Samsung is not honoring its Galaxy S8 $200 trade-in discount for many customers

Search This thread

Charkatak

Aug 11, 2012
WA
FYI - Just received an email from Samsung after over a month of waiting for it and also the status has changed to "product verified"

We’re happy to inform you that your Trade-In was successful and your device met all of our product eligibility criteria. We hope you’re enjoying your new Galaxy S8 64GB (Unlocked). Thank you for participating in the Samsung Trade-In Program. No further action is needed at this point.

J M L

Sep 24, 2010
I too just got the success email from Samsung. I shipped my trade-in on July 12, and they received it on July 14, so they took their time in approving it. I never contacted them, because as long as they hadn't charged my card, I didn't care how long they took.

The phone I traded in was an AT&T Galaxy S Captivate, so the original Galaxy S. Perhaps they'll put it in a museum, because it's certainly not worth anything.

Yawgmoth124

Nov 17, 2016
Sorry for the necro

2 months after they received my phone on 7/14 they finally replied yesterday on 9/21 to tell me they won't be accepting the phone they were clearly waiting for my own return window and RMA window to close before getting back to me. I will be taking them to court with pictures and video of the phone working in perfect condition. Really sad that I have to waste the effort to do so. I will no longer be doing business with Samsung in the future....

ccic2491

Jun 3, 2012
Charlotte
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 10 Pro
FYI - Just received an email from Samsung after over a month of waiting for it and also the status has changed to "product verified"

We’re happy to inform you that your Trade-In was successful and your device met all of our product eligibility criteria. We hope you’re enjoying your new Galaxy S8 64GB (Unlocked). Thank you for participating in the Samsung Trade-In Program. No further action is needed at this point.

I got the same email today.

gynaecoid

Sep 23, 2017
Samsung trade-in program is a total scam

This Samsung trade-in program is complete scam! I send them my wife's HTC LTE phone which is a bit old but was in perfect working condition with some minor scratches on the sides but that's about it - battery holds the charge, not a scratch on the screen. But yesterday I got a message from Samsung that I will be charged $175 because my phone was not qualified: The following condition was not met: "Functioning display, & cracked screen".
Actually, I was anticipating that GNUSMAS would try to do something like that, so I shoot the video right before shipping my phone to them. Unfortunately I can't post a link here due to restrictions for the newly registered users but you can type following title in youtube to find it "Samsung S8 Trade-in scam"
But the main frustration is that you need to call their eCommerce department which is MISSION IMPOSSIBLE and regular custom support can't do anything about it either. I tried to call them few time thorough out the day and even stayed on the line for more then 90mins but could not reach out to anyone!!!
Well, $175 is not such a big deal for me but I absolutely hate when company try to scam you like this, so I'll make GNUSMAS work hard for my money! I'm thinking about sharing my XP with websites like Engadget, Gizmodo etc, writing to BBB and disputing the charge when it arrives on my credit card. What else do you think I should do?

Yawgmoth124

Nov 17, 2016
This Samsung trade-in program is complete scam! I send them my wife's HTC LTE phone which is a bit old but was in perfect working condition with some minor scratches on the sides but that's about it - battery holds the charge, not a scratch on the screen. But yesterday I got a message from Samsung that I will be charged $175 because my phone was not qualified: The following condition was not met: "Functioning display, & cracked screen".
Actually, I was anticipating that GNUSMAS would try to do something like that, so I shoot the video right before shipping my phone to them. Unfortunately I can't post a link here due to restrictions for the newly registered users but you can type following title in youtube to find it "Samsung S8 Trade-in scam"
But the main frustration is that you need to call their eCommerce department which is MISSION IMPOSSIBLE and regular custom support can't do anything about it either. I tried to call them few time thorough out the day and even stayed on the line for more then 90mins but could not reach out to anyone!!!
Well, $175 is not such a big deal for me but I absolutely hate when company try to scam you like this, so I'll make GNUSMAS work hard for my money! I'm thinking about sharing my XP with websites like Engadget, Gizmodo etc, writing to BBB and disputing the charge when it arrives on my credit card. What else do you think I should do?

Do not dispute the charge or they can blacklist your phone, you can take them to court in small claims and ask for the $175 and court filing fees back. Or you can take them through the arbitration they forced upon everyone. Either way best of luck Samsung's handling of this and getting back to people 2-3 months later is nonsense. Best of luck

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When did you order yours? Mine has been on backorder since 6/23.

I placed the order on June 20th and then after an hour it started showing back-order. There was a delay in shipping and my order shipped on 29th.
    How long after fexed delivers the trade-in do you get the email? Mine is showing delivery for tomorrow at the TX return address.
    You get more money for the S7 ($300 I think) but it clearly stated $200 for ANY smartphone in really good condition. If you read the small print it basically said trade in values may vary. That means they pulled a fast one and are giving almost everyone $25. Once you've traded it in you're screwed because you'll get $25 and you can't get your old phone back. So trade in a phone worth nothing, at least you'll get $25 for it.
    I hate to bum you out, but I got $200 off in trade in for my Le Eco Le Max 2. deal also had another $100 off in the first place for a total of $300. I only paid $425 (less than what a OnePlus 5 costs) for my unlocked Galaxy S8. I wasn't ripped off too badly.
    My acceptance email came 9 days after delivery.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    There are others besides myself that got the deal. Samsung honored the deal. It seems that the ones complaining are ones that sent them $50 phones expecting to get a $200 discount. Granted this wasn't listed in the basic requirements, but in the fine print it does state that Samsung reserves the right to make all final decisions as to whether the trade-in meets THEIR requirements. So that means they reserve the right, for any reason they deem, to refuse giving the full refund and if that was the case, the individual would only get $25. Was I 100% sure that my trade-in would be accepted? No, I wasn't, but if you are fair with them, they would be fair with you. After all, after the Note 7 fiasco, they are trying to win consumers back. Not scare even more away! Think about it logically.

What about if a person was using his/her phone for 4 years and decided to get another phone and Samsung's deal was advertised. That person's phone could cost $50 or less, as you mentioned, don't you think that it would still be fair if that person sends this phone to Samsung as a trade-in? In my view it doesn't matter how much the phone is, as long as it is a smartphone in the condition stated in Samsung's trade-in rules.