S8 Internet connection may not be available issue

Search This thread

bbersk

Apr 23, 2017
Just got the S8 and I have 3 Wi-Fi access points at home to cover the whole house. My S8 has been registered with the passwords for all of the APs but it continually rejects the connections with an exclamation mark after the WiFi icon having connected and then shown a message that the Internet connection may not be available. The Internet connection is available as other devices are connected and using it perfectly. If I switch the Wi-Fi on and off and reboot the S8 the issue corrects itself but I should not have to go through that nonsense every time I come home and want to use my Wi-Fi. I have explored the advanced options on the connection settings and they appear to be quite limited (DHCP Etc). Is there some way to solve this issue? I have no problem with other android devices connecting to the same hotspots. Any ideas that might lead to a solution would be appreciated. :)

mimo2008

Dec 23, 2010
Just got the S8 and I have 3 Wi-Fi access points at home to cover the whole house. My S8 has been registered with the passwords for all of the APs but it continually rejects the connections with an exclamation mark after the WiFi icon having connected and then shown a message that the Internet connection may not be available. The Internet connection is available as other devices are connected and using it perfectly. If I switch the Wi-Fi on and off and reboot the S8 the issue corrects itself but I should not have to go through that nonsense every time I come home and want to use my Wi-Fi. I have explored the advanced options on the connection settings and they appear to be quite limited (DHCP Etc). Is there some way to solve this issue? I have no problem with other android devices connecting to the same hotspots. Any ideas that might lead to a solution would be appreciated. :)

I had this problem when i first got my s8 from vodafone but when i got this latest update it's been good no issues with internet anymore.

djsean25

Apr 23, 2017
I have this problem as well with my S8 from Verizon. Worked flawlessly for a week and them today I get this error. Very frustrating. I know the SMG955U from Verizon is already unlocked but is there any way to put the International ROM on the phone seeing that the Verizon and the International are the same?

I've tried all the resets etc and the WiFi connects but I get the 'Internet connection may not be available' message.

bbersk

Apr 23, 2017
Update 27/04/2017

Thanks for the reply. My S8 developed some interesting issues including the switching on of 'do not disturb' mode intermittently and along with the Wi-Fi issue the mobile data was failing in areas where a full 4G signal was present. Rebooting, resetting etc did not resolve the issue and I returned the phone to CPW for advice. The staff at the Glasgow store wasted no time and exchanged it on the spot after some negotiation with their technical service centre. Full marks to CPW for the prompt service and I can report that all of the previous issues have now been resolved with the replacement handset. I thought it worthwhile to post this information so that others who experience similar issues may be able to get a similar resolution. :)

sefmars

Oct 31, 2011
Poor WIFI performance

I also have issues with the wifi of the phone, /i will get the terminal replace some time today or next week.

1. WIFI keeps disconnecting, actually it's flapping connct&disconnect for 5-10 min until it finally connects, on this matter I have seen on the acces point that it tried to allocate an ip from an unknown without asking DHCP server for an IP renew it actually tries to alocate itself the last known ip, and clearly disconnects because of lack of internet access, this happens normally as power saving mode is on, disabeling power saving and assigning a static ip on the phone seems to resolve the issue.

2. poor wifi signal... no fix for this thus far
- i have 580Mbps speed connection on my S5 and only 120-240Mbps on my S8, steaming not working and connection in general very bad, time ots and stuf, although I position myself at 10cm away from the wifi router antenas i only get 540Mbps signal, although I have an AC1750 router , s5 gets 840 in the same spot... I think the modem(that is part of the Exynos chipset) does not work wekll with Atheros based AP´s , I have an Archer C7 with 2.4ghz QCA9558 chipset capable of 450 Mbps theoretical speed, but only uses 2 antenas as s8 only has 2 from my knowledge and reaches a max of 140Mbps(should of connected at 300Mbps at 10cm in theory ) with the s8 and QCA9880-BR4A on the 5ghz side of things with a theoretical speed of 1300Mbps should work at 866 with the S8 because of the 2 antenas of the S8.

Attachments

• 10cm.jpg
    10cm.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 3,539
  • 10m.jpg
    10m.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 3,469
  • 10m-2.jpg
    10m-2.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 3,432

sefmars

Oct 31, 2011
phone changed 90% of problems fixed

Hello, just got my phone replaced, tha new unit has way better wifi signal considering I hace atheros router and the phone has broadcom 43xx chipset... worth considerign changing to a broadcom router...

Saurav913

Aug 16, 2016
Hi,
I have found a solution to this problem.

1. GO to wifi settings
2. Forget the wifi network
3. CONNECT AGAIN BUT BEFORE CONNECTING GO TO ADVANCED OPTIONS AND CHOOSE STATIC INSTEAD OF AUtOMATIC. Enter in the ip address etc and connect.( It requires to be entered manually) Problem will be solved.

Saurav913

Aug 16, 2016

Hi,

1. GO to wifi settings
3. CONNECT AGAIN BUT BEFORE CONNECTING GO TO ADVANCED OPTIONS AND CHOOSE STATIC INSTEAD OF AUtOMATIC. Enter in the ip address etc and connect. Problem will be solved.

Reactions: Juniaziz

imax1995

Nov 30, 2013
Lipomo (CO)
@Saurav913 doesn't work your tip,but my wifi drop too much especially in stanby (set it on always option) and till I wake up my phone i don't have wifi again with router Vodafone revolution..

Last edited:

Saeed13

May 20, 2017
Change the DNS...

Hi there..

I had just the same problem with s8 plus and s7 edge(after updating to android 7.0), it kept saying "internet may not be available", I changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and tue problem solved. Go to SETTINGS》WIFI》SSID》MANGE NETWORK》change the IP SETTINGS to STATIC》then change the DNS1 to 8.8.8.8 hit save and you are good to go.

Sorry if there are any mistakes. I am new to XDA and not good in english.

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

Hi there..

I had just the same problem with s8 plus and s7 edge(after updating to android 7.0), it kept saying "internet may not be available", I changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and tue problem solved. Go to SETTINGS》WIFI》SSID》MANGE NETWORK》change the IP SETTINGS to STATIC》then change the DNS1 to 8.8.8.8 hit save and you are good to go.

Reactions: jwbitterman

rdgalve03

May 30, 2017
I have same problem and it is very annoying. I got 2 S8 plus and both have the problem.

There are 3 WIFI Router that covers my house. I have problems saying internet might not be available every time I connect. This is very annoying. Other Phones in the house like Iphone do not have the problem.

What I noticed is that the IP range of my router is:

But my S8 says he is connected but the IP is

Anyone have same problem?

Thanks!

VagonDrake

Nov 16, 2013

I found a quick work around on how to fix this temporarily until Samsung issues a patch.
just turn off 5ghz SSID broadcasting and you should be ok for now.
here is a quick how to video i made on just in case.

https://youtu.be/Nu5FjDPLn-M

./Edward.sh

Oct 4, 2015
Homer, GA
I'm having a very similar problem with my home WiFi and my Verizon S8+ I bought from Samsung's website. I've tried switching from DHCP to static and entering all my info. No luck. I've also switched my dns1 to 8.8.8.8 and dns2 to 8.8.4.4, and my WiFi router is set to 2.4ghz only. No success in resolving the issue. Currently my phone will show the "internet may not be available" with the added exclaimation point for a few minutes when first connected, then the exclaimation goes away and I'll have regular full speed internet for around 25-45 seconds before it goes back to a non-internet state. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

*Hooligan*

May 15, 2008
Mobile
Try changing in your router the security setting. If your using WPA2 AES/TKIP, change to just WPA2 TKIP and see if this works for you...

I was having the same exact issue for months. I changed to TKIP only and have been rock solid ever since. No more ! at all... I'm gonna switch to just AES today and see how that works.

*Hooligan*

May 15, 2008
Mobile
Changed to WPA2-AES and within the hour had ! back and no internet. Went back to TKIP and rock solid again. Looks like a possible bug with AES to me. Sticking with wpa2-tkip setting for now.

AceSLive

Jan 25, 2017
I'm having this same exact issue.

Anyone who knows what to look for to fix this, what info or files do you need from me? I'm at the end of my tether with this ****

kg227

Aug 8, 2017
I am having the exact same issue on my galaxy tab s2, even on the replacement. Due to the being such an intermittent problem, it wouldn't do it when Samsung support checked it out...

This happens on both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz frequency for me. I've tried downloading a wifi fixer, I've reset network settings, and turned off nearby device scanning. I've also tried doing what a forum suggested by changing the ip settings from dhcp to static but it wouldn't connect to wifi at all. Not sure what else to try...

I read that it may be due to nougat 7.0 software. I was suggested by Samsung to first put the tablet on safe mode (this disables third party apps, and would reveil if an app was causing the problem) but the problem still persists. Also did a hard reset on the first tablet I had but it still done the same problem...

kingersj1

Nov 30, 2014
I always thought that this was a is problem in 7.0, and was addressed in 7.1. Hopefully, when the next major update comes out, this issue will be resolved.

JayJayaa

Jul 2, 2007
Oh come on Samsung!
It's been 4 months since the first post and still no solution.
And it's a basic wifi connection!
Internet may not be available! = Samsung may not be available

rasmuspersson1000

Nov 7, 2014
Heya all. First post I guess ;)
Edit: Gah it was the second. I have to controll myself better and not spam.

So I had the same problem and tried more or less all.

My "solution" was to disable the firewall on the router which means some settings/security there was triggered. My guess is that it's the "Smart Network connection" that trigger it if the phone have both poor Wi-Fi and 4G. It then jumps back and forward = firewall detect strange behaviour and block. That's why there are so many strange "fix" related to the router - hidden network - no security - disable 5Ghz and so on.

Can someone please test asap as I have a plan But if it's not this to test :)

Oh come on Samsung!
It's been 4 months since the first post and still no solution.
And it's a basic wifi connection!
Internet may not be available! = Samsung may not be available

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi,

1. GO to wifi settings
    3. CONNECT AGAIN BUT BEFORE CONNECTING GO TO ADVANCED OPTIONS AND CHOOSE STATIC INSTEAD OF AUtOMATIC. Enter in the ip address etc and connect. Problem will be solved.
    Change the DNS...

Hi there..

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

Hi there..