Galaxy S8 stops charging after 80%

Search This thread
May 11, 2012
My new 3 day old S8(exynos) stops charging randomly after 80%
Sometimes it's struck at 83% and sometimes even at 57%
Using stock charger with cable..If I remove the plug and restart charging it comes to full 100 percent..
And I feel it happens while charging with location turned on..
Kindly help..
Anyone else facing this ?

unboxed

Apr 14, 2017
Has it been doing this from the beginning? After a soft reset the first thing I would do is boot it into safe mode to see if something I installed was causing the problem.

Reactions: tute12345601
May 11, 2012
Has it been doing this from the beginning? After a soft reset the first thing I would do is boot it into safe mode to see if something I installed was causing the problem.

Problem is solved..
Apparently when the battery temp shoots up the phone stops charging..

Samsung's reply on this issue :
This mail is in regard to your Samsung handset S8.

We would like to inform you that; this is not an issue with the device, this is the inbuilt feature of the handset, during

*Wireless charging or fast charging, the device may feel hotter and this is normal range of operation which does not affect the device’s lifespan/ performance.

If the battery temperature goes beyond specified limit, the charger may stop charging the device and start charging again once temperature goes down upto the normal temperature (e.g. 36ºC) and this is only a precautionary action for customer safety. This mode is called as*“Swelling Prevention Mode”.

Swelling prevention mode is triggered due to the high temperature. If the phone temperature rises beyond certain limit, the maximum charging voltage is limited to 4.15V which is equivalent to 70~80% (±*5%) of battery level. This operation is disabled and starts charging again once temperature goes down up to the normal temperature (e.g. 36ºC)

-Taken from another thread when a fellow XDA member had the same issue and got the reply from Samsung..

unboxed

Apr 14, 2017
Problem is solved..

We would like to inform you that; this is not an issue with the device, this is the inbuilt feature of the handset, during

*Wireless charging or fast charging, the device may feel hotter and this is normal range of operation which does not affect the device’s lifespan/ performance.

If the battery temperature goes beyond specified limit, the charger may stop charging the device and start charging again once temperature goes down upto the normal temperature (e.g. 36ºC) and this is only a precautionary action for customer safety. This mode is called as*“Swelling Prevention Mode”.

Swelling prevention mode is triggered due to the high temperature. If the phone temperature rises beyond certain limit, the maximum charging voltage is limited to 4.15V which is equivalent to 70~80% (±*5%) of battery level. This operation is disabled and starts charging again once temperature goes down up to the normal temperature (e.g. 36ºC)

-Taken from another thread when a fellow XDA member had the same issue and got the reply from Samsung..

Makes sense, good to hear you got to the bottom of it. It's slightly worrying it gets so warm during charging it has to cut out though...

Infobits

Jul 11, 2009
Problem is solved..

Thanks for posting the info you were able to get from Samsung on your end. I've experienced this exact same fast wireless charging problem stopping at around 79% to 80% and when I contacted Samsung via their online help chat support, the rep I got said that they've never heard of the problem being reported to them! I told him that the problem is being reported all over the various internet sites and forums. He still denied it. Anyway, I've put a link to this forum thread in the other forum thread reporting the same problem. The overheating safety check that stops the charging makes sense to explain what we are all experiencing however I think it is a flaw and defect since it fails to allow fast wireless charging to charge our phone up to 100%. We will wake up in the morning late for work and the phone will not be 100% charged? No time to wait and recharge it to 100% when we have to rush out the door to go to work! I can see all the upset users!

alexhee

Mar 4, 2011
Tested mine on Samsung original Fast Wireless Charging pad. When temperature more than 40°C then it will stop charging, you can monitor your phone temperature using 3C battery monitor widget. However, the issue is its temperature won't go down when it's sitting on the charging pad & make your charging halt until you take out the phone & let it cool down.

My solution is simple, use a USB fan blowing it when it charging wirelessly & its temperature didn't shoot up more than 38°C.

Infobits

Jul 11, 2009
Tested mine on Samsung original Fast Wireless Charging pad. When temperature more than 40°C then it will stop charging, you can monitor your phone temperature using 3C battery monitor widget. However, the issue is its temperature won't go down when it's sitting on the charging pad & make your charging halt until you take out the phone & let it cool down.

My solution is simple, use a USB fan blowing it when it charging wirelessly & its temperature didn't shoot up more than 38°C.

What gets me is that Samsung advertises that these charger docks have a built in fan that is supposed to keep the phone cooled. But the fans in these docks don't even blow on the phones at all. The placement of the fan vent holes are on the back of the base which serves no purpose cooling the phone itself. Dumb.

May 11, 2012
Here in India temperature reaches 44°C during a normal day...
Hence my phone stops charging all the time !
Pretty irritating..hence I am forced to use the mobile in an air conditioned room always..

Don't know if my particular unit is overheating..coz very few are complaining here in india..and Samsung is not accepting this as a fault and not providing replacement !

Can someone post their battery temperature during
1.Normal usage ( social apps with some Spotify)
2.Youtube in FHD with 100% screen brightness with video enhancer turned on for 8 to 10 mins
3.Fast charging

Mine is
1.38 to 40°C
2.43°C
3.More than 45°C

alexhee

Mar 4, 2011
What gets me is that Samsung advertises that these charger docks have a built in fan that is supposed to keep the phone cooled. But the fans in these docks don't even blow on the phones at all. The placement of the fan vent holes are on the back of the base which serves no purpose cooling the phone itself. Dumb.

lol. I suppose the charging pad fan is for the pad not for our phone. :D

Hemanth_p

May 24, 2017
Bangalore
Same issue with my Indian s8 plus on charging pause at 83%

Hi I Am also having the same issue with s8 plus .It stops charging at 83 % and if disconnect the charger for a min and reconnect it goes to 100 otherwise it sits at 83 % for whole day if I didn't replug. Hope it is a feature for safety. I Am getting 14 to 17 hours of battery life for 100% .so great battery management and safety by samsung great.

lawrence750

Jul 18, 2008
Berkshire
Problem is solved..

The question really is why is it getting so warm when the phone is idle and charging? It normally stays cool.. so why on one random night did it get too warm..

ewokuk

Oct 26, 2011
There are clearly 2 problems here

1. Why is it getting too hot in the first place (assuming a country that does not have a very high ambient temp)
  2. Why is it not doing what it is clearly supposed to be doing and continuing to charge once the temp goes down (as Samsung themselves have apparently said, it should continue to charge once normal temps are achieved but it is clearly not doing that)

lawrence750

Jul 18, 2008
Berkshire
There are clearly 2 problems here

1. Why is it getting too hot in the first place (assuming a country that does not have a very high ambient temp)
  2. Why is it not doing what it is clearly supposed to be doing and continuing to charge once the temp goes down (as Samsung themselves have apparently said, it should continue to charge once normal temps are achieved but it is clearly not doing that)

exactly, not only does it get hot, but it stays hot
it's staying hot, when it's literally just maintaining the charge level.. what the hell is it doing?

ewokuk

Oct 26, 2011
exactly, not only does it get hot, but it stays hot
it's staying hot, when it's literally just maintaining the charge level.. what the hell is it doing?

That would seem to be a serious problem. If it is stopping the charging due to the heat, and stopping it does NOT stop the heat then this "safety" feature is completely failing to work. It will sit there being too hot for endless hours, which is surely a big safety issue (else they wouldnt stop it charging in the first place!).

As if that wasn't bad enough, heat is bad for batteries, if its sitting there for hours not charging and just generating heat, it will be sitting there too hot for hours on end and degrading the battery.

Ironically if it just kept the charging going then I assume once at 100% it would actually stop charging and reduce the heat (although perhaps this doesn't work either and it also still stays hot??? this probably needs to be checked too, we don't want it sitting there staying hot even after it gets to 100%!). So in the current situation it would actually be better if it DIDNT stop charging so it could get to 100% and cool down instead of sitting there at ~80% and staying hot!

I have the new samsung convertible wireless charger and have not had it do that so far but I am also in the UK where it is not exactly hot anyway (we will see what happens in summer!).

The final question is has anyone had this happen when charging with wire?

Last edited:

lawrence750

Jul 18, 2008
Berkshire
That would seem to be a serious problem. If it is stopping the charging due to the heat, and stopping it does NOT stop the heat then this "safety" feature is completely failing to work.

As if that wasn't bad enough, heat is bad for batteries, if its sitting there for hours not charging and just generating heat, it will be sitting there too hot for hours on end and degrading the battery.

Ironically if it just kept the charging going then I assume once at 100% it would actually stop charging and reduce the heat (although perhaps this doesn't work either and it also still stays hot??? this probably needs to be checked too, we don't want it sitting there staying hot even after it gets to 100%!). So in the current situation it would actually be better if it DIDNT stop charging so it could get to 100% and cool down instead of sitting there at ~80% and staying hot!

I have the new samsung convertible wireless charger and have not had it do that so far but I am also in the UK where it is not exactly hot anyway (we will see what happens in summer!).

i've had mine just over a month, and most nights i wireless charge, all but one night it has charged without issue, to 100%, and it was cool when i woke up in the morning
the only weird thing i noticed at the time when this happened, was that after I had picked the phone up, and put it back on charge, it said 'Fast wireless charging' - yet in settings>advanced>accessories, fast wireless charging was disabled.
I re enabled this, and it hasn't happened for the two nights since. but i don't know if it was related or not really.

MirceaForce

Jan 26, 2016
romania
Problem is solved..

have this problem with a fast car charger from Samsung...stops at 85% and dropping with the charger connected... yeahh the phone was hot because of the navigation maps......:((( dam they need to fix this crap

on my s7 did not had thia problem

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

did not find nothing on the internet about

Swelling Prevention Mode

ajai_dev

Sep 14, 2012
From India, I had the same problem while charging off the official charger but I thought that's normal since my M8 "Using QC2.0" also charged very fast til 70-80% and then slowed down quite a lot but the S8 almost stops around a similar mark and then sort of trickle charges the rest of the way.

Had I to guess I would say that between the S8 and the M8 the S8 would take much more time to reach 100% from 80% than the M8

May 11, 2012
That would seem to be a serious problem. If it is stopping the charging due to the heat, and stopping it does NOT stop the heat then this "safety" feature is completely failing to work. It will sit there being too hot for endless hours, which is surely a big safety issue (else they wouldnt stop it charging in the first place!).

The final question is has anyone had this happen when charging with wire?

From INDIA..Here summer is at its worst temperature reaching 42 celcius..It happens all the time with the stock wired charger.My phone never charges beyond 84% except if I am in an air conditioned room..
And also fast charging never works..Takes 2.45 hours from 3 to 100%
Worst samsung !! :mad:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My new 3 day old S8(exynos) stops charging randomly after 80%
    Sometimes it's struck at 83% and sometimes even at 57%
    Using stock charger with cable..If I remove the plug and restart charging it comes to full 100 percent..
    And I feel it happens while charging with location turned on..
    Kindly help..
    Anyone else facing this ?

Problem is solved..

how to you manage to hit that temperature ??

sunny weather, navigating in car while wireless charging....
    Makes sense except for the horribly broken English lol
    Exactly, lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk