S8 Locking up and restarting

10 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By kartman_canada, Junior Member on 19th April 2017, 02:22 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
20th April 2017, 12:25 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm getting the same problem on my S8 standard. Randomly, the screen will have some artefacts appear (nearly always on the bottom) then it just restarts. Happens in safe mode too so it doesn't appear to be an app causing it. Phoned Samsung and they told me to send it back to the retailers and ask for a replacement.

So that sucks. Besides on this forum I haven't seen anyone else talking about this, so I guess it's not a wide spread problem.

20th April 2017, 02:27 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
At&the in the US.
Received phone yesterday and used smart switch to transfer from my Samsung Edge phone. Everything was working great but now the screen is not working...frozen. it won't reboot, nothing works!
22nd April 2017, 03:49 PM |#13  
Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Verizon S8+ US

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

For me it seems to be directly related to biometrics, if I have the fingerprint reader and face recognition enabled at the same time it locks up often.

Or iris scanner and fingerprint reader both enabled I get lockups.

It will get stuck on the always on screen, yippy can press the home button and feel the haptic feedback but nothing happens.
26th April 2017, 03:17 PM |#14  
Flag South Amboy, NJ
Thanks Meter: 35

More
s8 plus retart
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartman_canada

New S8 today... I was pumped but I'm starting to get concerned. I've tried with AOD on and off but if I pocket the device and walk around a bit it seems not to want to wake up and bring me to the lock screen.

Once I get it to respond, it's restarting.... Boooo

Any thoughts? Defective unit?

the exact same problem is happening to my new s8 plus as well... even had T-Mobile send me another.. same issue with that too... AOD goes dim.. phone becomes unresponsive and then restarts. already did this 3 times today.. tried turning of OAD.. no luck.. I did notice that it happens a lot when I put phone in pocket.

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG

Did you restore from your old phone with Smart Switch? Sometimes Samsung's or third party apps can create version conflicts when they're moved over. BTW, where are you and what's the region of your phone?

I restored both phones using smart restore.. could it be that I have to manually restore my phone? ie.. install each application seperately
26th April 2017, 08:22 PM |#15  
Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I dont think smart restore is the issue, it has something to do with the lock/AOD screen and power save.

It is getting stuck in some low power state and its not coming back.

I have tested with multiple fresh installs and the issue persists.

I am on my second Verizon S8+ and still having the issue.
27th April 2017, 01:43 PM |#16  
Flag South Amboy, NJ

More
Same here .. 2 units.. s8plus on tmobile... decided to factory reset.. didn't install any sofware.. had on wireless charger.. while watching tv I noticed my phone scree n turn on... damn thing just restarted!! Samsung says to run in safe mode to eliminate 3rd party software conflicts.... REALLY?
27th April 2017, 02:24 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 235

More
Mine never restarted or locked up, so must be something particular. Interesting theory about fingerprint and iris scanners conflicting: Once I set up fingerprint, I can't get iris scan to work at all.
27th April 2017, 02:57 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 359

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4k

Mine never restarted or locked up, so must be something particular. Interesting theory about fingerprint and iris scanners conflicting: Once I set up fingerprint, I can't get iris scan to work at all.

Not true I have them both enabled and can you them however I feel.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
27th April 2017, 03:08 PM |#19  
Flag Detroit
Thanks Meter: 118

Donate to Me
More
You guys that are having issues...

Do you have a Micro SD in the phone?
27th April 2017, 03:31 PM |#20  
Flag South Amboy, NJ

More
Yes.. i have max 256
27th April 2017, 05:35 PM |#21  
Flag Detroit
Thanks Meter: 118

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamasjkh

Yes.. i have max 256

My phone was locking up,restarting and constantly freezing until I took the microsd card out. Now it works great. My micro sd was a samsung brand. Have you seen any issues with your card unmounting randomly?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)