Red tint on the screen

205 posts
Thanks Meter: 28

By SptMogul, Senior Member on 19th April 2017, 11:54 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
20th April 2017, 10:47 PM |#71  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I wish I just had red tint. Mine started to show grey on the always on display. Then I woke up this morning to a greenish screen that you could barely see. This afternoon the phone is just pixelated and whitish green. Hardware display malfunction. Now I have to wait a week to get a new one sent to me.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0899.JPG
Views:	1604
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	4120081Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0864.JPG
Views:	1622
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	4120082

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20th April 2017, 10:49 PM |#72  
Thanks Meter: 139

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjshenry

I wish I just had red tint. Mine started to show grey on the always on display. Then I woke up this morning to a greenish screen that you could barely see. This afternoon the phone is just pixelated and whitish green. Hardware display malfunction. Now I have to wait a week to get a new one sent to me.Attachment 4120081Attachment 4120082

Damn that is worse than the red tint, but who knows all our red tinted phones might get worse like yours.
20th April 2017, 11:02 PM |#73  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjshenry

I wish I just had red tint. Mine started to show grey on the always on display. Then I woke up this morning to a greenish screen that you could barely see. This afternoon the phone is just pixelated and whitish green. Hardware display malfunction. Now I have to wait a week to get a new one sent to me.Attachment 4120081Attachment 4120082

Wow that is rubbish - looks like puke.

Hopefully it'll be RMA'd quickly for you.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyguy

Never ordering a phone over the phone anymore. This is what they wrote to me about the return policy.

Buyers Remorse ?!?!? What absolute rubbish - the nerve.....
20th April 2017, 11:14 PM |#74  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
I have a red tint issue with mine. As noted by someone above - straight on (exactly straight on that is) - it looks pure white. Tilt the phone at any angle - even a few degrees and it turns pink. I turned the Red balance all the way down and it's still readily apparent. It gets grossly apparent beside my S7 Edge. The phone sits flat on my desk most of the time, so most of the time I see pink. Even holding it in my hand while texting, the phone moves/tilts enough to be flashing back and forth between pink and white - boy is THAT annoying.

I called AT&T and they were pretty good - told me I could take it into the closest store and exchange it. While on the phone with AT&T, I tried for an exchange tonight. The call center called the local store but the store manager can't do any exchanges since the phones will not show in their online inventory until morning.
They did warn me that they have limited numbers of S8+ and suggested that I be there when the store opened to have the best chance for an exchange. Sweet phone though, save for this display issue. TW has come a long ways too - if they would have vertical scrolling I think I might even take it over Nova.
The Following User Says Thank You to Theojt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Theojt Ad-Free
20th April 2017, 11:20 PM |#75  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
The number of phones with defective displays is already higher than the total number of Note 7 with defectives batteries! I pre-ordered the unlocked version but decided to cancel and wait until it's officially sold and exchangeable in the US.
20th April 2017, 11:22 PM |#76  
Thanks Meter: 139

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3rv

The number of phones with defective displays is already higher than the total number of Note 7 with defectives batteries! I pre-ordered the unlocked version but decided to cancel and wait until it's officially sold and exchangeable in the US.

Smart move. You dont want to have any warranty issue and have to live with the red tint.
20th April 2017, 11:51 PM |#77  
Thanks Meter: 476

More
I am pretty surprised that neither the media nor Samsung seem to really acknowledge the issue. To this point, it should be clear that the tint cannot be fixed in the settings. Still I didn't read a single article today about the issue or any new information from Sammy. Everything is from one or two days ago saying everything should be alright.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
21st April 2017, 12:01 AM |#78  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Well u best read some articles on the issue then,there are many, gsm arena was the first article that let me know about the widespread problem .but since then I've read 10 or more articles on the red screen issue I can link them if you like.here is a pic of my s8 plus uk unlocked it's pink as ****

21st April 2017, 12:46 AM |#79  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
Quality Control for our display is not priority. Sorry guys, Bixby is far more important. We must implement Bixby to data mine every aspect of your daily life. This has been the agenda all along fools! What, you thought we created this product for your viewing pleasure? Blind goats. If we were really concerned about user experience you would have all had sparkling snow white displays to look at. After all, isn't that what our marketing concept we lured you in with was all about. The 'Infinity' display? Suckers!

P.s. sattire, picking my S8+ up tomorrow. It better be WHITE else I will be seeing red not just on the display!
21st April 2017, 01:49 AM |#80  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Hi All,

Have had my S8+ since the 17th, and also have the red tint (although perhaps not as bad as some I have seen in pictures). Having spent a few days with it, played with every display setting (both through Settings and via dialer codes), followed multiple forums, and talked to a friend who designs image sensors and knows screens, I have a few early thoughts:

(1) The screen is much redder than seen in previous Samsung phones (I've owned a Note 4, Note 5 and 7 Edge), but in this case it is especially obvious due to the curved edges of the screen. Not sure why the red also appears at the top and bottom of the screen though. The red is also more obvious when you tilt the screen in certain directions. This last part isn't that surprising - the bluish tint on wife's Pixel shifts when you tilt the scree as well.

(2) The colour reproduction on the phone - if you ignore "pure" white - is excellent. Photos, videos etc look great.

(3) The red tint is barely visible in natural light, with the result that the phone screen probably looks at its best when you're in a naturally lit room. Was looking at my phone outside today and the screen was remarkably vivid and - it seemed to me - colour accurate.

Based on all of this - and what I have read about Samsung using new "Deep Red" AMOLED screens for these phones, I suspect that this isn't a defect (from their perspective at least). Instead, it may be the case they opted for redder screens in an effort to make the screens more vivid, and perhaps went too far for most people's tastes (including mine - I'm not a fan of the reddish tinge to white webpages). This doesn't explain why some screens don't appear to show the tint, although that may in part be due to screens being produced in different factories. I also suspect that part of the reason some people don't see the red is that the extent of it depends a little on lighting conditions. I didn't notice it until the second day of owning the phone, and only then in a darkish room with artificial light.

Anyway, time will tell what the source of all of this is. I expect that when the phone launches tomorrow a LOT of people are going to consider the screen too red, and then Samsung is going to have to decide what to do - I can't imagine they (or the carriers) will be keen on mass returns...
21st April 2017, 04:12 AM |#81  
Flag Newcastle
Thanks Meter: 454

More
Welp, I got my S8+ and it does appear to have a red tint issue. I have an S7 Edge too, which apparently does a much better job at displaying whites. I'm not sure if this problem is actually a defect though? It seems the red tint really shows if looking at the phone from an angle where on my S7 Edge, I can look from any angle, no tint!?

What we need to know to determine if this issue is hardware or software, can people who reported no tint advise if the unit does tint when viewing from an angle?

---------- Post added at 04:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJG

Anyway, time will tell what the source of all of this is. I expect that when the phone launches tomorrow a LOT of people are going to consider the screen too red, and then Samsung is going to have to decide what to do - I can't imagine they (or the carriers) will be keen on mass returns...

Yea, i dont think this is a defect but its certainly make me wonder why they did this to their display?

Anyways, this problem can 95% be corrected with a fw update; if the tint can be eliminated with with a color balance adjustment, then all sammy had to do is tweak the devault values for the other presets
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)