FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

gps issues?

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By fantasmag0ria, Junior Member on 18th April 2017, 04:56 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
just received my s8. going back from work I decided to turn on the navigation to check if gps is working. It was stuttering so I downloaded some gps info app and there is no fix on my galaxy. The location when stationary is kinda working, shows it more or less precise but when travelling it jumps around.
How long the first fix should take? Any ideas? Anyone with the same issues?

18th April 2017, 05:50 PM |#2  
OP Junior Member

More
ok nevermind
After 45min outside it fixed the location.
18th April 2017, 07:19 PM |#3  

More
Hello mates,
I am planning to order s8 tomorrow. How you find it?

Regards,
19th April 2017, 03:18 AM |#4  
Flag Daytona Beach, FL
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Not sure if the s8 is like other samsung devices, but power savings modes can interfere with the gps locking.
19th April 2017, 06:55 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Not sure if its still a thing but I think the first lock can often take a bit if there isnt perfect signal. I know back in the day when flashing various ROMs the initial GPS lock wasnt always quick unless I had really strong signal to the sats.
2nd May 2017, 01:24 AM |#6  

More
I find the attenuation of the gps signal on my gs8 to be very strong. If I'm holding the phone it seems on the lower half of the phone during navigation the signal degrades. If I put it on my leg flat it attenuates to the point of occasionally dropping signal. If it sits upright in my dash phone holder it seems to work fine. Is this normal and is anyone else experiencing this?

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

By the way, I have gps toolbox downloaded and have redownlaoded the agps and reset the gps data numerous times
2nd May 2017, 01:43 AM |#7  
Branson, MO
Thanks Meter: 12

More
I've been having gps issues as well, especially when using waze. Basically, signal disconnects and can't reconnect (or it never connects in the first place...) until you turn off location and then turn it back on again...
2nd May 2017, 04:41 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 222

More
First fix is always the longest, because without knowing location GPS doesn't know what sats to look for and needs those sats to download data. Also when I first turned my phone on it was on Korean time zone. Finally, to get fastest fix allow phone to read network/wifi location (I think you need to manually set it to on) to read approximate location, to sync sat table etc. Since I use GPS daily with Google maps I can't remember waiting for proper fix more than few seconds, even when surrounded by very tall buildings and its always right on the money. Now you should be good to go with fast fix also, unless you turn GPS off for longer period of time.
5th May 2017, 06:23 AM |#9  

More
I am also having issues getting the gps signal to lock. If i turn location off and then on it seems to work. Does anyone have a work around?
5th May 2017, 05:12 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I was having odd GPS lock issues myself. I turned off the feature that lets it connect passively to wifi and bluetooth to attempt to "improve" location. After i turned those off, my GPS has been a lot more consistent. It by default uses your cell service and GPS antenna, which personally I feel is enough, i don't need to be getting location data from random wifi points and bluetooth signals that could be messed up, since I personally don't want to rely on other peoples devices that possibly are misconfigured.

This is of course my theory. In general it really could be a problem with the GPS in the device. I'm not really certain. Anybody else have results with this sort of change I made?
5th May 2017, 05:34 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 222

More
I think using BT and WiFi even when those services are turned off is overkill and I agree, it could cause more problems than benefits, I never turn it on. Hi accuracy is my setting and I think that uses cell towers and I think it may use my home Wifi, when I'm logged into it, but not sure. Bottom line it works very well on my phone and it can even tell when I'm in different rooms around my house. For example right now I'm in my office on 2nd floor of 10 floor building and my location on map is within 10 yards of actual location and I'm not even anywhere near any window, so it should not work, but somehow it does .
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)