FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

S8 Locking up and restarting

10 posts
Thanks Meter: 1
 
By kartman_canada, Junior Member on 19th April 2017, 02:22 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
New S8 today... I was pumped but I'm starting to get concerned. I've tried with AOD on and off but if I pocket the device and walk around a bit it seems not to want to wake up and bring me to the lock screen.

Once I get it to respond, it's restarting.... Boooo

Any thoughts? Defective unit?
 
 
19th April 2017, 02:46 AM |#2  
peachpuff's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 801
 
More
Wipe the phone and try again.
19th April 2017, 02:54 AM |#3  
BarryH_GEG's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 5,153
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartman_canada

New S8 today... I was pumped but I'm starting to get concerned. I've tried with AOD on and off but if I pocket the device and walk around a bit it seems not to want to wake up and bring me to the lock screen.

Once I get it to respond, it's restarting.... Boooo

Any thoughts? Defective unit?

Did you restore from your old phone with Smart Switch? Sometimes Samsung's or third party apps can create version conflicts when they're moved over. BTW, where are you and what's the region of your phone?
19th April 2017, 03:03 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Canada on Rogers...

The phone is obviously new and I'm coming over from an HTC. I did a fresh setup from scratch as I'm new to Samsung.

My phone did do a major update soon after turning on for the first time.
19th April 2017, 03:05 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachpuff

Wipe the phone and try again.

I can but it was new 12hrs ago... should wiping be needed at this point?
19th April 2017, 03:05 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 51
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartman_canada

Canada on Rogers...

The phone is obviously new and I'm coming over from an HTC. I did a fresh setup from scratch as I'm new to Samsung.

My phone did do a major update soon after turning on for the first time.

Did it ask you if you wanted to update or did it just do it?
19th April 2017, 03:10 AM |#7  
BarryH_GEG's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 5,153
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartman_canada

Canada on Rogers...

I wonder if it has anything to do with them (Rogers) botching the launch with the way they loaded the IMEI numbers? Go to the customer forum on Roger's website and see if any other customers are having similar issues.
19th April 2017, 03:12 AM |#8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachpuff

Wipe the phone and try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phone Company

Did it ask you if you wanted to update or did it just do it?

That's a very good question. I was busy installing apps as I'm travelling tomorrow for work. Honestly, I dont remember it asking but I may have accidentally accepted. It certainly wasn't a big cautious ask, if there was a prompt.
20th April 2017, 12:38 AM |#9  
Senior Member
Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Mine is doing the exact same thing

S8 plus, New setup
20th April 2017, 12:49 AM |#10  
BarryH_GEG's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 5,153
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianZX9

Mine is doing the exact same thing

S8 plus, New setup

What carrier and country?
20th April 2017, 12:25 PM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I'm getting the same problem on my S8 standard. Randomly, the screen will have some artefacts appear (nearly always on the bottom) then it just restarts. Happens in safe mode too so it doesn't appear to be an app causing it. Phoned Samsung and they told me to send it back to the retailers and ask for a replacement.

So that sucks. Besides on this forum I haven't seen anyone else talking about this, so I guess it's not a wide spread problem.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes