FORUMS

moisture in charger port S8

2,492 posts
Thanks Meter: 692

By callumbr1, Senior Member on 26th May 2017, 11:47 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So 3 days ago now I spilt a little bit of water on my S8. I'm not worried about it and waited 4 hours for it to dry before charging it again.

Now after 3 days I'm still getting the notification about moisture in the port and to allow it to dry. Phone still charges as normal. Anyone seen this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170526-112446.jpg
Views:	1950
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	4161930  
27th May 2017, 10:42 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 146

More
Wonder if it is some sort of software/hardware feature that once it detects it it keeps notifying you despite not actually having any moisture.

Short of replacing the unit (which probably won't be covered by warranty), try putting it in a bag of uncooked rice over night to draw out any moisture that could potentially be there.

Sent from my LG-H918 using XDA-Developers Legacy app
27th May 2017, 06:29 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Leeds

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo4g63t

Wonder if it is some sort of software/hardware feature that once it detects it it keeps notifying you despite not actually having any moisture.

Short of replacing the unit (which probably won't be covered by warranty), try putting it in a bag of uncooked rice over night to draw out any moisture that could potentially be there.

Possibly buddy.

Will try that tonight, the notification is still popping up today also.
27th May 2017, 06:44 PM |#4  
Flag Doha
Thanks Meter: 609

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by callumbr1

Possibly buddy.

Will try that tonight, the notification is still popping up today also.

Was the liquid you spilled fresh water or did it have any sort of salt in it?
Salty liquids can cause corrosion on the port contacts, try rinsing the area with fresh water (since you're doing this intentionally, use distilled). Then use 99% alcohol to displace the water and speed up drying.

After the port is fully dry, see if the notification disappears.
27th May 2017, 06:48 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Leeds

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skander1998

Was the liquid you spilled fresh water or did it have any sort of salt in it?
Salty liquids can cause corrosion on the port contacts, try rinsing the area with fresh water (since you're doing this intentionally, use distilled). Then use 99% alcohol to displace the water and speed up drying.

After the port is fully dry, see if the notification disappears.

I will give this a try mate thanks.

It was fresh water out of the tap. It wasn't a lot either only a few splashes in the charger port.
27th May 2017, 10:54 PM |#6  
Flag Tucson
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Someone on another forum had a similar issue. Apparently a fuse had been blown. Brought the phone to Samsung and had to have the port replaced.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to djm1947 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift djm1947 Ad-Free
28th May 2017, 05:38 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Leeds

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm1947

Someone on another forum had a similar issue. Apparently a fuse had been blown. Brought the phone to Samsung and had to have the port replaced.

Thanks mate. There's a Samsung repair centre a few miles from me will get it checked out
30th May 2017, 07:41 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Leeds

More
Still getting this after a week. Strange, refusing to charge at all now
1st June 2017, 06:32 PM |#9  
Flag Tucson
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Have you checked the charging port to be sure it is clean, no dust or lint. Try blowing into it or use compressed air. Also try a other charger.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
1st June 2017, 06:33 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Leeds

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm1947

Have you checked the charging port to be sure it is clean, no dust or lint. Try blowing into it or use compressed air. Also try a other charger.

I will try both of these thanks
26th June 2017, 12:56 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Same thing was happening to me, phone was only splashed but not submerged, when I started having the charging port moisture issue. I scoured posts on the issue and what worked for me was clearing the message from the status bar, shutting down the phone, then plugging the charger into the phone. It immediately began charging and when the phone was restarted (while still charging) the moisture message did not reappear.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)