so far.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HelpNeededTech For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HelpNeededTech Ad-Free
23rd April 2017, 05:38 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
Thanks helpneeded... tried your suggestion but still no edge lighting when the screen is off
23rd April 2017, 05:51 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
I believe edge lighting only works when the phone screen is facing down . When you put your phone on the table put the screen down and see if it works. That's how it is on my 6 edge plus, I have that and the s8
23rd April 2017, 08:18 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I found one sure way to make edge lighting work for everything..bear with me though. This is retarded and ultimately this is a broken feature on the Samsung S8.

Go to the play store and buy..yes, buy "Edge Lighting" by Edge Design. The free version won't work. You are welcome to test other edge apps but this is all that worked for me. Install the paid version of Edge Lighting and set it up by enabling notification access. From here, don't bother setting any settings up in the app, they don't work yet. Irony. Somehow, edge lighting kicks the Samsung lighting into gear even though neither app works by themselves yet. Now telegram, hangouts, calls, everything..works and shows the Samsung edge light. Face up, face down, screen on or off. It all works. Don't ask me why this works..I truly don't know. Let us know your results if you guys try this or other apps. Again, samsung needs to fix this. Its half baked because it doesn't even work with a full factory reset. I'm using verizon s8 btw. There is NO customization of colors yet. All notifications are a light blue for now. Nothing we can do about that yet.

Disclaimer: I absolutely promise I'm not trying to advertise their app or make them sales. I paid for this edge app and one other (purple app icon on the play store..I forget the name but it didn't work like this one did) for my S7 because I wanted edge lights for any app I wanted, and the color I wanted.
23rd April 2017, 11:32 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by richierich118

I believe edge lighting only works when the phone screen is facing down . When you put your phone on the table put the screen down and see if it works. That's how it is on my 6 edge plus, I have that and the s8

Nope it works for any way you have the phone. There maybe another setting for you that's causing it to go crazy. Anything that can effect the screen effects this notification style...it's tricky to say the least.
23rd April 2017, 01:57 PM |#11  

More
Edge notifications don't work for me either - this is really disappointment. Does Samsung not bother to TEST its phones, before it releases them??
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwertyuiop89 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift qwertyuiop89 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)